Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight, am I right about this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Weight, am I right about this?

Trying to sort through some weights on my LSX swap into my 96 Impala SS, not because I'm too concerned with total weight but hoping to keep the weight somewhat stable to keep the springs I have up front/keep ride height the same.

The car originally had an iron block gen 2 LT1. Doing some searching I have found a few guys say the lt1 block weighs about 200lbs bare.

The new motor is an LSX 376 B15. The LSX block from what I have seen weighs in at a hefty 227lbs, so lets call it 30lbs more than the LT1.

I'm sure the LSX-LS3 heads on the B15 are beefy, and I don't know how an LS head compares to an LT, but I know even the heaviest of AL heads seem to be around 10lbs lighter than their iron counter parts, so I'm hoping that 20 lb savings makes up for the block weight difference.

Complete LSA supercharger setup adds 75lbs so I've heard.

Nothing deleted from the car (retains AC, PS, power brakes etc...). Aluminum front bumper support shaved me off 35lbs. I'd like to go with a Carbon Fiber hood from Sun coast creations with an 8lb total weight. never weighed the stocker but it's huge, I'd imagine that would be at least a 35lb savings.

If I'm even close to accurate with all this, it seems like it could be a wash. With relocating the battery to the trunk it seems like I'd definitely be in the clear with keeping the weight about the same for the front springs. What do you guys think? Anyone see anything wrong with any of the weights I listed?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

LSx head castings are around 35 lbs apiece. That's probably more than 20 lbs lighter than SBC iron head castings.

All the same, your spring rate is something in the range of 350 - 400 lbs per inch at the spring; which, since the wheel has leverage on the spring, translates to around 225 - 275 at the wheel.

You're talking about less than ¼" of difference. IOW, the weight of a heavy coat of wax will be about equal. It's down in the noise somewhere.

"measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe"

You'll be fine. Won't even notice it.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av
LSx head castings are around 35 lbs apiece. That's probably more than 20 lbs lighter than SBC iron head castings.

All the same, your spring rate is something in the range of 350 - 400 lbs per inch at the spring; which, since the wheel has leverage on the spring, translates to around 225 - 275 at the wheel.

You're talking about less than ¼" of difference. IOW, the weight of a heavy coat of wax will be about equal. It's down in the noise somewhere.

"measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe"

You'll be fine. Won't even notice it.

Awesome! That is some good news and one less thing to worry about with this swap LOL thank you!