Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke my alternator battery output post?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke my alternator battery output post?

Its a DR44G I believe. Well, I noticed a loose connection between the alternator post and the battery connection. When I tried to tighten it, it straight up snapped it right off. I had to layer on duct tape and that got me home. But how do I replace that post? I watched a video on YouTube, but I'm not sure if I have to completely take it apart to get to the post?

Right now, I have the outside tube and plastic backing off. Can I take the post off from here?

Also, is it a bad idea to cut the outside tube down so I can fit a nut back on? It snapped right at the top of the outside tube. So I feel like I can cut it down slightly, and get away with it. But I wanna know if its an easy fix to just change the post first, but I can't find any information at all for the output post itself.

Last edited by Dingö; 09-23-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get a new rectifier. Your brushes are probably shot anyways.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Well, I got it working for now. I cut the post sleeve down to where I have just enough room to put a bolt on, and it seems to be working fine for now.

Also, what is the rectifier? The whole side of the alternator with the output post?
Old 09-24-2018, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It’s part of the internal electronics. Changes the AC voltage from the windings into DC. Also looks like the rectifier and regulator are separate on the DR44G - so a new rectifier won’t replace the brushes.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Default Bat post

when it broke off did it break at the insulator, other words is there enough thread when u take off insulator?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 596 Likes on 411 Posts

Just go get another alt and turn that one in for the core. Somebody else's problem now. No way to "fix" that reliably.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Just go get another alt and turn that one in for the core. Somebody else's problem now. No way to "fix" that reliably.
So many things wrong with that. First of all, any place the takes cores is a place like Vato Zone and only sells garbage. Second, a new rectifier is like $50 and is very fixable.