Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 wet sump conversion, how to get oil in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question LS7 wet sump conversion, how to get oil in the engine?

I'm just about to convert my LS7 to wet sump. There are several guides to be found on this topic that shows both what parts you need as well as how it's actually done.

However, none that I've found explains what to do about the plug in the right hand valve cover on the LS7 where you have the oil lid on an LS3 for example. Can you remove the plug and then buy and fit the LS3 parts or do you need the whole LS3 valve cover or something?

Thanks,
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just take out the "LS7 Plug/Cap" and install the regular LS3 Fill Tube and Cap. The LS7 passenger cover is the same as a LS3, the driver's side cover has a different "tube fitting" on it that connects with the line going to the Dry Sump Tank. On LS3's you just plug that port with a rubber cap and a clamp.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear Now I just need to find the part numbers
Old 02-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you converted your LS7 to wet sump, did you drill the block and install a dipstick? I know a few companies make a jig to do it, just nervous to do that to my block!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 6T7LS7
When you converted your LS7 to wet sump, did you drill the block and install a dipstick? I know a few companies make a jig to do it, just nervous to do that to my block!
Yes I did, it was no big deal really. There is a "bunge" in the block so no question where to drill, I did not need a jig, I just had a look at an LS3 and measured the diameter. drilled a pilot hole first and then the final hole, some deburring and then it was done. I used all stock GM parts to complete the conversion. Just make sure to use a corresponding tube and stick depending on the oil pan you plan to use or it might read the wrong oil level. Also take care to remove all the metal that comes from the drilling so it does not end up inside the engine. Pretty straight forward really

Just don't drill a too big hole from the beginning, I did it in a couple of steps to get it perfect so that the O-ring in the dipstick tube seals properly.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Good info. I plan to drill mine and know it won't be much of an issue since it's aluminum.

I plan on filling the pan with the right amount of oil and marking that level on the dipstick.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 6T7LS7
Good info. I plan to drill mine and know it won't be much of an issue since it's aluminum.

I plan on filling the pan with the right amount of oil and marking that level on the dipstick.
Just use the designated tube and dipstick for what ever oil pan you plan to use and you won't have to worry about the level being wrong. I used the Mast LS conversion pan and they use the same tube and dipstick as the C6 Corvette, no need to fill and mark anything. GM parts 12570787 tube and 12570788 dipstick.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I've drilled a few dry sump blocks for the dipstick.... just take a micrometer and measure the dipstick tube... pilot hole with smaller bit.... then micrometer on final bit size slightly larger than the dipstick... may take a couple tries to reach final hole size. It is good to have another block there for angle reference which is what I did.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Just use the designated tube and dipstick for what ever oil pan you plan to use and you won't have to worry about the level being wrong. I used the Mast LS conversion pan and they use the same tube and dipstick as the C6 Corvette, no need to fill and mark anything. GM parts 12570787 tube and 12570788 dipstick.

Great, I planned on running the MAST pan also since the Holley won't clear the crank. This is going in my 67 Camaro.

I know there's many articles on how to do this, but where did you get the parts to swap to a wet sump?