Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 question on intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 question on intake

I am new to LS world, I bought a 2009 LY6 from the boneyard with low miles for a great deal. Will be changing the cam to what the hot rod article had when they deleted the VVT and first went with LQ9 cam, then a trackmax cam that pumped out 514hp and 493 tq with no loss down low. Until I am ready for boost, this would be perfect.

Plan is either a 81-87 Regal or 99-04 New edge mustang.

I have all of the supporting parts figured out, mounts/K member, exhaust, trans (TKO 600 Ford, quick time bell), etc.

I know what I would need to either run the stock truck in the G body or switch to LS3 intake for Mustang hood clearance. From what I have read they flow almost the same, so no need to change for G body.

In reading the two shootout articles for EFI vs Carb, both using the LS3 as control, I was reallly surprised by the torque numbers the Holley dual plane intake had down low.

The dyno sheet seems weird, as they don't show the holley below 3300 but they show the LS3 starting at 3000, I think the torque spread below would have been even wider

Anyway, I like simple, I hate carbs, but I do already have a sniper tbi 650 hp system that I am no longer using.

Would I really be hurting myself that much if I went holley dual plane with msd ignition and sniper TBI?

The loss of HP along the curve was very small, especially in relation to gain in torque down low.

the car will be 100% street driven. I live for the seat in pants feeling.

Help me understand why most say this is a bad idea.

The sniper solves the cold start and tuning issues a carb would have.

Does a dual plane really run that crappy on a LS engine?

the dyno sheet doesn't show the real world, so looking for opnions.

Please don't roast me. I am Ford guy, I think the LS is the most amazing engine I have ever read about and I want to learn more.

I am not opposed to boost down the road

I have a 408W in my 91 notch mustang. It is fun, but honestly to make any power with a windsor drivability really suffers and looking for something I can drive everyday. The notch I feel like I just ran a marathon when I get home. My nose is burning, my ears hurt, I am certainly getting old lol

Old 12-11-2018, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would stick with the either the stock LY6 intake or LS3 intake . Save money too if you can use the LY6 intake . That is only because I'm biased to factory stuff but only because it works well , its proven and its cheap . I would even run a factory DBC computer , just get a plug and play harness, easy to tune , tons of support and good driveability . Can also support A/c and cruise if that matters .

But seeing that you have the TBI system , running a dual plane will have a negligible difference at your horse power level , especially if you don't plan to spin it past 6000rpms . Probably be the easiest to setup as well in your case .
Old 12-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You have to remember the dyno sheet was at wide open throttle. Unless you plan on staying below 4000 RPM everytime you go wide open (might as well not do the LS swap if you do), you're not going to see that torque difference.
Get a real EFI setup, not a slightly more complicated carburetor and MSD box.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Help me understand what you mean by the dyno sheet is at wot?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The dyno sheet you posted is only at wide open throttle.
Wide open throttle torque/power gains do not equal cruising torque and power gains.

So unless you plan on never going above 4000 RPM at wide open throttle, then the dual plane is a waste.
Unless you've seen a fixed throttle % dyno comparison between the 2 to see the torque difference while cruising, then you have zero data for anything other than full throttle pulls.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Ahh ok I understand now...thanks