Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 102 Race Runners vs. Ported MSD - LS7

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast 102 Race Runners vs. Ported MSD - LS7

Good Morning

Was just looking at Fast’s race runners and they look like they will definitely add more power the bigger the engine like my 454. I already have the Fast 102 with regular runners.

I’ve also been thinking about Mamo’s ported MSD and how it would fair against a Fast 102 with race runners on my 454.

Or would an ITB or sheet metal be better for my setup?
I’m keeping it NA.

I’ve heard mix reviews on ITBs. Some people gained yet others reported similar gains to those with Fast 102s and MSDs.

I’m actually lost at this point and need to squeeze the most HP out of my setup.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by 20SS06; 01-21-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:21 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Your very limited as to what you can do with your low hood. I’m sure you’ve seen, over on Corvette Forum, what those guys are chasing with their big engines. Plenum volume is key to feeding these engines. The best current front feeding, single Tb intake for an ls7 with extra cubic inches is the ported MSD, and Tony is king. At this point, if I were you, I’d call Tony direct. He’s spent the last 3 years working with his LS7 program, and in fact he’s already found new stuff since I bought my top end from him. My heads are going back to him this spring. Nobody out there has put more research into the LS7 package. He will shoot you straight, and has the best customer service in the industry. If your serious, he’s your answer.
Hes a busy boy. Leave a message and he will hit you back.

Tony Mamo
661-714-1317
The following users liked this post:
P Dunn 01 (06-23-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Your very limited as to what you can do with your low hood. I’m sure you’ve seen, over on Corvette Forum, what those guys are chasing with their big engines. Plenum volume is key to feeding these engines. The best current front feeding, single Tb intake for an ls7 with extra cubic inches is the ported MSD, and Tony is king. At this point, if I were you, I’d call Tony direct. He’s spent the last 3 years working with his LS7 program, and in fact he’s already found new stuff since I bought my top end from him. My heads are going back to him this spring. Nobody out there has put more research into the LS7 package. He will shoot you straight, and has the best customer service in the industry. If your serious, he’s your answer.
Hes a busy boy. Leave a message and he will hit you back.

Tony Mamo
661-714-1317
Why does everyone say it’s still restrictive and I would be happier with a sheet metal or even better an ITB?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 20SS06

Why does everyone say it’s still restrictive and I would be happier with a sheet metal or even better an ITB?
Restrictive at high RPM. If you are planning on spinning past 7000ish youll see more power with a different style intake than a compact composite is what he is saying.

If cost is no object I'd call Marcella for a sheet metal intake or an ITB manufacture and talk about your goals. Otherwise the MSD is the best compact composite LS7 intake on the market currently.
If you arent planning on moonRPM and its a street motor the MSD will be fine.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS06
Good Morning

Was just looking at Fast’s race runners and they look like they will definitely add more power the bigger the engine like my 454. I already have the Fast 102 with regular runners.

I’ve also been thinking about Mamo’s ported MSD and how it would fair against a Fast 102 with race runners on my 454.

Or would an ITB or sheet metal be better for my setup?
I’m keeping it NA.

I’ve heard mix reviews on ITBs. Some people gained yet others reported similar gains to those with Fast 102s and MSDs.

I’m actually lost at this point and need to squeeze the most HP out of my setup.

Any input is appreciated.

My ported MSD for the LS7 is as proven a piece as it gets and has trounced some expensive $3500 billet / sheetmetal intakes as well.....its really a very difficult manifold to beat unless your building an 8500 RPM true drag race application and buy a purpose built custom intake for that application.

I have built countless 625 - 660 RWHP OEM 427 builds utilizing this intake and a 700 RWHP 454 as well.

Also FAST does not offer a race runner for the LS7.....only the LS3 and you give up a bunch of bottom and midrange power when you move into those shorter runner lengths.....there is no free lunch IMO with the exception of a properly modified MSD.

I have guys picking up 40 - 45 RWHP over a stock intake in more aggressive applications.....those are numbers usually associated with a head swap not a manifold swap

There are a bunch of threads (independent build and dyno threads) concerning my ported MSD intake (Google Mamo ported MSD), but here is one that you should check out of you haven't seen it already

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-mamo-vs.html

The MSD fattens the curve everywhere and I tell people works better than it should even up top for a manifold design that works so well at the bottom and middle of the curve as well....its as close to the "Have your cake and eat it too scenario" as it gets and I have dyno tested more manifolds in the last 20 years than I can remember.

Feel free to email or call me if you would like more information or would like to place an order.

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-21-2019 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
P Dunn 01 (06-23-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
My ported MSD for the LS7 is as proven a piece as it gets and has trounced some expensive $3500 billet / sheetmetal intakes as well.....its really a very difficult manifold to beat unless your building an 8500 RPM true drag race application and buy a purpose built custom intake for that application.

I have built countless 625 - 660 RWHP OEM 427 builds utilizing this intake and a 700 RWHP 454 as well.

Also FAST does not offer a race runner for the LS7.....only the LS3 and you give up a bunch of bottom and midrange power when you move into those shorter runner lengths.....there is no free lunch IMO with the exception of a properly modified MSD.

I have guys picking up 40 - 45 RWHP over a stock intake in more aggressive applications.....those are numbers usually associated with a head swap not a manifold swap

There are a bunch of threads (independent build and dyno threads) concerning my ported MSD intake (Google Mamo ported MSD), but here is one that you should check out of you haven't seen it already

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-mamo-vs.html

The MSD fattens the curve everywhere and I tell people works better than it should even up top for a manifold design that works so well at the bottom and middle of the curve as well....its as close to the "Have your cake and eat it too scenario" as it gets and I have dyno tested more manifolds in the last 20 years than I can remember.

Feel free to email or call me if you would like more information or would like to place an order.

Cheers,
Tony
PM sent
Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dckmn52
Restrictive at high RPM. If you are planning on spinning past 7000ish youll see more power with a different style intake than a compact composite is what he is saying.

If cost is no object I'd call Marcella for a sheet metal intake or an ITB manufacture and talk about your goals. Otherwise the MSD is the best compact composite LS7 intake on the market currently.
If you arent planning on moonRPM and its a street motor the MSD will be fine.
Thanks for this.

Yes, the majority have been saying the same thing. But when I talked to a guy who actually has the Harrop ITB with a box setup to pull air from the front of the engine / on top of the radiator, he said that if Iwere going to a max RPM of 6500 then the ITB will be more beneficial since it produces peak HP at around there. And that if I wanted to rev higher then a Fast or MSD would be more suited for my application.

I’m absolutely torn at this point and should probably listen to what Tony has to say.

Last edited by 20SS06; 01-21-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If it produces peak tq at that rpm it's not peak hp unless it fell of very hard which it wouldn't. Tony is very smart & will point you in right direction.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
If it produces peak tq at that rpm it's not peak hp unless it fell of very hard which it wouldn't. Tony is very smart & will point you in right direction.
Typo! Peak hp not peak torque.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I gained about 4 mph with a low pro sniper intake over a mid runner fast shifting around 8000
Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
I gained about 4 mph with a low pro sniper intake over a mid runner fast shifting around 8000
I haven't been following all the threads on here. I do remember you ran low 10's previously, did the sniper get you into the 9's ? Or the 10.0 in sig.