Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt rpm limit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,693 Likes on 2,247 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Yep, bando is a cheapo. I'm familiar with them, not because I use them, but because I've always avoided them.
I use a local independent parts house (amazing that they are still standing with the big 3 in town) for lots of different stuff, and I went in yesterday to get him to order me a Gates RPM belt, since they carry Gates. He asked me what belt shredded and when I told him the belt name, he laughed. I’ve never seen him laugh in 20 years. I told him the belt came my Holley accessories, and he told me I knew better. He was right!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,245 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Gotta love parts guys like him!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 224 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Good to know about the Gates RPM belt.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle

I use a local independent parts house (amazing that they are still standing with the big 3 in town) for lots of different stuff, and I went in yesterday to get him to order me a Gates RPM belt, since they carry Gates. He asked me what belt shredded and when I told him the belt name, he laughed. I’ve never seen him laugh in 20 years. I told him the belt came my Holley accessories, and he told me I knew better. He was right!

Haha that's pretty funny. I have one of those guys at the local parts house. Older man if he cracked a smile it would crack his face. Saw him driving a couple of days ago, with a parrot on his shoulder.. Not sure how that's relevant but it was interesting.

Kinda crappy to pay all that money for the holley accessories and get a crapo belt. They were probably trying to keep cost down, but it was likely only about $10, certainly not worth the destruction and mess. I'd be pretty aggravated.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:21 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thought I’d update this thread. So I purchased the Katech tensioner for the Chevelle...and...I bought a Gates RPM belt, well bought two actually, one for the trunk in case I lost a belt again while out somewhere. Car no longer has belt issues. It’s been to rev-limiter quite a few times this past summer and fall without issue. Having changed to the Katech tensioner and a high quality belt simultaneously ruled out me figuring out the exact fix, but I’m 99% sure the tensioner cured the issues. I say that because I figured out that my engine revving quickly, just sitting in the shop, would cause the belt to jump a few grooves forward, over on the A/C side of the setup, where the tensioner is. So what I believe was happening was the tensioner did not have enough tension to hold the belt in place during rapid acceleration. Car revs very fast with 720+ hp at the crank, and the Oem tensioner just couldn’t hold the belt on...
So the Katech tensioner is highly recommend and the uber expensive Gates RPM belts @ $80 each seem to be doing their job as well. Bottom line is I don’t have belt issues anymore. Hope this helps someone out there in cyber land searching around for a fix to an issue similiar to mine.
The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 932 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I use the Katech tensioner as standard equipment for my builds.
.Andrew
Old 12-07-2019, 08:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a high wall pulley with stock tensioner and A/C running low nines and have never thru a belt yet?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Thought I’d update this thread. So I purchased the Katech tensioner for the Chevelle...and...I bought a Gates RPM belt, well bought two actually, one for the trunk in case I lost a belt again while out somewhere. Car no longer has belt issues. It’s been to rev-limiter quite a few times this past summer and fall without issue. Having changed to the Katech tensioner and a high quality belt simultaneously ruled out me figuring out the exact fix, but I’m 99% sure the tensioner cured the issues. I say that because I figured out that my engine revving quickly, just sitting in the shop, would cause the belt to jump a few grooves forward, over on the A/C side of the setup, where the tensioner is. So what I believe was happening was the tensioner did not have enough tension to hold the belt in place during rapid acceleration. Car revs very fast with 720+ hp at the crank, and the Oem tensioner just couldn’t hold the belt on...
So the Katech tensioner is highly recommend and the uber expensive Gates RPM belts @ $80 each seem to be doing their job as well. Bottom line is I don’t have belt issues anymore. Hope this helps someone out there in cyber land searching around for a fix to an issue similiar to mine.
I was throwing belts every time I walked the throttle on my 436ci stoker engine way back in 2002. I bought the Katech fixed tensioner and of course the problem was solved. But another fact that most people do not believe......I still have the same belt on my car when I replaced the belt back in 2002 when I installed the Katech tensioner.

These belts can literally last for 20 years......I too have a second belt that I bought back in 2002 and \kept it ion the back of my car, its still there too....LOL A belt that uses a tensioner that can bounce around like factory ones......thats what destroys and stretches belts. When a fixed tensioner is used it doesn't allow a belt to stretch at all, because it does not bounce and get yanked all over the place.

What even more stupid.....GM can design a fixed tensioner for less money and make more profit.......but instead they produce that piece pf garbage spring loaded tensioner....strange....

I'm waiting for my 17 year old belt to break.....
Che70velle (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that if you have belt slip from the tensioner not keeping the belt tight you're going to have a lot of slip and heat. That is probably what killed it.

Along with being a lower quality belt.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:06 PM
ModSquad

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
One thing I didn't see mentioned is that if you have belt slip from the tensioner not keeping the belt tight you're going to have a lot of slip and heat. That is probably what killed it.

Along with being a lower quality belt.
Agreed. Had a good bit of belt slip due to tensioner. Alternator face was covered in black belt rubber dust as was the front of the ATI damper.
00pooterSS (12-10-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Went through this problem on my 427 build as well - any time I went WOT at a lower gear, the belt would get tossed. (It's the RPM delta that throws belts, not necessarily just the RPM itself)
Manual tensioner fixed the problem here as well.

I do wanna say though that, with the new build being revved higher than factory (up to 7,000 rpm) I threw belts far below that, around 6500.

Last edited by AndyTA; 12-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt rpm limit?