Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Wont start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Where is the present regulator, and where did you read the pressure?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no idea where the pressure regulator is, no ideas what it looks like, and no idea if I even have one.

as far as reading fuel pressure, I have a blue tooth dongle that read the pressure for previous posts however that was questioned so I bought a mechanical gauge. On the driver side of the LS7 the fuel rail has a connector on the very front end of it. I simply unscrewed the plastic cap on it and screwed the fuel pressure gauge on there. About 10 psi showed and the car had just been running. I turned the key on and the gauge pegged! I released pressure using the button on the gauge after turning the key off. Turned the key back on and the gauge was pegged again.

so far the car started every time I tried!

she is back in the garage now for the night.
Scott
Old 05-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Do you know if you have a fuel return sustem? Your regulator should be allowing fuel to flow back to the tank to keep the pressure at 58
Old 05-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Teching In

There is no fuel return. The old motor had one but this one does not.
scott
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Call WS6store and get a Corvette regulator/filter setup. They have it all in a kit. You mount the regulator close to the tank. The pump sends fuel to the regulator, and from there it goes to the engine in the existing line you have now. Excess fuel goes from the regulator the short distance to the tank. You will then have 58psi fuel to the engine thru a single line.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Call WS6store and get a Corvette regulator/filter setup. They have it all in a kit. You mount the regulator close to the tank. The pump sends fuel to the regulator, and from there it goes to the engine in the existing line you have now. Excess fuel goes from the regulator the short distance to the tank. You will then have 58psi fuel to the engine thru a single line.
I made the call, left a message, and am waiting for a response.
Thanks
Scott
Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Teching In

My fuel pressure regulator is ordered and on the way.
Should be at my house by Thursday!

I will for sure update here on the outcome!

I really appreciate and thank all the folks who have replied and helped here!

Scott
1969 Corvette Convertible with LS7, 4L75E
and new pucker marks in the seat! LOL!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Teching In

My regulator arrived yesterday!
Hats off to Speedway Motors! Wonderful tech person to speak with and delivery was before promised date!

The other shop I called was to busy I guess to respond to my needs.

The regulater has all 6AN connectors and I of coarse used 8AN on my fuel lines, Dang it.
Amazon Prime to the rescue. The adapters are scheduled to arrive today.

The fuel lines are disconnected and drained of excess fuel.
Hopefully this evening I can get the regulator installed.

Scott

PS, that part one never mentions . . . . . . Doh!
Before doing anything to the fuel line yesterday I got the manual hand pump and pumped all my fresh premium fuel out and into my wifes PU. I keep mine full.
I pumped my vette dry! The idea was I did not wish to fuss with spilling fuel every where. You see , my old fuel system was a stock fuel tank for a 69 vette with the fuel feed at the bottom.
That fed to an external pump, filter, and then forward. This tank feeds from the top! Doh! I did not need to drain my tank! Yeah, I remembered that immediately after draining it and crawling under the car and looking up!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Great news! I installed the fuel regulator and my starting problems seem resolved! I was able to recreate the issue prior to the instal and after I can not recreate the problem!

Kind thanks for for everyone’s Help!

Scott
The following users liked this post:
Mista Blazer (07-11-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Nice! Thanks for posting up and closing the loop for the rest of the Internet
The following users liked this post:
Mista Blazer (07-11-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Nice! Thanks for posting up and closing the loop for the rest of the Internet
Oh yes, I've searched man posts where the resolution was never added! LOL!

My last update here in this thread unless there are questions.

I've driven my car several times now including bringing her to work today. Starting issues seem completely resolved. I have yet to have a hard or no start since the regulator install.
This morning stuck on the road while pavers did their work, she sat at idle running perfectly. No little bumps or skips. She was at 198 degrees sold sitting there.

The car is a 1969 Corvette Convertible
Drive train is an LS7 Crate Connect and Cruise kit with a 4L75E tranny, All GM wiring and computers .GM also programmed the computers for hot rod use vs 2013Z06 Corvette. All nags removed as well as other none necessary parameters like key fob, etc.

Thanks again for all the help end effort from the members here helping me with ideas!

Scott

Pics for fun!

Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice Vette, and clean install! Any suspension upgrades/improvements?
I've always liked the C3 Vettes.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Yes to upgrades. If you can not see it, it is upgraded! I love the stock look of the C3 ragtop. I have a PTM top, a vinyl top and the soft top.
Upgrades include a racing adjustable mono leaf front and rear suspension, rack and pinion steering, Cryo treated slotted rotors and aggressive brake pads plus hard brake lines, vintage air, dual fan aluminum radiator, stronger drive shaft and spicer ujoints all around, half shaft loops . . . . .just in case . . . . . 3.73 rear end.

I have lowered her a bit also.Still slight rake in the stance though,
I do all the work myself. I am not a mechanic by trade but I have tools and the internet! LOL!

Thank you for asking!
Scott
Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Car looks great lowered a hair and congrats on getting it fixed. Also thanks for sharing the feedback on what fixed it, hate it when people don't close the loop like darth said
Old 05-13-2019, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69Shark
Yes to upgrades. If you can not see it, it is upgraded! I love the stock look of the C3 ragtop. I have a PTM top, a vinyl top and the soft top.
Upgrades include a racing adjustable mono leaf front and rear suspension, rack and pinion steering, Cryo treated slotted rotors and aggressive brake pads plus hard brake lines, vintage air, dual fan aluminum radiator, stronger drive shaft and spicer ujoints all around, half shaft loops . . . . .just in case . . . . . 3.73 rear end.
I have lowered her a bit also.Still slight rake in the stance though,
I do all the work myself. I am not a mechanic by trade but I have tools and the internet! LOL!
Thank you for asking!
Scott
Impressive! I would say it looks like you have upgraded everything to C5-7 status! If not in actual parts but in capabilities. Best part is you didn't just dump an LS7 in there and completely overpower the suspension and brakes. Cool factor- Them SIDEPIPES! Gotta sound as good as it runs/handles! THANKS!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 AM

That is an awesome vette! I like the C3 with those big fenders, although every one of them I drove felt like a supe'd up go-kart. Watch your calves on the pipes getting out!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the kind words! My car as been a slow evolution over time. My wife had an 88 C4 her dream car from college days, At the time I could out run her in straight line but in corners I literally would slow to a near stop and creep around corners relative to her 88. She'd hit corners and not even brake at times and I was always catching up in straight line. SO I aggressively updated my suspension. Learned a LOT. I could then keep up with her anywhere yet still out run her in straights. THEN . . . . . . we upgraded the 88 to an 07. Doh! Adios baby! No way I could stick with her should she decide to get on it. So . . . . . the LS7. Before LS7 install though I did the brakes. I have a complete LS7 install write up on a corvette forum I could link to here but I'll hold off unless there is interest and OK via admins. No need to create issues.

Thanks again
Scott