LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine-130/)
-   -   Best LS7 head for maximum hp and torque? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/1920167-best-ls7-head-maximum-hp-torque.html)

bortous 05-16-2019 10:41 AM

Best LS7 head for maximum hp and torque?

I am wanting to know if I had an engine with a 4.125 or larger bore, which LS7 head will make the most torque and hp?
Would it be worth getting an after market LS7 head or is CNC'ing the GM LS7 head good enough?
How much hp do the best aftermarket LS7 heads make compared to the CNC GM LS7?

Jimbo1367 05-16-2019 11:53 AM

PRC LS7 casting head seems like the best bag for the buck. If money isn't a factor, MMS LS7 heads have great results. Try a SEARCH for each LS7 head.

Darth_V8r 05-16-2019 12:19 PM

The head with the SBE LS7 record is a Darin Morgan worked over Stock Casting. That motor is in a GN. pretty cool car.

probably the most consistent big performer is the Mamo 265. He's got a V2 coming out I think that looks to have the best port velocity out there.

Brodix 273 look strong, but are typically in the hands of other porters, so you have to look up who is using them (AHP for example...)

NAVYBLUE210 05-16-2019 12:40 PM

For a Plastic or low profile Intake,
another vote for Tony's MMS LS7 V2.

fnbadaz06 05-16-2019 02:46 PM

Such a loaded question.......

Where do you want that power band to be for this max HP and TQ result ?
If you're towing a boat or toy hauler, that will suggest a certain low RPM package.......heavy street car/cruiser, another......... drag race car setup for high RPM, another package.

You need to define what the usage is before you go any further.
Large bore engines in excess of 4.125 can take advantage of the unshrouded intake valves in the aftermarket world, where 2.225 can be fit in.
Large spring pockets in the aftermarket world can allow you to run a bigger spring, when applicable, for high RPM valve control.
and we're not even talking about cam lift numbers where you may need to run rockers assemblies that can handle the really high lift numbers...i.e shaft mounts.
There's just so much more to question before you can get a educated response.

tech@WS6store 05-16-2019 03:08 PM

Prc has the best offering right meow and especially the best bang for the buck plus near 0 wait time. They literally manufacture the whole thing from a rough casting also. Their 285cc heads are serious. And their new steel roller rockers in either adj or non adj are a game changer.

01CamaroSSTx 05-16-2019 04:07 PM

Have they released the LS7 adj. and non adj. yet?

Darth_V8r 05-16-2019 04:50 PM

Honestly the BEST for max hp that I know of is the RFD LSR. Flows 500 cfm, but the heads are a good inch taller than stock castings. Canted valve, etc all the good stuff. 52cc chambers.

As you no doubt guessed not very budget friendly and no it will not clear the f body cowl.

Then you gotta budget all the other custom stuff to make them work like rockers, intake, not even sure if ls7 headers will bolt up.

But you said max hp and no constraints listed, so that is the best I can tell you. Probably not going to make your short list though.

Darth_V8r 05-16-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Prc has the best offering right meow and especially the best bang for the buck plus near 0 wait time. They literally manufacture the whole thing from a rough casting also. Their 285cc heads are serious. And their new steel roller rockers in either adj or non adj are a game changer.

Honest question for you -- they're better than the brodix BR7 273? Those flow over 410 at 700 lift and a smaller port. Pretty efficient. Or are you thinking hp/$ ratio?

bortous 05-16-2019 09:14 PM

Some very interesting comments.
I'm liking the comment about the Darin Morgan LS7 head.
Darth, how would this head compare to the Brodix BR7?
If you had the exact same combination what do you assume would be the power difference?

dr_whigham 05-16-2019 10:47 PM

Straight out of the box, ready to go? Mast.
Have that same 285 or 305 hand blended by Darin, and it's a different ballgame.

tech@WS6store 05-16-2019 11:14 PM

I think for fit, finish, options built in, and flow capabilities for the money the PRC are it.

The brodix and mast actually have odd issues that most people dont know about. One is the poorly cast/machined port for the coolant temp sensor. I talked to wcch and they have had to machine each im that area first off. Took a couple snapped sensors before they noticed it. Thats one point. Unless they fixed that in the past 8 months

The mast are physically larger also nad have fitment issues as well in more cramped engine bays like my friends fbody and use longer truck wires too.

The all pro are likely one of the best also. Ive never personally seen any issues or heard of any and richard is top dog in my book.

bortous 05-17-2019 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store (Post 20096699)
I think for fit, finish, options built in, and flow capabilities for the money the PRC are it.

The brodix and mast actually have odd issues that most people dont know about. One is the poorly cast/machined port for the coolant temp sensor. I talked to wcch and they have had to machine each im that area first off. Took a couple snapped sensors before they noticed it. Thats one point. Unless they fixed that in the past 8 months

The mast are physically larger also nad have fitment issues as well in more cramped engine bays like my friends fbody and use longer truck wires too.

The all pro are likely one of the best also. Ive never personally seen any issues or heard of any and richard is top dog in my book.

Sounds to me its best to stick with the GM LS7 heads and get Darin Morgan to clean them up

Darth_V8r 05-17-2019 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by bortous (Post 20096646)
Some very interesting comments.
I'm liking the comment about the Darin Morgan LS7 head.
Darth, how would this head compare to the Brodix BR7?
If you had the exact same combination what do you assume would be the power difference?

I haven't seen any SBE results on the BR7. it continues to intrigue me based on what looks like great potential. But I would think the heads that went to Darin would end up superior. Hard to make a power difference assumption, as I have not seen a sbe BR7 build to compare. FWIW that Darin head is 704 RWHP, so close to 850 bhp. That's pretty badass.

99 Black Bird T/A 05-17-2019 08:25 AM

Best LS7 head, I'd call Darin Morgan at Reher - Morrison, Tony Mamo at Mamo Motorsports and Brett Land at Land Speed Cylinder Heads. All have Depending on budget I'm sure all of the three can do a killer cylinder head for your application.

Darin did the LS3 heads for my 99 TA and is outstanding to work with on a project.

Tony did a ported LSXR intake for my planned 408 and is outstanding to work with on a project.

Brett did the LS6/243/799's for same 408 and is outstanding to work with on a project.

If I ever get to do a 427+ these are the cylinder head porters of choice. TEA & BTR rock too

bortous 05-17-2019 12:01 PM

I think cost wise it would be best to just use LS7 heads and send them to Darin Morgan.
Easier to find parts too.
In regards to the LS3 heads does a darin morgan GM LS3 version make more low end torque than a stock LS3 head?

ramaircjm 05-17-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bortous (Post 20096296)
I am wanting to know if I had an engine with a 4.125 or larger bore, which LS7 head will make the most torque and hp?
Would it be worth getting an after market LS7 head or is CNC'ing the GM LS7 head good enough?
How much hp do the best aftermarket LS7 heads make compared to the CNC GM LS7?

I really think people underestimate just how good the stock LS7 head is. I had mine ported and milled at a local machine shop and can run 10.0xx all day with the car even in warmer weather and high 9s in the winter months.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...9ff1f8c1d7.jpg

fnbadaz06 05-17-2019 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ramaircjm (Post 20096971)
I really think people underestimate just how good the stock LS7 head is. I had mine ported and milled at a local machine shop and can run 10.0xx all day with the car even in warmer weather and high 9s in the winter months.

Man, that car looks familiar ;-) LOL

Mikey misses his old car LOL

ramaircjm 05-17-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by fnbadaz06 (Post 20096983)
Man, that car looks familiar ;-) LOL

Mikey misses his old car LOL

Possibly, but when I came down there last April he wouldn't make any passes in it for some strange unknown reason.

Tuskyz28 05-17-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ramaircjm (Post 20096971)
i really think people underestimate just how good the stock ls7 head is. I had mine ported and milled at a local machine shop and can run 10.0xx all day with the car even in warmer weather and high 9s in the winter months.

thats badass!!