Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LSX Head on display at the PRI Show

I just recieved word from Edelbrock's engineering department this afternoon that a prototype head casting will be on display at the PRI show. Several development castings have been poured and word is they look very good.
They're moving forward on this project and expect to have production ready heads by spring. Everyone is encouraged to stop by the Edelbrock booth at PRI and take a look at the new part.
The as cast port cross sectional area is nice and small. Typical valve sizes will be 2.250"/1.625". Valve lengths will be in the 6-6.5" long range. The rocker boss spans the length of the head and utilizes 8, 7/16" coarse thread bolt holes over 2" deep. The head measures 5.70" tall or .700" taller than a factory LS7 head and as mentioned in the OP will utilized SB2 valve covers.
Plans are for Edelbrock to build an intake manifold to fit these intake ports. I'd like to get some feedback on what style manifold most people want.

Here's a couple of CAD screen shots for now.

Richard
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

humm wonder if these heads will need offset cup lifter?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

If for no other reason than to stand the pushrod up straight, offset cups would be a nice option. I know that Isky is working on something in this area. They could also have some benefit with our All Pro heads.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any idea on the what the min bore sizes will be?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Quite large with 2.250 / 1.625 valves. Intake manifold wise I'd like to see a single plane with good volume and mid length runners. With the tall deck LSx block coming out these look like something that would complement them very well. Using a large 4.25 or 4.5 inch crank in those wouldn't exactly like being wound out too high.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Quite large with 2.250 / 1.625 valves. Intake manifold wise I'd like to see a single plane with good volume and mid length runners. With the tall deck LSx block coming out these look like something that would complement them very well. Using a large 4.25 or 4.5 inch crank in those wouldn't exactly like being wound out too high.
with the valves being splayed the bore doesn't have to be as large to clean the cylinder
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Juiced
with the valves being splayed the bore doesn't have to be as large to clean the cylinder
General rule of thumb is like 51-53% of the bore. A 2.250" intake valve sounds pretty big for a smallblock...
Old 12-03-2008, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Any new information onthe new heads ?
When they're gonna be out? Price?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Very cool!
Large plenum 4500 super victor would work nice Richard.

Brent
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Whatever intake is made for them, as long as it will keep up with the 400+cfm of flow that the heads will have is fine by me.

I'm looking at building a new powerplant, rather then trying to push the envelope with what's in the car now, and this would be a great option. As long as I can get a head that will bolt up on a lsx block, flow 400 to 430 cfm and get an intake that will do the same, preferrably a single plane that would be great. A sheet metal, or cast alum that can be ported like the new edlebrock intake that I have seen posts/pictures on on here would be fine.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Banned

Update!
As of yesterday, Edelbrock is going to have a machined prototype on display at the PRI show next week. I encourage anyone attending to stop by the Edelbrock booth and have a look. We're actively working on a program for these heads with Edelbrock's cooperation. This program will be aimed at the drag racing market and as we become more familiar with this casting we'll explore other applications.

Richard
Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Update!
As of yesterday, Edelbrock is going to have a machined prototype on display at the PRI show next week. I encourage anyone attending to stop by the Edelbrock booth and have a look. We're actively working on a program for these heads with Edelbrock's cooperation. This program will be aimed at the drag racing market and as we become more familiar with this casting we'll explore other applications.

Richard
Thanks-

so will we get to see some pics next week?

Thanks

Nick--
Old 12-07-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

I hope these arent a dissappointment like the SC1 head they came out with...they claimed it as a true canted valve head when it only had not even a degree of cant in the intake.

Last edited by UGotBeaT; 12-07-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

forgot to mention-

whats the rocker system for these-jesel's-t&d?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

there probably isnt one yet...Whoever gets a test head to mess with will have to send them to either one to get them made.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

That just makes me more frustrated that I'm not going to get to go to PRI this year. Something always pops up this time of year. I do look forward to seeing pictures and more information about these.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

anyone at pri seen the head yet or any gossip?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

I checked out the Edelbrock LS- R heads at PRI , very nice. AFR is supposed to have a new LS race head also, I'll check them out on Saturday. There sayin 450+cfm capable from the Edelbrock heads!!

Edelbrock's new Victor LS-R Race Head for LS1 Engines, Insane!!!
Here at Orlando doing coverage for our sites, and we wondered on this LSR Edelbrock head which has never been photographed!

Here's our news release on it, also full coverage from thursday at http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/pri-2008-...erage-966.html

Edelbrock is stepping up big time in the LSX arena with a new LS Square port head aimed directly at the top echelons of LS drag racing, the Victor LS-R, and a new kick *** L92-style head, the Victor Jr. LS Pro-Port, that offers some upgrades over the stock GM casting. These new offers really signal that Edelbrock is ready to be at the forefront of the next-gen GM small block with not only a new hot street/strip head, but with a max-effort race head that could come to be the highest performance LSX racing head available.

Edelbrock new LSR Race Head

This new LSR head is no joke. Built with the GM LSX block in mind, it is already configured with the extra head-bolts that come standard with the GM Performance block, although they are not required if you are using a non-LSX block. The LSR is a canted valve head, offering maximum power potential and flow rates - if you can believe this, of as much as 450-cfm or even more, in fully ported configurations.

The head uses the GM SB2 valve cover footprint because of the canted valve design, although the stock exhaust port pattern is retained. These are Edelbrock PRO port heads, meaning that seats and guides are included (but not installed) but you'll need to have your head porter do the CNC porting magic to make the heads rock and roll for your full-race LSX engine.

Edelbrock's Victor Jr LS Head

The Victor JR LS head is billed as an upgrade to the GM L92 head, either for current LS3 or L92 head owners, or for those who want to upgrade from a standard cathedral port head. It features the L92 raised square port footprint, but with a LS7 12.2-degree valve angle, and dual intake bolt patterns for both LS7 and L92 intake ports. Because it's a PRO port design, it can be ported for either intake design.

The best part is that Edelbrock has engineered this head for use with not a costly shaft system, but for LS7 1.8:1 factory rocker arms, and .200-inch longer valves, so you can install beefy valve springs. Of course, for serious engines, racers may use high end Jesel, T&D, Comp or Crane shaft rockers, but it's nice to know you can use LS7 rockers for cost-savings. All in all, the Victor Jr head will prove to be a great upgrade for a factory LS3/L92 casting.

For more information, watch Edelbrock's website.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like I found the heads for the next powerplant.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

450 cfm is insane! Those harland sharp shaft mount rockers seem pretty cool. Depending on the stats and price on those I might end up getting a set.

Quick Reply: New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head