Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Crank reluctor wheel 24x vs 58x

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank reluctor wheel 24x vs 58x

Rebuilding a LS7 with stock crank. It is going in a first gen Camaro and currently no ECM or wiring loom (need to buy). Is there any reason to consider swapping to a 24x reluctor or should I stay with 58x? What are the differences?

Do not have TB yet - any restrictions based on the above?

Is a stock ECM ok to reprogram for mods?

Thanks,
G.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

If you buy a pcm out of an f-body you need the 24x reluctor. Newer cars have the 58x. However i believe lingenfelter has a box you can buy that changes the signal. But if your rebuilding the motor and have the crank out then it is probably cheaper to change it.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply. I understand the new(58) vs old(24) but if I don't have a PCM already I don't understand why I want to spend the money converting to the 24x? Is that the main reason people change - because they have the 24x PCM already or are there another reasons? I've used search but only come up with people making the change - not why.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you are correct. the main reason people change is because they are puttign a newer engine in a f-body which has the 24x pcm. And you are also correct that since you do not have a pcm you can purchase one out of a car with a 58x signal and not worry about changing it
Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Arrow

So your installing a LS7 into a 67 to 69 F-Body cool... Drop'n weight while adding power = double bonus

If you go carb'd with a LS distributor kit then you won't need the ecu.

If however you want EFI then look into a GM ECU and Wiring kit (part # 19166567) GM Performance parts currently has the MSRP price slashed through so I have no idea on what it will cost you.

Hopefully with that kit you can use GM's 90mm Drive by Wire TB. If that unit has you retrofit to a LS1 style cable unit then a Fast or Holley 90mm TB with the 4 bolt mount should fit the bill. Note the Holley unit comes with the throttle cable mount (not sure if the fast 90 does or not).

If you go with the GM kit you can combine that with a HPtuner software and a laptop to refine the tune yourself (you will also need wide band mounted for tuning purposes) or just have a LS tuning capable shop tune it for you. That is if you install a larger cam, or have the heads or manifold ported.

Or you might look into something like Mast Motor Sports M90 series of ECU and wiring kit.

I was going to say take a look at SpikeTV's "Muscle Car" web page for the "Tribute Trans Am" parts listing. Unfortunately I couldn't find a parts listing for that build.
You can watch the shows though as they go through retro fitting a GM crate motor LS7 into a 69 Trans-Am (note: they used a new k-member that included a c6 front suspension setup).
The episodes are watchable online and are in the 2008/1 and 2008/2 section. But they are not a sponsor so I can't directly link to them...

Oh yeah... If you plan on going with an EFI setup are you going to use a LS7 MAF sensor in the intake line or go with a SD tune???

Last edited by Bring the Noise; 03-03-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Now that I think about it I think you have to have the drive by wire peddle assembly to use the drive by wire throttle body. DUH..

Quick Reply: Crank reluctor wheel 24x vs 58x