Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stock LQ9 w/ vic jr and carb-what cam???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock LQ9 w/ vic jr and carb-what cam???

If you had a stock lq9 with untouched 317 heads and a carbed victor jr intake setup what off the shelf cam would you put in it and not have to worry about ptv clearance (I don't want to buy head studs and gaskets right now), and turn it 7k in a 2800lb car with an auto, 4k stall, and 4.30 gears? Or is there no good choice for this setup without pulling the heads and checking everything? BTW, I do realize a spring upgrade is necessary before some one throws that out there. I was thinking something in the 5.8x lift range and 23x duration, and around 110-111 lsa. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been building ford engines for the last 10yrs and this is my first trip into LS territory so I have no past experiences to go from anymore.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

If you plan on upgrading your heads, I would look into 600+ lift. If you want to leave the heads stock, not much over 600 lift will do you any good. 7k is a lot on a stock bottom end. I would shift around 6800 and have your power peak around 6300-6500. Get yourself some dual springs regardless what anyone says about beehives. They will last much longer and you won't have to upgrade for a higher lift cam later on. Longtubes I'm assuming? Something along the lines of a 236/232 and around 110lsa would suite youjust fine. The reverse split will build big torque numbers.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
If you plan on upgrading your heads, I would look into 600+ lift. If you want to leave the heads stock, not much over 600 lift will do you any good. 7k is a lot on a stock bottom end. I would shift around 6800 and have your power peak around 6300-6500. Get yourself some dual springs regardless what anyone says about beehives. They will last much longer and you won't have to upgrade for a higher lift cam later on. Longtubes I'm assuming? Something along the lines of a 236/232 and around 110lsa would suite youjust fine. The reverse split will build big torque numbers.
so the TRex and MS cams dont do anything?

pm some of the sponsors.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replys. Yes, I'll be running longtube headers. I looked at the ms3 and 4 but I've read on here where people have had ptv issues with them. While I realize most do not, I'm looking for a drop in and go cam.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said you wanted to use the stock 317 heads BUT...if you cant find a good cam for "drop n go", I would STRONGLY suggest looking at some used L92 heads...they are the hot ticket for carb/6.0 block combo. Get some used L92, big springs, notch the pistons, put in a big cam, and you can have a 550 bhp motor all day long. untouched heads and intake. Just the right cam and big springs/cam.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darren s
Thanks for the replys. Yes, I'll be running longtube headers. I looked at the ms3 and 4 but I've read on here where people have had ptv issues with them. While I realize most do not, I'm looking for a drop in and go cam.
would make sense to mill the heads with thinner gaskets and then run bigger cams. will ned to cut in valve relieves for clearance. with dual springs

a drop in cam imo would be a ls6, hot cam, asa cam or a gt11
Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

So is 10:1 considered low compression in the LS world??? I always thought that was a healthy #??? The reason I'm asking about this scenario is I was trying to get the car up and running for the least amount of money and pull the engine for upgrades after a season. If I pull the heads and have to buy new gaskets and studs then I wouldn't put the 317's back on which would slow down the project.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by darren s
So is 10:1 considered low compression in the LS world??? I always thought that was a healthy #??? The reason I'm asking about this scenario is I was trying to get the car up and running for the least amount of money and pull the engine for upgrades after a season. If I pull the heads and have to buy new gaskets and studs then I wouldn't put the 317's back on which would slow down the project.
10:1 is common, but not high or low, the ls2 and ls3 motors are just under 11:1 stock. mine is 11.3:1 on pump
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again for the help, I'm still learning alot about these engines and while the searches have helped a ton there's still some specifics that arent covered or I haven't found.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Launching!

hey Darren what cam did you end up using in your set up? I am looking to put the T-rex or MS4 in my carbureted victor jr ls1 but need some opinions first.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MTC_75vette
hey Darren what cam did you end up using in your set up? I am looking to put the T-rex or MS4 in my carbureted victor jr ls1 but need some opinions first.
I havent had much time to work on the car since my daughter was born in november, but the plan is to drop the MS4 in it. I have the headers and intake, I'm trying to finish up the body work under the hood so I can start mocking everything up.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

If you plan on putting LS3/L92 Heads on it make sure you get a custom grind camshaft for the same price as a drop an go cam you'll get the most out of you set-up with matched components. Trust me a unfriendly camshaft to big will suck ***** i'm in this boat right now because the intake is stock. Have a custom grind designed for the high rev... Thats what i'm doing to i'd check into some sponsors on here and see what they have to say. Ms4 is designed to run based on a stock casting head on a LS1... So putting that in a motor with the wrong heads won't net you with anything more than confusion guessing an thats a pain in the ***. Save you penny's an the guess work for the pro's sponsors. Comp cams has a program a friend of mine run's here in STL Mo an i am going tomorrow to talk to him.

Quick Reply: Stock LQ9 w/ vic jr and carb-what cam???