Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Foundry location for GMPP - LSX block???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Foundry location for GMPP - LSX block???

Not sure if this section is the proper place to post this thread/questions...

But, where is the GMPP block cast? I have heard it is cast in by a foundry in India. Anyone with knowledge on it, please share.

If I am going to spend that much on a block alone, it will be a USA product.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

world warhawk blocks are cast and machined in usa iirc.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by melsie68
Not sure if this section is the proper place to post this thread/questions...

But, where is the GMPP block cast? I have heard it is cast in by a foundry in India. Anyone with knowledge on it, please share.

If I am going to spend that much on a block alone, it will be a USA product.
Robin L on here says that now they are cast in the USA. Previously they were not but at least they are currently according to him which I think is a good move by GM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM
9 Second Club

I am not interested in World Products. But thank you for the reply. Anyone else on GMPP - LSX???

I figured Robin L. would be the one to ask about the block. Maybe he will chime in...

There are now several threads over on Speedtalk about the mysterious SBC blocks being cast overseas. Apparently they are absolute garbage and you can get one for about $1000. Apart from the machine work being well below par and borderline unacceptable, the material being used does check out well on a hardness test. I am in the market for an LSX block and I was fearing they may have the same issues as the Chinese SBC blocks.

Last edited by melsie68; 09-29-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

While I can't go into specifics ( because I have a contract) there is a lot of information in this thread.

The blocks are NOW cast here in the USA.

I don't actually know the exact foundry (need to know basis I guess LOL) but there was a switch this year. The new vendor blocks should be in the system shortly.

I do know that the lifter access windows are larger. I will try to find out if their were any other changes or updates.

Robin
Old 09-29-2009, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Next question:

Where would I go to order an LSX block? No one seems to know when one will be available.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scoggin Dickey is a good start. They usually have them if anyone does but maybe Robin has some other sources as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

Haha nice John@Scoggin...I am sure it wasn't you I talked to on the phone. Just called a little while ago to SDParts and the word is that they have no idea. They are on back order and have no clue when to expect anything. It sure would be nice if they could make a call to the supplier and get a real answer. I know we are not living in a perfect world but you would think that a vendor listing a part as available for purchase would provide an answer- or remove the part from their catalog, online listing, etc... I know, if I had a client calling me about $2000+ worth of revenue, I would get them an answer of some sort. Not just "I don't know"...
Old 09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I heard that some were suposed to ship. Usually SDPC is on the top of the list with the numbers that they sell.

Of course they might have customer orders to fill also

I'll get an update in the next few days.

If your looking for a current block send me a PM I may know a dealer who has one. I'll check on that also.

Robin
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Just called a little while ago to SDParts and the word is that they have no idea. They are on back order and have no clue when to expect anything. It sure would be nice if they could make a call to the supplier and get a real answer.
Could be they've gone thru that scenario before and still end up with no idea when they'll ship even after talking to the supplier. With the LSX block being on and off the market since it's inception, they probably don't care to stir up that old fire again. I know I sure wouldn't
Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, where do we get front and rear coolant plugs for these blocks? Been looking forever...
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

we have an entire kit that comes with everything you need for the normal LS blocks. the LSX block for plugs use all the plugs found on the newer blocks, including the LS3....just a few more of some of them. Our plug kit comes with the large coolant plugs that are a little too large on the outside flange for one maybe 2 of the holes, but we can substitute the right ones in that have the smaller outside flange that will fit. this is the passage by the right hand water pump hole right underneath it. there is also one pipe pug and an extra oil passage plug that would need to be included.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha nice John@Scoggin...I am sure it wasn't you I talked to on the phone. Just called a little while ago to SDParts and the word is that they have no idea. They are on back order and have no clue when to expect anything. It sure would be nice if they could make a call to the supplier and get a real answer. I know we are not living in a perfect world but you would think that a vendor listing a part as available for purchase would provide an answer- or remove the part from their catalog, online listing, etc... I know, if I had a client calling me about $2000+ worth of revenue, I would get them an answer of some sort. Not just "I don't know"...
As hard as it may be to believe, sometimes they just don't know.

WE have to remember that 99% of the vendors on here are simply middle-men. They don't make the parts, they are reliant on manufacturer also.

Personally I would rather them tell me "I don't know" than "in a couple of day" and it turn out to be a month or longer (had that happen as well).

I know we have a right to expect good service, but we are dealing with people, they can't always be perfect and are often at the mercy of others.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

When we are told the same thing, that is all we can pass on. trust me, if we knew anything, anyone on here would know as well

and FWIW for the people that are missing alot of parts with their LSX blocks such as plugs and such, we are building a plug kit for the LSX block as well, since it does have a few more of one and less of another than a normal LS engine does. Ill post up the PN and price when we get it done here shortly.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
When we are told the same thing, that is all we can pass on. trust me, if we knew anything, anyone on here would know as well

and FWIW for the people that are missing alot of parts with their LSX blocks such as plugs and such, we are building a plug kit for the LSX block as well, since it does have a few more of one and less of another than a normal LS engine does. Ill post up the PN and price when we get it done here shortly.
shouldnt all that come included with the lsx block ?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yes, but sometimes they either a) arent or b) are short or c) are bought used or new unused from another person and they lost/misplaced/sold something. PLUS we just found out from some reason in the kits that come with them, there is ONE plug missing. the one for the dry sump oil passage that exits the left side of the block. so our kit will have all the plugs plus the button headed torx bolts for the cam retainer plate, as well as the cyl head dowels which the LSX block does not come with. it will not contain any seals, gaskets, other bolts, or plates, covers, or lifter guides, but we can offer all of that as a kit as well. there is a really good reason for that though. the rear covers are VERY expensive. this plug kit will be everything you need to get one done that does not come with everything
Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the plugs in the front/rear are different then the side plugs, the LS2/3's do not have the same ones as theses are in between the two sizes on the factory blocks. If you have the fronts and rears we will take some though!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
As hard as it may be to believe, sometimes they just don't know.

WE have to remember that 99% of the vendors on here are simply middle-men. They don't make the parts, they are reliant on manufacturer also.

Personally I would rather them tell me "I don't know" than "in a couple of day" and it turn out to be a month or longer (had that happen as well).

I know we have a right to expect good service, but we are dealing with people, they can't always be perfect and are often at the mercy of others.
I guess I am not looking for an indefinite response such as "I don't know" or "in a couple of days". What I am asking for is a representative to call their supplier and get an answer. Then they can call me back and tell me what their supplier said. I have dealt with so many dealers for car parts that I can tell you it often times does not work in your favor to go with the big name vendors such as Jeg's, Summit, etc... If I could call a supplier or manufacturer then I would, but I cannot so who do we as a consumer rely on? The middle man or the dealer. The small business guy will take your number, make the call to the supplier and then call you back. Why, I think because their business is on the line. A sales rep at one of the big box places just answers the phone says, "I don't know" and waits for the next call. They really do not care whether you have an answer to your question or not. SDParts had done a lot for me when I was looking for GM parts to build my SB2.2 engine. That was about six years ago. Now I call and get "I don't know". I am not trying to knock them, I just want some sort of response.

Hey you remember what we did while taking classes in school? Research. When a teacher asked a question we went and found the answer. You do not come to class and say "I don't know". Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the LSX uses the same plug PN for all the large plugs. the LS2/3 uses the same thread, but the head on the end is too large for a few of the holes. there should be 5 huge holes. 2 in the front, 2 in the rear and 1 in the left hand front. then there are 3 small holes as well. one going straight up by the crank sensor on the back right side, one on the front going straigh in on the front left side, and one for the oil passage by where the oil filter is to block off the dry sump style oil gallery. then the soft plug by the oil pump and ONE more plug. the pipe plug for the rear oil gallery behind the rear cover. that accounts for ALL screw in plugs. we are working on the kit right now to see what we have on hand.

Quick Reply: Foundry location for GMPP - LSX block???