Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How Much for Forged Pistons & Rods in a LS3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AVB
Track time was spent on road courses... aside from not being directly connected to the throttle, glowing manifolds right next to the hood for 20minutes at a time wasn't all that great
I figured it was a heat issue, since you track your car alot but I figured I would ask. There are a few guys with SC's that seem to do okay at the track but if you're going to road race alot, your best bet is a NA motor.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
AVB
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
I figured it was a heat issue, since you track your car alot but I figured I would ask. There are a few guys with SC's that seem to do okay at the track but if you're going to road race alot, your best bet is a NA motor.
Totally agree... and the FI solution will be a simple one to R&R and, if I can help myself, never see serious track use.

In your research, did you find a max power/rpm limit for the stock rods?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AVB
Totally agree... and the FI solution will be a simple one to R&R and, if I can help myself, never see serious track use.

In your research, did you find a max power/rpm limit for the stock rods?
I don't really think the rods are the weak point as much as the pistons are. The older blocks made before 2000 have weaker rod bolts but the 2001 and up rod bolts are much stronger.

The real weak point seems to be the pistons themselves. You don't really here about too many guys throwing a rod as you do about cracked ringlands on the pistons.

Every now and then a timing chain goes or someone sucks a valve due to spring failure or valve failure of some sort.

I think as long as you can control detonation and get matched flow injectors you shold be good for 600 rwhp. It seems that #7 was the weak spot on the LS1 / LS6 motors. Have not heard of too many guys blowing up LS3 motors, except for oiling issues at the road tracks.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:24 PM
AVB
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
I don't really think the rods are the weak point as much as the pistons are. The older blocks made before 2000 have weaker rod bolts but the 2001 and up rod bolts are much stronger.

The real weak point seems to be the pistons themselves. You don't really here about too many guys throwing a rod as you do about cracked ringlands on the pistons.

Every now and then a timing chain goes or someone sucks a valve due to spring failure or valve failure of some sort.

I think as long as you can control detonation and get matched flow injectors you shold be good for 600 rwhp. It seems that #7 was the weak spot on the LS1 / LS6 motors. Have not heard of too many guys blowing up LS3 motors, except for oiling issues at the road tracks.
Yes the oiling issues will have to be addressed with the addition of a dry sump soon.

Is going bigger exhaust on the turbo an option when using the stroker?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AVB
Yes the oiling issues will have to be addressed with the addition of a dry sump soon.

Is going bigger exhaust on the turbo an option when using the stroker?
A lot depends on what turbo sysem you're using front, upper or rear mounts. Personally I would shy away from big stroked motors for turbos.

Most of the time bigger is not better with turbos. Stock cubed turbos put up much more power per cube than the strokers due to the match of the turbo mapping efficencies.

That's one of the reasons I want to stay with stock cubes in case I ever go turbo.

If you're going with a centri 1 7/8" with a 3" exhaust should let you make pretty goood power, however I don't think you could ever come close to using it.

Why not go with a nice 427 built LS7 NA motor with a dry sump. I'm sure that will give you all the power you'll ever need for the track and it's a lot less $$$ to build and maintain.

FI and road racing short of formula one style cars just don't mix well.

Quick Reply: How Much for Forged Pistons & Rods in a LS3