Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LG Super Cool Radiator vs Ron Davis Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LG Super Cool Radiator vs Ron Davis Radiator

Is there a difference between the two? How do they compare?

Which one are you running and does a radiator make a difference on a H/C
Z06? The car is not tracked or raced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

JG853
Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JG853
Is there a difference between the two? How do they compare?

Which one are you running and does a radiator make a difference on a H/C
Z06? The car is not tracked or raced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

JG853
If your car is a h/c 346 and you are not road racing it, save your money.
Just get a 180 t-stat, have the fan on/off temps programmed accordingly and call it a day. Spend the money on gas and drive the **** out of your car!

Jimbo
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just use an LT1 radiator and run cool as a cucumber no matter what size N/A engine you have.

If your cooling system is healthy...a factory radiator will cool as good or in most cases better than any of those aftermarket radiators. My 427ci runs cool no matter what the weather is down here in south Florida, traffic, A/C blasting, driving hard, etc.....stays cool.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-23-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with everything said; if you have no intention of roadracing then stick with the OEM radiator as it is more than capable of handling the heat.

My car is set up for roadracing and I use the Ron Davis radiator with the integrated oil cooler, which hasn't quite performed up to expectations, so I will probably go with a Setrab cooler before my next season of racing. However the radiator has performed flawlessly; after extended sessions my car rarely gets above 210 F.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all of the expertise and help! I will stick with my stock one!!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeZ06402
I agree with everything said; if you have no intention of roadracing then stick with the OEM radiator as it is more than capable of handling the heat.

My car is set up for roadracing and I use the Ron Davis radiator with the integrated oil cooler, which hasn't quite performed up to expectations, so I will probably go with a Setrab cooler before my next season of racing. However the radiator has performed flawlessly; after extended sessions my car rarely gets above 210 F.
I need an oil cooler and was looking at the Ron Davis. What were your results? Thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Just use an LT1 radiator and run cool as a cucumber no matter what size N/A engine you have.

If your cooling system is healthy...a factory radiator will cool as good or in most cases better than any of those aftermarket radiators. My 427ci runs cool no matter what the weather is down here in south Florida, traffic, A/C blasting, driving hard, etc.....stays cool.

He has a vette, not a F-body.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

MPM IV,

After hard sessions in south Texas my oil temps would run as high as 240 F under hard driving (3500 - 6800 rpm's for 20 to 30 minutes). I believe the RD radiator just doesn't have the thermal capacity to dissipate the temps for the oil. So I am researching an inline oil cooler or maybe something along the lines of a Setrab oil cooler setup. I want the oil temps down around 210 F at maximum. Of course the downside of that equation is if the car is street driven then the oil temps may not get up to temp so a thermal bypass may be necessary as well. It all depends on what the car is going to be used for.

Keep in mind I love the RD radiator; it is just the oil cooler portion that hasn't quite performed up to my standards. I will say that the RD radiator fits very nicely and can't be seen unless I point it out. Of course the same could be said for the DRM trans and diff coolers as well. Now I just need to figure out how to design a clutch fluid cooler

Quick Reply: LG Super Cool Radiator vs Ron Davis Radiator