Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

First LSX stroker build....HELP!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LSX stroker build....HELP!

Ok, so I am gearing up for my firs LSX motor build and I am sure to have lots of questions. For starters I will tell you what I want to do; I want to build an LSX bowtie block bored to 4.18 with an Eagle forged crank with a 4.1 stroke. Eagle 6.125 rods and 11:1 diamond pistons will finish off the bottom end. I want to go with PRC LS7 285cc heads with whatever mean cam I find….I haven’t gotten that far yet. And on the top a FAST intake. I know my list isn’t complete but you see where I am going. What is a safe hope for HP? If in the future I want more would this take 5-8psi boost (with meth)? Are there any recommended changes from the guys who have done this? Am I going in the right direction? Are there any books you recommend for me to get more info?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine with that combo.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bcartman_2
Ok, so I am gearing up for my firs LSX motor build and I am sure to have lots of questions. For starters I will tell you what I want to do; I want to build an LSX bowtie block bored to 4.18 with an Eagle forged crank with a 4.1 stroke. Eagle 6.125 rods and 11:1 diamond pistons will finish off the bottom end. I want to go with PRC LS7 285cc heads with whatever mean cam I find….I haven’t gotten that far yet. And on the top a FAST intake. I know my list isn’t complete but you see where I am going. What is a safe hope for HP? If in the future I want more would this take 5-8psi boost (with meth)? Are there any recommended changes from the guys who have done this? Am I going in the right direction? Are there any books you recommend for me to get more info?
So you're building a 450 cubic inch monster. How much cash do you have to spend on this whole project?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
So you're building a 450 cubic inch monster. How much cash do you have to spend on this whole project?

Outstanding question, as it most likely be more than you wanted (or thought) you would spend. We found with our LSX based 454 (4.187 bore with a 4.125 stroke) that it was the little things that added up quickly.

What are your goals? How do you intend for the big guy up front to transfer all of that terrible power to the ground? Is your driveline ready and is the rest of your car ready? What are you doing for exhaust? Clearance for that exhaust (k-member, motor mounts) and how will it fit with what you may currently have on the car? What are you doing for fueling the monster? What about vacuum... Crankcase venting... Intake routing... Tuning and electronics (Big Stuff 3/PCM tuning, plug heat range, custom plug wires, etc)... etc, etc, etc...

Yeah it adds up quick...
Old 04-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Launching!

It sounds like that this is going to be a powerful and amazing build of a 450+ inch LSX motor. How much power are you going to build with this motor and what vehicle will it go into?

Did you ever think of buying an LSX 454 instead of having to worry about machining, buying parts, balancing, and all the other factors about building? Not trying to persuade a direction one way or another. Good luck in your build.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by supermouse4
It sounds like that this is going to be a powerful and amazing build of a 450+ inch LSX motor. How much power are you going to build with this motor and what vehicle will it go into?

Did you ever think of buying an LSX 454 instead of having to worry about machining, buying parts, balancing, and all the other factors about building? Not trying to persuade a direction one way or another. Good luck in your build.
Thats an idea, but just be aware that the GMPP LSX 454 is now coming with an 8-bolt LSA Crank pattern.....If the car is manual, you are SOL with flywheel/clutch options.....Auto is a different story, I believe GMPP offers an 8-bolt flex-plate for it.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Ok so I am the guy building a motor with no car.... I am looking into an F-body or a GTO, I dont think a vette will put up with my abuse.. I am looking at $12k for the motor and annother $8k for the install and all of the needed upgrades for the power. Not to mention $15-20k for a car. What are your takes on F vs. GTO?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Teching In

f= light weight
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

so what's the mathematical equation you guys are using to figure out CI's?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
so what's the mathematical equation you guys are using to figure out CI's?
There are a couple different equations, the one I use most is:
Pi x (1/2 bore x 1/2 bore) x stroke x number of cylinders = displacement.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bcartman_2
Ok so I am the guy building a motor with no car.... I am looking into an F-body or a GTO, I dont think a vette will put up with my abuse.. I am looking at $12k for the motor and annother $8k for the install and all of the needed upgrades for the power. Not to mention $15-20k for a car. What are your takes on F vs. GTO?
Not enough money.

Why do you think a Vette won't put up with it??
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Teching In

If your building a one-off 440+ inch Motor that 12k budget is gonna be spent quick
Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Azrael
There are a couple different equations, the one I use most is:
Pi x (1/2 bore x 1/2 bore) x stroke x number of cylinders = displacement.
i see... thanks man!

however, after a quick google search i found an online calculator where you just plug in the bore/stroke and it gives you the CI's without all the math
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thought you might like some reading on my LSX 454 build a few years back.
I was dealing with MPH Motorsports in Florida I'm not sure they are still around?
Looks like they might of moved to IL ????

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-they-way.html

Also The car is for sale if you want to buy one done, then maybe upgrade the top end!! link is in my sig below

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First LSX stroker build....HELP!