Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is a 7 quart "sprint car tank" enough oil for a twin turbo street machine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is a 7 quart "sprint car tank" enough oil for a twin turbo street machine?

I'm setting up my dry sump setup for my B-Body, went with the LS7 oil pan and OEM LS7 pump (after looking at the pump, I think I will port it just a little bit myself). I'm going with the Katech -12 AN adapters, and the oil system will be feeding 2 turbos.

The GM tank WILL NOT fit my car, there's just nowhere to put it. I've looked at a lot of other options, and Moroso's "22647" 7 quart sprint car tank seems like it's my best choice for fitting under my hood. The other thing I like about the tank is 2 return's and a seperate breather location for a catch can, I can run one of those returns to the scavenge side of the oil pump, and I can run the turbo's into the other one, which will mean no modification to the OEM oil pan, and much cleaner appearance with the underhood plumbing

I do intend to corner with the car...but it's a B-Body (Caprice), it's never going to be capable of coming close to comparing to what an LS7 or LS9 Vette is capable of in a turn, so personally, I think 7 quarts and that tank will certainly suffice...but I was hoping to get opinions from a few others as well...the car WILL have good springs/shocks/swaybars/tires for taking turns...but the primary goal is to have a mountain of power when the turbo's spool.

I've looked at what Stef's and Moroso make, but I haven't ordered a tank yet, and I'm willing to look at solutions from other companies as well, so if you've got ideas, I'd like to hear them.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet project... Unfortunately i cant offer much advice, but im definitely interested to hear what you do here, and just in general (drysumpcaprice?!)
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

HAHA thanks man...I've been converting Caprices to T56 cars (Camaro pedals and some creative adaptation to the Caprice firewall) for almost a decade now, did my first one when I was 19 and I'll be 28 in 2 weeks...sorta helped a couple local guys with development of parts that you can now buy on ebay from a local machine shop to do the conversion. I've also been putting them on slicks with 4.10 rears, headers/cams/ported heads/stroker engines (they come with LT1's) all along as well...but I'm really really tired of Gen 2 smallblocks...and a LOT of stick shift Caprices/Impala's have popped up over the years...so I want to continue to be different.

Once I'm a little further along with the project I'll definitely make a build thread...I archive everything I do (pictures and such) along the way, but I'd rather post up all that stuff after it's done though...in case I look at something and say "what the hell was I thinking".
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody's got experience with dry sump tanks (other than stock LS7 and LS9 stuff) on the street?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like that Moroso tank is similar in size to what I've got, so I figure you'll be fine.

I've got an LS7 in a '68 Camaro, and it's running a 2 gallon Peterson tank. They say to only run the tank at about 2/3 of capacity, so once you get oil in the filter, all the lines and the oil cooler, it ends up taking about 7-8 quarts. Never had any issues with the setup and it's run about 14k miles to this point. Now, it's not really run all that hard, either, but I doubt you'll tearing up the road course too often with that B-body. At the same time, I wouldn't hesitate to do a track day or auto-x on the count of the oil system that's in the Camaro. I know of a few other early F-bodies running a similar tank to mine that are run very hard, and I haven't heard of anyone having issues.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, thats the kind of feedback I'm hoping for.

I won't say I haven't autocrossed a B-Body before...and I won't say I didn't surprise a lot of people with my times on the clock when I did so either...but you're right, as much as I WANT it to be a car that can corner, it's not going to be nearly the level of a smaller car with a better suspension.

I hadn't thought about Peterson for tanks...I'm going to take a look at what they have to offer as well.

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
8 Second Club

I bought the OBX tank on fleabay for $100
16 tall 7.25 diameter. the entire system holds almost 9 quarts with the ls7 pan and pump.
Works great in my drag car setup. no oil pressure loss.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

I found that tank on ebay, it says 5 fittings...what size are they?...-12 AN?

Is your oil return from your turbo running to the oil tank or the pan on the engine?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM
8 Second Club

One of the fittings on the bottom is a 3/4 NPT that is for an oil heater.
the other bottom is the outlet to the pump at the oil pan, it is -12
The inlet to the tank ar the top is -16, I found an adapter at summit and ran a -12 line from the oil pan to the tank. The other two at the top are -12 vent lines. I capped one off and ran a -12 line from the other to my catch can. You still need to vent the engine with this setup. The turbos vent to the engine not the dry sump tank

Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, I appreciate you posting pics too, thank you.

Quick Reply: Is a 7 quart "sprint car tank" enough oil for a twin turbo street machine?