Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Broken rocker pedestal, ls7 head

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken rocker pedestal, ls7 head

As the title says, I have this in an 07 z06. Started another thread before pulling the motor apart, assuming it was a lifter issue. Well, I removed the rocker covers and see the intake on #7 has broken the casting or pedestal that holds the rocker on. The car has a cam that was installed and sold to the owner by Redline some years ago, and has double valve springs. I have no paperwork listing what cam is in it. I am wondering if over tightening the rocker bolts may have done some damage. They seem abnormally tight.

Anyone ever seen this issue??
Old 09-06-2014, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it have the OEM rocker trunions & bolts? The reason I ask is because the popular Comp trunion upgrade not only supplied bolts that are too long with protruding unthreaded shanks even if you shorten them t the correct length, but the stock bolts unthreaded portion also protrudes a little, too, from the Comp trunions. I used some AN washers to correct the length and prevent damaging my heads when I did this conversion, but I can see someone not paying close enough attention and damaging the heads form this...
Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Rocker trunions and bolts are all stock. I planned to upgrade the bearings in the rockers with either comp or BTR stuff. I also found a small piece of a valve spring in the oil pan, stuck to the drain plug. All the rocker bolts hex surface are rounded slightly, like a worn out socket was used on them. As stated, they were far tighter than spec. I know ARP makes rocker bolts, any opinions on them? Any thoughts on who I should be buying a head from? I would like to get a bare casting and use the valves that are in this head, as the whole car has 2147 miles on it.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mill them ******* off and shaft that bitch!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Teching In

It looks like we're going to go with an aftermarket head. Not interested in all the horror stories of how to rebuild or make the old ones reliable. So, now the hunt is on for what heads to run, and possibly a cam to go with them. Might be interested in a box tune for it also, for a known good combo, as I am in upstate New York, and the few tuners we have are not going to touch this car.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what was broken the rocker pedestal or the head casting thread striped out...
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I have a set of heads I just removed off my '06 Z06 for sale. They have 11k miles on them if you are interested. And I am in Mass.....

Quick Reply: Broken rocker pedestal, ls7 head