Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

l92 valves uneven?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default l92 valves uneven?

i noticed i had some valvetrain noise on my 480/l92 setup. only items changed was a valve job and refresh of the bottom end. i had some noise uptop but the motor ran strong. has about 45 minutes of run time on it so far. i couldnt get rid of the noise so i pulled the heads and notices the intake valves are higher than the exhaust. should they all be flat where the rockers contact?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This is common on LS3/L92 heads and if you search somewhere theres a thread about this and the answer was its nothing to worry about.

As for the noise? Very common to have substantial valvetrain noise inLS engines. My last LS1 ticked sooooo loudly after the cam swap I thought the engine was cooked for certain. Well... Six years later and 7000RPM daily and still ticking away like mad but running like a champ. Some tick worse than others and then of course theres the also common piston slap issues but that usually goes away after a minute or so of running
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Setting the valves deeper into the head(from the valve job ) will have the effect of shortening the pushrods. I would re check the pushrod length and also the installed ht of the valvesprings...without seeing the head it is hard to say how far valves were lowered by valve job and if that was enough to cause you problems. You may need longer pushrods on some of the valves to get enough preload.