Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help rebuilt engine is smoking, burning oil, and but has suction from oil fill tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help rebuilt engine is smoking, burning oil, and but has suction from oil fill tube

I need some advice I got my engine rebuilt and have been running into issues where I was finding a little oil in the spark plugs but it was not smoking much at all and it was still running strong have made 10 to 15 9 sec passes since the rebuild. the car is a nitrous car.

Yesterday I went to the track and after the last pass when I was driving back to the pit it was smoking heavely and you can smell it was oil I immediatly loaded on the trailer and this morning I started the car and it was not smoking at all I let it idle and I noticed it that as it was getting hot it started smoking and when it was hot the smoking came back and when I would accelerate it would be a heavy cloud and it is definitly oil you can smell it. Since I only have a bullet after each header and noticed it was only smoking from the passanger side found oil in 2 spark plugs the front and the rear plugs on the passanger side. I also observed for blow by and the car has no blow by and do not feel any pressure from the oil fill tube I actually feel suction not a lot but do feel some.

I been reading and have noticed that if a ring lets go it will actually create pressure. I do not know what to think the only different thing that i have done since last time I raced is changed from having a breather on each valve cover to installing the pcv lines back on with out a pcv valve I have a line from the driver side VC to Passanger side VC than I have the line that would normally plug to the TB routed to the catch can and have pluged the inlet on the intake and also the other opening on the VC hopefully that makes sence. Could this change caused this if yes why did it not somoke until after 5 passes? Could it be that I may have a issue with my valve seals or valves? any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Checked your valve seals?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the seals
Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you put sealent on the rocker arm bolts on the intake's? Most cnc heads go into the bolt hole.

Not sure if you're running cathedral or square ports.

Dirty

Last edited by 1dirtybird; 09-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1dirtybird
Did you put sealent on the rocker arm bolts on the intake's? Most cnc heads go into the bolt hole.

Not sure if you're running cathedral or square ports.

Dirty
I have ported l92 heads I did not put the heads together I will call the engine builder to ask him. I also have an ARP stud kit for the heads. I am hoping is a valve or a valve guide I do not want to rebuild the bottom end.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

All ive done recently are LS7's and LSA's so i cant recall if L92/LS3 casting hit the bolt hole. Also not sure how hoged out your's are. If you were running GEN III id say that its a good chance.

Now as far as rings go... If your oil rings let go you would still have vaccume, but oil could work its way into the cylinders. Because all a low tension oil ring dose is glide across the surface and wipe away the oil.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM
9 Second Club

I am so pissed I did a compression test and all piston showed around 210 - 220 after 3 turns took the car to hte engine builder and while he was looking at the car after 5 minutes of no smoke the car started knocking than the freaking smoke came. I do not know what to think.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should get the breathers back in the valve covers, why did you change them the last time?

Quick Reply: Help rebuilt engine is smoking, burning oil, and but has suction from oil fill tube