Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Analysis Not Good

Old 06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Analysis Not Good

Bought my Vette last June with 9800 on it. I had Blackstone do two oil analysis. One at 15K and at 20K. The cooper and iron were high on both. The cooper came down some on the second sample but the iron jumped way up. Has anyone here had simliar results? Later! Frank
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil Report 6-23-2011.pdf (19.5 KB, 433 views)
Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 AM
11 Second Club

Go over to bobistheoilguy forums, they have a huge talk about this kind of stuff there, not so much here.

To be honest though, i think oil analysis are overrated and actually dont tell too much outside of whether theres excessive fuel or something like that in the oil.

Are you having any issues with the car? How does it drive? How is your oil pressure?

I feel like oil pressure and compression tests are a lot more useful.

Oil analysis in an unmodded car are probably a waste of money, because the fixes are expensive.

How hard are you driving the car and also... are you waiting for it to get up to full temp before getting on it?

Also, maybe shorten oil change intervals?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Go over to bobistheoilguy forums, they have a huge talk about this kind of stuff there, not so much here.

To be honest though, i think oil analysis are overrated and actually dont tell too much outside of whether theres excessive fuel or something like that in the oil.

Are you having any issues with the car? How does it drive? How is your oil pressure?

Oil analysis in an unmodded car are probably a waste of money, because the fixes are expensive.

How hard are you driving the car and also... are you waiting for it to get up to full temp before getting on it?

Man, you provided a great deal of good information there!

Oil analysis is a tool that I've been using for decades, having been a helicopter mechanic, so I've submitted samples for my GTO and Silverado...with different needs, of course. Truck is a DD...GTO is a toy.

I had a lifter failure in the GTO and Blackstone was cool with just a little high iron.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

I did my LS3 recently and posted the UOA at Bobistheoilguy forums. Iron is relatively high in LS motors versus other brands/types, but man, yours does seem high.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC

Thanks for the reminder about Bob's site. I haven't been there for some time. I only use oil analysis when I buy a new outfit to see what I have. I used it more when I had my 02 Duramax. They had a history of bad injectors. They leaked into the oil pan. Blackstone caught the high diesel % early on and possible saved my engine.

The engine runs very good. No noises on start up. Oil pressure is 42 at 1850 RPM cruising speed. I am an old fart so am not hard on the power. I never get on the power on a cold engine. Short burst only. The engine just purrs after it warms up.

That is a lot of iron considering how quiet the engine runs. I plan to send another sample in 2500 more miles as Blackstone suggested. After that, good or bad, I plan to run it. The engine still has near two years of power train warranty. It will start making noise if it is serious. Thanks for the replies. Later! Frank
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Oil samples are critical to know what is going on inside your engine. The military does it on all critical components (ie...jet/helo engines). You can determine failure(s) by knowing what metal is floating around inside your engine before the failure will actually happen, saving thousands (if not millions) of dollars.

OP, I don't use an outside company because I have access to a spectrol mn machine which I personally calibrate to mil-spec standards (we have all the fun 12-5, 12-100, 19-0, 12-30 oils (first number is how many elements and second number is ppm).

*NOTE* These are numbers from my Camaro SS when I did the oil change. The previous owner used GOD-only-knows-what oil in the car. Also, I have no honest idea how long the oil has been in the engine. I also do not have a clean sample to know what is really in the oil. I normally burn a clean (unused) sample before and then burn my used sample afterwards. Both samples have 3 burns to get an average of what is in each. All numbers are PPM (parts per million)

Here are my numbers.

Clean sample... N/A

Used sample...

Iron - Fe: 17.8
Silver - Ag: 0.0
Aluminum - Al: 5.1
Chromium - Cr: 0.6
Copper - Cu: 10.5
Magnesium-Mg: 14.6
Sodium - Na: 6.7
Nickle - Ni: 1.0
Lead - Pb: 1.9
Silicon(dirt)- Si: 8.2
Tin - Sn: 0.0
Titanium - Ti: 0.0
Boron - B: 44.9
Moly - Mo: 74.8
Zinc - Zn: 668.7
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fnsblum
Bought my Vette last June with 9800 on it. I had Blackstone do two oil analysis. One at 15K and at 20K. The cooper and iron were high on both. The cooper came down some on the second sample but the iron jumped way up. Has anyone here had simliar results? Later! Frank
Sending you a PM
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fnsblum

I have used Blackstone for the past 7 years for my LS6:

My iron and copper levels are much lower than yours. I would agree with those who say you may have a wear problem. Also, the next time you have an analysis done by Blackstone, pay the extra $10 and have them do a TBN analysis.

-

Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow those metals are high. Do frequently drive really short distances?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I remember correctly ,,,,driving many short trips will accumulate moisture in the crankcase because of the lack of sufficient time to warm up the engine thus not being enough time to steam off that moisture ? Is that correct ?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
If I remember correctly ,,,,driving many short trips will accumulate moisture in the crankcase because of the lack of sufficient time to warm up the engine thus not being enough time to steam off that moisture ? Is that correct ?
That is correct.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

How much does an oil analysis cost anyway? Based on what people have said on this thread, is an analysis even worth it for a stock motor with bolt ons or is it only worth it for higher mileage engines?

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
In the life of the average auto engine , the crank revolutes roughly 450,000,000 times before the engine shows significant wear .
At 6000 rpm's the pistons of an LS based engine with the stock stroke of 3.622" are only moving at 37.5 mph !
BTW, I really dig your signature, but being the nerd I am, I ran some numbers and came up with 64.65 mph for max speed of the piston at 6000 rpm...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Analysis Not Good