Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oiling Q - Relocating the dry sump tank...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oiling Q - Relocating the dry sump tank...

I'm running an LS7 w a factory GM LS9 oil pump in a 69 Camaro. The LS9 pump supposedly scavenges better. Other oil system mods include Aviad oil pan baffle, Peterson oil and and breather. In my set up, the oil tank usually goes in front of the passenger inner fender which is not ideal for weight distribution and I'd like to relo it somewhere near the trunk.

Do you see a problem w the factory pump moving oil w a longer run to the tank? I'd like to avoid going to an external staged pump if possible.

I'm also gonna check w ARE, Katech and Aviad on Monday.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Spoke to Katech and ARE today. If anyone's interested in this answer let me know...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the outcome of moving the tank?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

uh huh
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Che70velle
uh huh
Sorry man, gave up after no response over a few days. So the answer is - 16 feed return to the tank (currently -12 so I need to reweld) and an extra scavenge pump. This can be a AC tension mount or low mount off the crank...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
ModSquad

Interesting. I raced NASCAR late models for some time, and ran dry sump engines. I used -12 for my three stage pumps, and -16 for my 4 stage. I know that's apples to oranges, but I don't see why the -12 wouldn't work. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Interesting. I raced NASCAR late models for some time, and ran dry sump engines. I used -12 for my three stage pumps, and -16 for my 4 stage. I know that's apples to oranges, but I don't see why the -12 wouldn't work. Thanks for the info.
Hey Scott - this dry sump stuff is new to me, but I dropped a boatload on the motor so I'm trying to protect it as best as possible and still have fun on the track. I kinda had the vendors scratching their head - in other words, there's no known formula except what the race teams know from trial and error. Thier best advice without going to a full stage 4 was the bigger lines, run em downhill and get better scavenging. Oh, and "watch your oil pressure"....

You might be very well right and -12 would work. Right now I'm burined in packaging issues and fab... Feel free to offer your thoughts!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
ModSquad

Yeah flash, I have a lot of stuff that would work for you. Pumps, line, etc. if your interested, Pm me. I'm gonna do some research on your pump, to see what it is capable of. I've been under the hood of Year One's dry sump cars, and they kept their tanks up front, Peterson stuff of course. I'd put her in the back for sure. That's a lot of weight. Is your engine a built unit, or is it a pullout? If its a custom unit, your engine builder should be able to shed some light.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Scott - So here's the motor:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ls7-build.html

I've decided to put the tank up front. I did some more research w guys that are running the same set up as me. One is on his third 'One Lap' race. Turns out, he's got no noticable push from the tank in the front (3600 lb car). Also, this is really a street car w track capabilities so having combustables in the passenger ccompartment is not really a good idea (loosly defined 'trunk = passenger' even w a firewall, but this came from another racer w a similar use vehicle). Also fab was gonna be a biatch - a little cutting on both the rear shock cross member for the lines to run through, and also the front subframe. Both undesireables. Plus, have you priced out XRP -16 fittings lately? About $100 ea. That'd be $800 for my shock crossmember bulkhead alone. Car is painted and I'm trying to get out of fab...

Anyway, that's where it stands right now. Keep going though buddy. I want to hear your thoughts!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 PM
ModSquad

Very nice! Are those polished cylinders? Yeah, there is no doubt that this stuff can put a serious dent in the wallet. There is a huge second hand market in this stuff, if you are interested in used equipment. Fittings, pans, pumps,etc. I'm not talking about Craig's list stuff here. I bought a $1500 pan from dale jr. For $100 bucks a few years back. It was like new. I've gotten radiators and tanks from the cup guys for pennies. If you want quality, it can be had a lot cheaper. Consider a custom tank, mounted behind your axle UNDER the car. You can easily keep the tank out of the trunk area. Of course there is nothing wrong with putting it up front either. Put it up front for now, and move it out back later. Either way, finish your ride and enjoy it!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM dry sump tank isn't the lightest but, if you find a Z06 "track rat" who has changed his early Z06 set-up over to something else you should be able to score a tank for under $300 that should do the job for you. As long as your Camaro osn't capable of Z06 track performance, the early 8qt tank should work fine but, GM did change the tanks in 2009 and later cars and added a piggy back tank to increase oil capacity to 10.5qts it is one UGLE looking fix and comes on the GS dry sump motor also which surprised me.

OK I guess you went with aftermarket tank, better performance, but harder to fit in early chassis. Hope you took a look at the oil pump and pan and did some porting work on them, they can use a little clean-up especially the pressure passage from pump chamber to block oil passage and the oil passage into the filter area is really BADLY done by GM. I put a few hours into my LS3 dry sump pan and pump castings.

Last edited by 427 zeo6; 04-21-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice! Are those polished cylinders? Yeah, there is no doubt that this stuff can put a serious dent in the wallet. There is a huge second hand market in this stuff, if you are interested in used equipment. Fittings, pans, pumps,etc. I'm not talking about Craig's list stuff here. I bought a $1500 pan from dale jr. For $100 bucks a few years back. It was like new. I've gotten radiators and tanks from the cup guys for pennies. If you want quality, it can be had a lot cheaper. Consider a custom tank, mounted behind your axle UNDER the car. You can easily keep the tank out of the trunk area. Of course there is nothing wrong with putting it up front either. Put it up front for now, and move it out back later. Either way, finish your ride and enjoy it!
I'd love to score a second hand ARE pan if you can point me in right direction? Appreciate the suggestion for an undercar tank. Unfortunately, Rick's tank is in the way. Next car will be a track rat. No interior, alum/or fiberglass front clip, fuel cell and oil tank wherever the hell I want it.

The builder calls those cylinders 'diamond honed'

Originally Posted by 427 zeo6
GM dry sump tank isn't the lightest but, if you find a Z06 "track rat" who has changed his early Z06 set-up over to something else you should be able to score a tank for under $300 that should do the job for you. As long as your Camaro osn't capable of Z06 track performance, the early 8qt tank should work fine but, GM did change the tanks in 2009 and later cars and added a piggy back tank to increase oil capacity to 10.5qts it is one UGLE looking fix and comes on the GS dry sump motor also which surprised me.

OK I guess you went with aftermarket tank, better performance, but harder to fit in early chassis. Hope you took a look at the oil pump and pan and did some porting work on them, they can use a little clean-up especially the pressure passage from pump chamber to block oil passage and the oil passage into the filter area is really BADLY done by GM. I put a few hours into my LS3 dry sump pan and pump castings.
Thx for your comments. I got a pan baffle from Aviad. Seems to do the trick, I'm told. As I mentioned above I'd swap it out for an ARE pan in a heartbeat. Another do over would be a stage 5 pump hanging off the crank.

I did not port the oil pump but still may while I have access to it. It's an LS9 pump, suppose to scavenge 30% better. Jason @ Katech suggested I sell it and get one of thiers. I'll do one or the other to be on the safe side

Does it ever end?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM
ModSquad

Hey Flash, good news, there is a nice ARE complete setup with pump, for sale on here in the classifieds. Seller is kybosh, he wants $850.00. Also saw a couple of Dailey Engineering pans in the classifieds on Pro-Touring.com. I don't see much LS based stuff out of North Carolina...yet.
Does it ever end? I hope not!!!!!!

Last edited by Che70velle; 04-21-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Oiling Q - Relocating the dry sump tank...