Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

engine girdle, do i need one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine girdle, do i need one?

well I've been reading around, but still really confused. I will be running a aluminum ls2 block 408 on boost, from a 91mm turbo, and I'm thinking of running like 18lb. also will be running thick deck heads and head studs, so I'm not too worried of lifting a head but Im worried that the aluminum block will be flexing a lot at those power levels. My main caps are stock and not doweled. Are these engine girdles actually proven to help block strength and prevent the main caps from walking? I want this thing to be as reliable as I can, but already having the bottom end together with studs, it would suck to tear it apart and stuff if these girdles Arnt worth it. Thanks in advance for info/ opinions.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would def use all ARP bolts on the bottom end, and a girdle isnt a bad idea for sure. You may not need it, bit ots sure nice to have it and never worry!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
I would def use all ARP bolts on the bottom end, and a girdle isnt a bad idea for sure. You may not need it, bit ots sure nice to have it and never worry!
thanks for the info. it has arp main studs in it. That's why I wasn't sure if if was worth it to take it apart to put in a girdle. would I need to get some machine work done or is it. Direct bolt in thing?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THE-HOE
thanks for the info. it has arp main studs in it. That's why I wasn't sure if if was worth it to take it apart to put in a girdle. would I need to get some machine work done or is it. Direct bolt in thing?
im not sure how long ago it was, or who sold it, but..

there was a girdle that was a direct bolt on no machine work neccessary. anyways, it went across all the mains, and used some of those bolt holes, and was wedged between your oil pan and mains. seems like it was about $300..
Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the intended use of the engine?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tainted
im not sure how long ago it was, or who sold it, but..

there was a girdle that was a direct bolt on no machine work neccessary. anyways, it went across all the mains, and used some of those bolt holes, and was wedged between your oil pan and mains. seems like it was about $300..
DM Performance
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.erlperformance.com/erl-ls-main-girdle
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Considering all the $$ you will have in this engine, going to billet steel main caps and having them doweled would be something I would consider. Check VA Speed website, they recommend doweling mains around 800 hp - that should tell you something.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Doweling the mains has worked on many high hp applications. I haven't seen the use of a girdle like whats used in SBC's.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whistler
What is the intended use of the engine?
It's a street vehicle, but only about 6thousand miles a year. It also will be going to the strip a lot to try and beat the current record for quickest gmt 800 suv with a ls engine.
With this things weight it needs a lot of power and good tranny/ suspension. Which I'm working on, I just don't want an engine that's not going to be able to get pushed hard. Considering selling this one. and going iron block with better internals.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're not concerned about the weight, GMs revised LSX block could be a great choice for you.

Quick Reply: engine girdle, do i need one?