Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need HELP! No oil pressure, knocking... spun bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP! No oil pressure, knocking... spun bearing?

Hey guys, I've got an 01 SS with a few mods pushin 400HP and tq to the wheels. A few months ago my car died on me on my way to work and then again on my way to the gas station. I put a qt of oil in it and then she wouldn't turn over over anymore at all. Tried to jump her off but no luck so I got towed home. I was low on oil but idk if that could cause my car to just shut off on me or not. Needless to say, I put a new battery in it last week and she fired right up...but then shut off after a few seconds again. :/ when I stated it up, I heard some knocking and squeaking? Threw a rid and spun a bearing possibly? Idk. But I knoticed that it didn't have ANY oil pressure at all and the only way for me to keep her runnin was to keep me foot on the gas a little. If someone could help me figure out what's possibly wrong with my baby, id really appreciate your help. Thanks

Last edited by Chevyboi09; 04-30-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Need more responses
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like your correct about a bearing issue. Best way to tell is to turn motor over with a breaker bar. Socket on crank pully. Clockwise but don't tighten bolt. But before that take surpentine belt off.seen alternator sieze and thought motor was bad.motor sould turn with some resistance not a lot.no oil pressure was your first clue.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. I'm goin to have to wait till this weekend to try this out bc my neighbor's a dick. And bc my car's too loud for my neighborhood too I guess. But soon as I try this I'll let u know what it's doing. Another question. While I'm having to get into the engine, would it be wise to go ahead and do some upgrading? Cam, heads, pushrods, main bearings, oil pump, timing chain...? I planned on doing thes mods later on in the future but didn't plan on throwing a rod and what not. This is my DD and and only car. Would u just get it to run first and THEN upgrade? Or just go ahead and get a LiL more money together and be patient and make some upgrades?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

if you have no oil pressure and it wont turn over she is toast. your looking total rebuild. just went threw the same thing. you can add crank, lifters, rods, rod bearings to your list
Old 05-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by T-56SLPSS
if you have no oil pressure and it wont turn over she is toast. your looking total rebuild. just went threw the same thing. you can add crank, lifters, rods, rod bearings to your list
It'll turn over and run...I drove it(tho probably not the best idea) the other day down my street and back but I just couldn't let off the gas for more than half a second. Oil pressure is ok when I have my foot on the gas but drops immediately when I let off. She turns over every time so hopefully my problem doesn't require a COMPLETE rebuild.... I was told by a friend that it my be my oil pressure sensor? This is the kit that I am looking at from TSP. I am also trying to figure out the best set of main bearings to go with. http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1161-pr...m-package.aspx MS3 Cam; 112LSA; Rollmaster LS1 double roller chain; LS6 Ported oil pump...

Quick Reply: Need HELP! No oil pressure, knocking... spun bearing?