Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stock Bottom End LS3 Capabilities N/A

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Bottom End LS3 Capabilities N/A

I might have an option at picking up a cheap LS3. I am contemplating putting it in my Mustang Notch. I had planned on doing up a stroker in the future but funds are low currently and If I sell my Turbo SBF setup I can probably afford converting this to a N/A LS EFI. So I would start with this and it will be cheaper going to a stroker later on...

My setup would be something like this:

stock bottom end, ARP main and head studs
stock LS3 heads ported, change rockers? and lifters?
stock LS3 intake or aftermarket? whats the HP difference I will see ?
of course a custom cam
what size TB?, Injectors and is it necessary to go aftermarket rails ?

Car weighs in about 3000 with me in it. Will have a Turbo 400 behind it. It will be pump gas and tuned with stock computer and HP tuners setup. This would be a max effort setup so a big converter and a lot of gear. I am figuring with the heads ported and maybe milled a bit I will be running around 11.5 to 1 compression.

all opinions and comments considered. Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LSFOX
I might have an option at picking up a cheap LS3. I am contemplating putting it in my Mustang Notch. I had planned on doing up a stroker in the future but funds are low currently and If I sell my Turbo SBF setup I can probably afford converting this to a N/A LS EFI. So I would start with this and it will be cheaper going to a stroker later on...

My setup would be something like this:

stock bottom end, ARP main and head studs
stock LS3 heads ported, change rockers? and lifters?
stock LS3 intake or aftermarket? whats the HP difference I will see ?
of course a custom cam
what size TB?, Injectors and is it necessary to go aftermarket rails ?

Car weighs in about 3000 with me in it. Will have a Turbo 400 behind it. It will be pump gas and tuned with stock computer and HP tuners setup. This would be a max effort setup so a big converter and a lot of gear. I am figuring with the heads ported and maybe milled a bit I will be running around 11.5 to 1 compression.

all opinions and comments considered. Thanks
You are right on with your fasteners.
You can just run the stock rockers with the trunion upgrade, as for the lifters IMO I would never go back to running trays, nothing but link bars. its not much more money to go that route.
Run the stock intake or get it ported. Gains haven't been seen too much with a FAST on a stock cube motor.
You can stick with the stock T/B and you can run the stock size injectors or some 42's

Why run a big stall and deep gear when you can throw a cheap nitrous kit on?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You are right on with your fasteners.
You can just run the stock rockers with the trunion upgrade, as for the lifters IMO I would never go back to running trays, nothing but link bars. its not much more money to go that route.
Run the stock intake or get it ported. Gains haven't been seen too much with a FAST on a stock cube motor.
You can stick with the stock T/B and you can run the stock size injectors or some 42's

Why run a big stall and deep gear when you can throw a cheap nitrous kit on?
I'd rather keep it NA. Once you put spray on it your automatically pinned with the title that there is a 250+ hit on it. So keeping it on motor makes it easier to get a race without getting into a pissing contest about how much spray is on it...

What do you think it would make HP wise?

Thanks for the info
Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you could mill a little more if you wanted to fly-cut some and go with a bigger cam since you say it will mainly be for track use.

I agree with 87silverbullet in what he said about everything, but if it's a track car why not a single plane intake?

It would really go with your N/A, big stall, low gear set-up and along with a good sized cam should make close to 475-480rwhp through a stalled auto.

I can do a custom grind cam for you and toss around some ideas if you'd like.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I think you could mill a little more if you wanted to fly-cut some and go with a bigger cam since you say it will mainly be for track use.

I agree with 87silverbullet in what he said about everything, but if it's a track car why not a single plane intake?

It would really go with your N/A, big stall, low gear set-up and along with a good sized cam should make close to 475-480rwhp through a stalled auto.

I can do a custom grind cam for you and toss around some ideas if you'd like.

Never said I was racing on the track..... lol

But yea I could go with the VicJr intake. Didn't know if it was gonna make that much of a difference over the stock LS3.

milling the heads and fly cutting the pistons will give me what kinda compression?

I would be happy with over 450HP at the wheels. Will put me deep in the 10's
Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

A vic and a 4150 will pick up a no-**** 40hp over the ls3 intake/tb over 5000 rpm.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

But yea I could go with the VicJr intake. Didn't know if it was gonna make that much of a difference over the stock LS3.

milling the heads and fly cutting the pistons will give me what kinda compression?

Ha! Killing them streets, eh?!

Martin is right about going with a single plane if you can fit it. It will bring you more hp on top but you will lose a little bottom end grunt, but that's what stalls and gears are for!

You have enough compression as it sits no need for milling right now. 450 rwhp will be very doable with the stock compression and a single plane. There are guys with LQ9 6.0's that are cam only in mustangs that are pushing 9's.

Lastly, who has to know you have spray? You want me to pop my hood, its going to cost you.

Plus you always put 2 kits on it that way you can tell the opponent " I will only spray one kit", but he doesn't know that the one kit has a 250 hit. I get more races with the spray than without. Grudging is 90% bullshiting and talking and 10% racing.

Put the spray on it and go bust some low 9's
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

My turbo setup now will be mid 9's. Its so sad I'm already looking to replace it....

I need 450 at a minimum. Want everything I can get. My old SBF made 490 on a 100 shot and was bottom 10's so this new car is lighter....

I def wanna go all motor for now. I may think about spraying it in the future but a reliable all motor setup has just been on my mind for a while.

I figure I can start with this motor and slowly get the right parts to build a serious iron block stroker.

I have the room to clear anything. Spacer under the TB?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Well my LS3 deal may be falling through.....

What differences will I see using a LS2 shortblock with the ported LS3 heads?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my LS3 deal may be falling through.....

What differences will I see using a LS2 shortblock with the ported LS3 heads?
A lot. The valve shrouding on the ls2 bore holds the ls3 style heads back. Pat g and numerous other have said a 4.030 bore or larger is what you need to take advantage of the ls3 heads. Stock ls2 bore is 4.00

With the smaller bore you got several issues. With the valve shrouding your ptv clearance is limited. Also you wont be able to mill heads much if any for compression because of ptv.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

It will make a big difference.
Originally Posted by DietCoke
A vic and a 4150 will pick up a no-**** 40hp over the ls3 intake/tb over 5000 rpm.
This much of a difference is not unusual especially with the right cam.
Ha! Killing them streets, eh?!

Martin is right about going with a single plane if you can fit it. It will bring you more hp on top but you will lose a little bottom end grunt, but that's what stalls and gears are for!

You have enough compression as it sits no need for milling right now. 450 rwhp will be very doable with the stock compression and a single plane. There are guys with LQ9 6.0's that are cam only in mustangs that are pushing 9's.

Lastly, who has to know you have spray? You want me to pop my hood, its going to cost you.

Plus you always put 2 kits on it that way you can tell the opponent " I will only spray one kit", but he doesn't know that the one kit has a 250 hit. I get more races with the spray than without. Grudging is 90% bullshiting and talking and 10% racing.

Put the spray on it and go bust some low 9's
Hard to argue when you say you're going to take your nitrous off! Then BAM! Jump bus lengths on them.

Originally Posted by Tainted
A lot. The valve shrouding on the ls2 bore holds the ls3 style heads back. Pat g and numerous other have said a 4.030 bore or larger is what you need to take advantage of the ls3 heads. Stock ls2 bore is 4.00

With the smaller bore you got several issues. With the valve shrouding your ptv clearance is limited. Also you wont be able to mill heads much if any for compression because of ptv.
He said he was ok with fly-cutting for PTV clearance.

I agree with the valve shrouding issue though. 4.030 bore will really help the LS3 heads shine and honestly IMO they need a 4.065" bore to really be a viable option over a ported cathedral port casting.

LSfox, call me at the shop and let's get a game plan put together. Without a solid plan of attack all this "what if" is just that. Let me know and I'll put together a solid package for you.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Hard to argue when you say you're going to take your nitrous off! Then BAM! Jump bus lengths on them.
C'mon Martin, that's not how you do it!

If you did, you will never get a race again. You just gotta keep tapping that *** so they come back for more. I can show you a few examples
Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

C'mon Martin, that's not how you do it!

If you did, you will never get a race again. You just gotta keep tapping that *** so they come back for more. I can show you a few examples
Can you tell I am not a grudge racer? LOL

Quick Reply: Stock Bottom End LS3 Capabilities N/A