Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT tuning with compcams limiter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At 3000rpm(+5) that 20ft/lb gain of torque is quite abit over a cam that was say installed +2 all the way. From your tables it looks like VVT is worthwhile. Once you get it all figured out the final results should be interesting. It would be interesting to know the difference at say 2000rpm which would be around a nice cruise rpm going down the highway. It appears there might be a little gain in mpg with the extra torque available.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Do you have the phaser limiter installed or did you remove/modify it? As pointed out in this thread, you're going to be limited to about 8-10 cam deg variation with the limiter, so I'm not sure why you claim I made "small variances" when the VVT tune is moving it from +6 to -1 in my testing above? I know your cam is smaller than the TSP grinds most of us are working with, but what large variances are you planning?
Yes I do have the limiter installed. I was checking pacement after seeing Bandit or you ( cant recall who it was now ) pointed out that there are differences in the chambers so I wanted to check mine was in the right place and thats when I found the broken tensioner and then dammit all to hell if I didnt release the spring by accident.... It was late... and ya know a beer or ten later... **** happens

As for the changes? I want to basically rape the hell out of the VVT tables when it hits the dyno. I'll do one just as is for a baseline as its what seems to work best from seat of the pants. Then i'll do a pull with VVT zero'd completely. Then add sweeping changes to my baseline tune and compare the gains/losses after the fact.

The funny thing is I would have sworn on a case of beer that mine makes the most impact up top, WAY up top. This things seems to carry out RPM so much higher than this little cam "should" which makes sense in my peanut brain that retarded cam makes for higher peak. Anyways I got a new phaser here now Im just waiting on my LS2 damner to arrive ( 5-7 days ufff ) and if im not swamped with work then I should have it back together in a day or so then off to the dyno I go but.... the white stuff has been falling. No salt on the roads yet here but JUST North of me there has been over a foot of snow. If the weather catches me before I get out? It'll be next spring. Blah
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

@3000 rpm
VVTcam = 334 lb-ft (+5 tune) 150 g/sec
+4 cam = 331 lb-ft 149 g/sec
+2 cam = 314 lb-ft 147 g/sec
@3000 rpm I find it interesting that the airflow is only about 2% different between the +2 and +5 timing, but the torque is up by over 5%. I wonder what's going on there. Also look at this:

At peak HP RPM (6300 rev-limit)
VVTcam = 447 hp (-1 tune) 383 g/sec
+4 cam = 446 hp 368 g/sec
+2 cam = 448 hp 392 g/sec
Here @6300rpm you have a 6% swing in airflow and less than 0.5% change in HP. I wonder what's going on there?

I assume you logged these runs. Did you see anything interesting in the data that might explain the above? Also did you confirm the cam timing was remaining static when you locked it at +2 and +4?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id be interested in seeing the actual vvt tables themselves vs trying to create a map in my cold/flu drug ridden head right now
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

"This things seems to carry out RPM so much higher than this little cam "should" which makes sense in my peanut brain that retarded cam makes for higher peak."

That is generally true and I had forgot about that. This VVT thing could be very interesting. I think we all will be waiting for your results.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Area47
id be interested in seeing the actual vvt tables themselves vs trying to create a map in my cold/flu drug ridden head right now
VVT tuning with compcams limiter-hpt_vvt_table.jpg

Here's the VVT table (low/med/high baro tables the same) that I ran on the dyno, before locking to +4 and +2 for the last tests. The Actual cam timing tracks the commanded pretty closely, but does go +/- 0.5 cam deg at times.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
@3000 rpm I find it interesting that the airflow is only about 2% different between the +2 and +5 timing, but the torque is up by over 5%. I wonder what's going on there. Also look at this:

Here @6300rpm you have a 6% swing in airflow and less than 0.5% change in HP. I wonder what's going on there?

I assume you logged these runs. Did you see anything interesting in the data that might explain the above? Also did you confirm the cam timing was remaining static when you locked it at +2 and +4?
I do have HPT scanner logs from all 8 runs, as well as uncorrelated WB-AFR data from all 8. I honestly haven't had much time to crunch numbers much beyond the little bits I've been posting here. The MAF readings do jump around, but when I grabbed these numbers I posted I tried to read a sample before and 1 after to verify the trend or average one where no trend existed.
There could easily be 3-5% variance in the airflow.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
"This things seems to carry out RPM so much higher than this little cam "should" which makes sense in my peanut brain that retarded cam makes for higher peak."

That is generally true and I had forgot about that. This VVT thing could be very interesting. I think we all will be waiting for your results.
True.. I regret not finding the rev-limiter until my session was over, I'm sure I'll be back to the dyno next year. While I've never been a dyno racer, I would like to get as much data as I can..

It's interesting that the TSP VVT-2 and VVT-3 dyno tests both flatlined at 5800rpm, so I'm sure the cam will peak higher, but they must have been running into another limitation which is why I asked about their test mule mods. I'm guessing the stock exhaust ports were limiting them?

VVT tuning with compcams limiter-vvt2chassis.jpg TSP VVT-2 2010 Camaro L99/auto dyno

VVT tuning with compcams limiter-vvt3dyno.jpg TSP VVT-3 2010 Camaro L99/auto dyno

My heads had a 5-angle job and some exh bowl work done while getting
cleaned up. But I also have smaller (1-3/4") headers, a stock (C6) air intake & filter, and smallish (L92) throttle-body.. All these variables and more will affect peak power numbers from one vehicle to the next.. My numbers could have
been peaking at the rev-limiter as some of them look, or they may have continued an upwards trend and peaked at 6500?? At least comparing my VVT peak HP at 1deg cam retard vs the 2deg cam advance, the VVT-2 cam in my car didn't seem to like the extra cam retard and there might have been a sweeter spot between +2 and -1, or the -1 may have kicked up abover 6300...

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 11-27-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

"It's interesting that the TSP VVT-2 and VVT-3 dyno tests both flatlined at 5800rpm, so I'm sure the cam will peak higher, but they must have been running into another limitation which is why I asked about their test mule mods."

I agree. There is something wrong with both those dyno runs. No way that motor should have been peaking at 5750. I believe the VVT-3 cam is something like 231/239 at .050" with the total lift around .615" to .620". Something amiss for sure. I don't know what supporting mods were used with the posted tests.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Those cams carry well though they keep it up and dont nose over. Im probably going to be around 430whp or so would be my guess based on my trap speed and smaller grind with a single full 3" exh. Im not really a dyno racer either its just a tuning tool so you can see if your gaining or losing ground
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Attachment 381732

Here's the VVT table (low/med/high baro tables the same) that I ran on the dyno, before locking to +4 and +2 for the last tests. The Actual cam timing tracks the commanded pretty closely, but does go +/- 0.5 cam deg at times.
i see, so you more or less from 3200+ locked it in at 2 or 4 degree retard to see what it did, or am i thinking wrong again.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Area47
i see, so you more or less from 3200+ locked it in at 2 or 4 degree retard to see what it did, or am i thinking wrong again.
Well the entire table was locked at a value of 4 (+2 cam deg advanced) and of 2 ( +4 cam deg advance) since my cam is installed at +6. With the VVT table given above, I basically showed what TQ the cam can do down low by the 0s in the table and what HP the cam can do up top by the 8s (actually max of about 7) and the other +2 and +4 tests show the in-betweens.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I cant search old stuff anymore im zapped and finally wrenching on this thing again. Which cavity is the ideal one for the phaser limiter I cant recall or find the pic? got a link to that thread or pic anyone?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did mine, more or less setup like the pictures that came with the limiter in the instructions
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yeah so did I but I recall a pic in one of the many threads suggesting one cavity was slightly bigger than the rest. Seems to me it was this one I have the arrow pointing too in this pic so thats where I installed it last night.
Attached Thumbnails VVT tuning with compcams limiter-phaser_limiter_position.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

That is what I did in following along what was in the picture.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yeah the little notch reminded me. I wish I had a phase log of the other cavity though, it would have been neat to compare. Anyways its in there now I "might" get it fired back up tomorrow if I can clear out the day. Lots going on
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

the most i have seen is 8.4 degree's. i live with that. if i was going to move the block, i might as well swap cams when im in there
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yeah Id like to try a different cam too but I have WAY too many projects piling up so this ones done for a few years. It cooks dont get me wrong I like it, but I could handle a hella lot more aggressive cam than this thing.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cam
Yeah so did I but I recall a pic in one of the many threads suggesting one cavity was slightly bigger than the rest. Seems to me it was this one I have the arrow pointing too in this pic so thats where I installed it last night.
The pic in the instructions is correct (I think it's the cavity next to the pivot bolt). It's identifiable by looking at the vanes. All of mine didn't actually touch the body of the phaser, except the larger cavity...

Quick Reply: VVT tuning with compcams limiter