Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ERL or RED for LS7 re-sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ERL or RED for LS7 re-sleeve

First, I know they both are sponsers here, and both do great quality work. I

I'm looking at is re-sleeving an LS7 for a boosted application, probably around 15Lbs of boost, maybe 1000Hp. Possible more later.

If I went with the basic dry sleeve, I could probably use either ERL or RED. But, I have been considering the Superdeck option from ERL as it looks like it would be more stout, incase I decide to up the boost later.

I really want to use piston oil squirters, but am unsure if the Superdeck block can be machined for them due to the trusses and longer sleeves.

I already emailed Steve at RED and got a quick reply, I'm just waiting on a response from ERL.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Not sure where RED is located, but ERL isnt far northeast from you, just across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY.

Im sure you would be happy with either. Seem to have good reputations around here.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

RED is in Oceanside, CA (SoCal)
Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with ERL myself.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ERL Performance for sure....
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had great luck with ERL. My current engine is the 6 bolt superdeck has the piston squirters, it uses a 5.3 core
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

I've had 2 erl motors one dry and one superdeck. Had good luck with both of them. They are great to deal with. If you take your motor there they will show you the machining and sleeve process.

Last edited by delphigto; 10-20-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I have had great luck with ERL. My current engine is the 6 bolt superdeck has the piston squirters, it uses a 5.3 core
Thank you. Now that I know I can use piston squirters I am more excited about the ERL Superdeck. I sent them an email last week, but haven't gotten a response yet. So I'll just wait a few more days.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Please check your inbox here on LS1-Tech. I messaged you back on Tuesday I think. Please let me know how we can help. Thanks!

Originally Posted by erick_e
Thank you. Now that I know I can use piston squirters I am more excited about the ERL Superdeck. I sent them an email last week, but haven't gotten a response yet. So I'll just wait a few more days.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
Please check your inbox here on LS1-Tech. I messaged you back on Tuesday I think. Please let me know how we can help. Thanks!
Nothing in my in-box. My original email was sent using your contact me webpage http://www.erlperformance.com/contacts-domestic here.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We've always used RED with great results, but ERL is also a top notch company.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not heard of RED, but I know ERL does great work!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 281 Likes on 214 Posts

Did a LS2 dry sleeve 427 cube with RED. Steve was great for response on any question.

Runs great no issues.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

ERL is no joke dude. hands down one of the most highly recommended builders out there. KUP is another.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Have not heard of RED, but I know ERL does great work!
Damn man you've been around for a while and have never heard of RED?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Damn man you've been around for a while and have never heard of RED?
I've been trying to think, but nothing comes up... anyone have a link? I'm interested. I always go to LME for my motor needs.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
I've been trying to think, but nothing comes up... anyone have a link? I'm interested. I always go to LME for my motor needs.
http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...4927/index.htm

Like the guy above me said they are very proficient at what they do, cost less and do the same quality work ERL does.

Again ERL is bad ***, but we've never been unhappy with work we've had done by RED and we have two personal shop motors we've used in Jonathan's race car for years with the 427 and 5-6 years with the 434 C5R motor and it's been around the block way before we had it(the C5R motor that is).
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by erick_e
Eric,
I just sent you a message. Hoping this one shows up.

Martin, thanks for all the kind words. If there is anything we can ever do for you guys let me know. we are only a couple States away from you all.

When you all are shopping around make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you look at price. Martin mentioned that some others "cost less" but make sure you know what you're getting for your money.

You aren't just getting a sleeved block with the block decked and cleaned. In addition to all that we also include in our price:
- block stress relieving
- a Finish Cylinder Hone
- an Align Hone
- A set of ARP Main Studs

In other words all the machining is all done here in house.

There are very, very few who can sleeve blocks without issues and certainly Steve w/ RED is one of them. I just wanted to address the cost issue that was raised.

Another thing we've worked hard on is our inventory. We have the following sleeved blocks in stock:

4 - LS2 Dry Sleeve blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
9 - LS2, LS3, LSA and LS7 Superdeck 1 "4 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
13 - LS2, LS3 and 5.3 Superdeck 1 "6 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)

So turn around time is very quick and we can also turn these into any of our short blocks as well pretty quick as well since the sleeving process is already completed.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
Eric,
I just sent you a message. Hoping this one shows up.

Martin, thanks for all the kind words. If there is anything we can ever do for you guys let me know. we are only a couple States away from you all.

When you all are shopping around make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you look at price. Martin mentioned that some others "cost less" but make sure you know what you're getting for your money.

You aren't just getting a sleeved block with the block decked and cleaned. In addition to all that we also include in our price:
- block stress relieving
- a Finish Cylinder Hone
- an Align Hone
- A set of ARP Main Studs

In other words all the machining is all done here in house.

There are very, very few who can sleeve blocks without issues and certainly Steve w/ RED is one of them. I just wanted to address the cost issue that was raised.

Another thing we've worked hard on is our inventory. We have the following sleeved blocks in stock:

4 - LS2 Dry Sleeve blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
9 - LS2, LS3, LSA and LS7 Superdeck 1 "4 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)
13 - LS2, LS3 and 5.3 Superdeck 1 "6 bolt" blocks on the shelf (Just need to be finished honed)

So turn around time is very quick and we can also turn these into any of our short blocks as well pretty quick as well since the sleeving process is already completed.
Don't tempt me!!!

Seriously we may end up doing some business together in the upcoming months. I have a few customer builds that are getting started with the planning stages now and my own personal engine build that needs some attention after being put on hold.

That is a very impressive inventory and must be a small fortune in overhead.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

I have never heard of RED either. I'll check out the link that has been posted. Thanks!

Quick Reply: ERL or RED for LS7 re-sleeve