LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   please help cam specs needed (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1610910-please-help-cam-specs-needed.html)

2nd_time_ls1 12-27-2012 09:35 PM

please help cam specs needed

I'm building a new motor in about a year the motor will be a ls7 based motor. I know every part that I need besides what cam. Plan on driving as my daily and auto cross. Will be building during the time I'm home, leaving for the marines ii n January or February.

Erl superdeck with a 4.2 bore
Callie 4 inch crank
Wiseco -2.8 pistons
Prc 265 ls7 heads w/ titanium intake valves
Mast ls7 efi 4500 intake
4500 dominator throttle body
Roller lifters
3/8 .120 wall luxuries
Brian Tooley 400 lb dual valve springs
Harland rockers
Qtp long tubes

Will be running on e85
Will be making custom hood to fit all this under

Dyno Junkie 12-28-2012 04:51 AM

Why would spend all that money and then restrict it with a MAF?:eek2:

87silverbullet 12-28-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie (Post 17011091)

^^^Exactly.

Furthermore, why would you go to the max bore on the ERL block? If you hurt it you can't safely bore it. There is no reason to go with an ERL block either for what you are trying to do.

I wouldn't use Yella Terra rockers either. With all the breakage as of lately, I would look elsewhere for rockers.

Can't state what valve springs you are going to use until you know what cam you are running so I don't see how you know you are going to run 400lb valvesprings.

Since you are going to run E85 I would take advantage of it by running more compression. 12.5:1 at least.

You will be doing more than just getting a custom hood to fit that if its going in an F-body.

2nd_time_ls1 12-28-2012 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie (Post 17011091)

So go speed density?

2nd_time_ls1 12-28-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet (Post 17011384)
^^^Exactly.

Furthermore, why would you go to the max bore on the ERL block? If you hurt it you can't safely bore it. There is no reason to go with an ERL block either for what you are trying to do.

I wouldn't use Yella Terra rockers either. With all the breakage as of lately, I would look elsewhere for rockers.

Can't state what valve springs you are going to use until you know what cam you are running so I don't see how you know you are going to run 400lb valvesprings.

Since you are going to run E85 I would take advantage of it by running more compression. 12.5:1 at least.

You will be doing more than just getting a custom hood to fit that if its going in an F-body.

On the rockers. I wanted to get some that were steel over aluminum, but I could not find any with roller tips.

With the bore, is there not a significant hp difference between 4.2 and 4.185?

Compression will be around 12.5 with the heads milled to 64 and a .045 gasket

I though for the valve springs all you need to know was the max lift of the cam?

Thanks for the input.

Sales@Tick 12-28-2012 01:28 PM

There is much more to what springs you need than max lift. Open and seat pressures have to be examined to understand how much is needed for the weight of your entire valve-train including the intensity of the cam lobes.

There really isn't going to be any off the shelf cam that will work optimally in your application.

2nd_time_ls1 12-28-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick (Post 17012026)
There is much more to what springs you need than max lift. Open and seat pressures have to be examined to understand how much is needed for the weight of your entire valve-train including the intensity of the cam lobes.

There really isn't going to be any off the shelf cam that will work optimally in your application.

Do you have any suggestions on a cam? Looking to make around 600 hp going through a 6 speed, high rpm 7400, really don't care about lift over .600.

Thank you for the info dude

2nd_time_ls1 12-28-2012 02:39 PM

Springs I was looking at are Brian tooley bt racing extreme

ERL Performance 01-02-2013 08:26 AM

Brian knows his stuff! Can't go wrong with him.

Sales@Tick 01-02-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2nd_time_ls1 (Post 17012203)
Do you have any suggestions on a cam? Looking to make around 600 hp going through a 6 speed, high rpm 7400, really don't care about lift over .600.

Thank you for the info dude

PM sent.