Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 stock rebuild ring gaps and piston to wall too loose?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 stock rebuild ring gaps and piston to wall too loose?

Honed cylinders in shop, cleaned up old pistons, put in stock GM rings (factory gapped, not file to fit, so they fell as they fell), all new bearings.

.017-.020 top rings gaps
.025-.030 second ring gaps

Piston to wall clearance is up to .004 in some cylinders. But at least the cylinders are true now (were pretty wobbly before on the bore gauge).

The skirt coating is mostly worn off the stock pistons.

Should I be worried about blowby, oil consumption, piston slap?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Teching In

No opinions?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they are with in the tollerance range you will be fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Well... The ring gaps are right at the high end of the range, so I guess I'm ok with that:

Piston Ring End Gap - First Compression Ring - Measured in Cylinder Bore - Service 0.0067-0.0173 in

Piston Ring End Gap - Second Compression Ring - Measured in Cylinder Bore - Service 0.0126-0.0272 in

But the piston to wall clearance is way out, if I'm up to .004:

Piston to Bore Clearance - Service Limit with Skirt Coating Worn Off 0.0022 in

Now this is really strage:

Piston to Bore Clearance - Production -0.0019 to +0.000 in

Negative cearance??? How the hell does that work??

Any real world experiences with piston to wall clearance of .004"? I measured near the bottom of the skirt. Some cylinders / some spots get tighter, around .003", but the max of .004 sounds scary. I know race pistons run with much wider clearances, but then those alloys have different expansion rates than these stock pistons.

At this point it's basically a moot point, because I'm not gonna tear it up again, bore it, and buy new pistons and rings... It's pretty much together now. Truth is, I didn't expect the shop to take this much material off the bores. But I'm curious as to what I should expect. I know these engines like to piston slap even with factory tolerances, so I'm a little worried...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm no expert, but I think you need an oversize service piston and a piston ring set.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steel_3d
Well... The ring gaps are right at the high end of the range, so I guess I'm ok with that:

Piston Ring End Gap - First Compression Ring - Measured in Cylinder Bore - Service 0.0067-0.0173 in

Piston Ring End Gap - Second Compression Ring - Measured in Cylinder Bore - Service 0.0126-0.0272 in

But the piston to wall clearance is way out, if I'm up to .004:

Piston to Bore Clearance - Service Limit with Skirt Coating Worn Off 0.0022 in

Now this is really strage:

Piston to Bore Clearance - Production -0.0019 to +0.000 in

Negative cearance??? How the hell does that work??

Any real world experiences with piston to wall clearance of .004"? I measured near the bottom of the skirt. Some cylinders / some spots get tighter, around .003", but the max of .004 sounds scary. I know race pistons run with much wider clearances, but then those alloys have different expansion rates than these stock pistons.

At this point it's basically a moot point, because I'm not gonna tear it up again, bore it, and buy new pistons and rings... It's pretty much together now. Truth is, I didn't expect the shop to take this much material off the bores. But I'm curious as to what I should expect. I know these engines like to piston slap even with factory tolerances, so I'm a little worried...
I'd say, a bit of blow-by (smoke) due to piston rock from the larger clearance. Run it and have a ball...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I'd say, a bit of blow-by (smoke) due to piston rock from the larger clearance. Run it and have a ball...
X2, loose is fast but don't plan on the ring seal to hang around forever. I would put it together and run the **** out of it, and save for a set of over sized pistons and rings to put in a year or two.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would'nt run it if it were Me ,,,,,,,,I would do it right this time ,,,,,,,,,if You do run it ,,,,,,You'll probably want to create a little extra clearance in the bearings and then run Valvoline 60 wt. racing oil and maybe some Lucas additive ,,,,ha ha ha and it might be quiet 4 a while
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Yeah, sorry for the lack of update. From feedback on other forums, I decided to redo the whole thing. .004 is a bit much even for 4032 forgings, but hypereutectic won't expand, and it'll likely never stop slapping.

The block's at another shop as of today. I'm putting in 20 over Silvolite hypereutectics, hastings rings, and calling it a day. Should be good for a stock rebuild.

If all goes well, and they don't screw me again, I can finish it up and drop it in this weekend, and I'm without a car for one extra week only...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 stock rebuild ring gaps and piston to wall too loose?