Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

looking for some opinion/diagnosis of clatter coming from my LS2

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for some opinion/diagnosis of clatter coming from my LS2

I already posted this on my gto forum, but figured Id see what the experts here think... so far the consensus if a lifter issue, but I'm not convinced. had a lifter fail last year, sounded nothing like this.

that being said, heres the scenerio:

so i just got my car back last week since getting new clutch, anti hop axle, bushings and wheels put on, all was right with the world, drove it home no issues, i was happy to finally have my car back...
car sat 3 days because of snow, started it last night to move so i could shovel around it. let it idle for a couple minutes, all was still right with the world... whats that i hear??? a strange knocking under my hood?? how could this be??!! i dont drag race my car, i dont beat on it!!!!! i just sat there idling!! got out of the car, popped the hood and heard this lovely sound.

oil pressure looked good, idled fine... decided to shoot a quick video before i shut it down. oil level is perfect, no CEL or low oil pressure light.

Im at my witts end with this car!! i have never loved and hated something so much in my life. i seriously want to push it off the highest cliff i can find in NJ! its a sad day, when my piece of ****, beater sunfire, is more reliable then this turd i sink all my money into.

mods are in my sig... my entire valve train, heads, cam, psi max life 1511 springs, push rods, link bar lifters are less than a year old, less than 20K miles on it. currently, the car has about 73K on it. it sounded like the back, passneger side of the motor but its hard to tell because the sound seemed to be bouncing around. i DO NOT want to start it again to listen.

another clip...

my engine/valvetrain has always seemed noisey to me. i know LS2s are known for their "sewing machine" likeness, but even over the summer i thought it sounded " tappier" then most GTOs Ive heard. listen to the back ground after and between revs. you can hear it ticking. does that sound normal?

Quick Reply: looking for some opinion/diagnosis of clatter coming from my LS2