Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Longevity of a built lq4/lq9

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longevity of a built lq4/lq9

I'm considering buying a 05 1500 that has had the motor swapped out with what sounds like fully built iron 6.0l, he say it has a forged lunati rotating assembly in. has had the heads shaved and a new valve train installed which he dosn't know the brand of the rockers or springs. He cant tell me the brand of cam or the specs, hes claiming 505hp, which from what i have read isnt an impossible number. says he has build sheet for it but has not produced it yet. my question is the motor has 40,000 miles on it, im sure it has been abused most of its life. Provided that the engine builder knew what he was doing and the motor was done right, how long do they last.

Thanks for all the help advance
Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be suspicious, he has the paperwork but doesn't know what rockers it has??

That right there is a red flag, amongst other things.

I would ask for the paper work on the shortblock build, if he doesn't have it and you test drive and like it then treat it as a stock engine when negotiating.

Don't get scammed, like I did once before.

PS: people that work on their cars or get work done to their vehicle know exactly what cam, rockers, CC of the heads, springs, etc... That they have.

If he has to guess on parts then call BS, don't be naive!

Good luck hope it works out
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a compression and leakdown test on it. If thats on the up and up and you can get a good deal I wouldnt be too concerned.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never buy a vehicle based on what I can't see. It is very difficult, for most people, to tell by driving if it's 400 or 500 hp. Not knowing the parts is suspicious but not totally unrealistic, I for get part names all the time especially if I had a shop install them. Producing the paperwork should be a no brainer, if he has it for sale he should have that ready to show.

Is it 505 hp or 505 whp? big difference. if he claims whp I would be suspicious.

Bottom line is follow your instincts, if you don't feel comfortable about it pass it up.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on what pistons he used, you most likely have to at least replace the piston rings. With forged 2618 pistons 40k miles is getting up there for the rings, especially if he daily drove this car and had multiple cold starts every day.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 PM

Well I went and looked at the truck, everything looks to be on the up and up, turns out to be a 18 year old "rich kid", and that's why he doesn't have the paper work for it, its lost in his apartment. There are a few things that need to be fixed on the truck but for the most part the previous owner put lots of time and money into this so if I can get it cheap I'm going to bite the bullet, it will be a good starting point for me to finish. The only questionable thing he said is its 500hp at the wheels, and he has the dyno sheet somewhere in his house, on the street I'm not sure u could tell the difference between 500whp and 500bhp so I'm just going to forget he said that until he shows me the paper work. I'll keep u guys posted thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Longevity of a built lq4/lq9