Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need more opinions on my LQ9 top end build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more opinions on my LQ9 top end build

Okay..

I have a 06 LQ9 with 78k.. Motor looks great. Im starting to shop around for a top end setup that will get me hopefully 500whp.

The Motor is going into a 98 BMW M3 and will be used as a Drift car and with that said im looking for power band between 3500-7000rpm and will probably have a 6500/6800 rev limit.

I keep getting mixed info from people and im just all confused now. I emailed texas speed and told them what block i had and what my goals where and they spec'ed out the following package for me. But ive been told to not go with this package by local people to me.

Need help. $3,000.00 Budget for the top end which all this basically take's up.

Texas Speed Performance Package for my goals.
1. PRC 225cc As-Cast Aftermarket Casting Heads, 62cc chambers
2. PRC .675" Lift Dual Valve spring kit
3. MS4 Cam 111 LSA
4. Pushrods
5. Comp Cams Retro-Fit Rocker Arm Trunion Kit
6. Katech rod bolts
7. ARP Head bolts

TSP also told me i would not have to worry about PVC as long as the factory thickness LQ9 Head gasket's where used.

Also going with this setup will be a FAST LSXR 102 intake, and a 102 Throttle body.

Thank you all for the help.

Last edited by rpm620; 01-13-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Everything looks good to me. I would just go with a smaller cam personally but that's just my preference. I also think that your gonna have a pretty tough time putting a setup like that together for under 3 grand.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Teching In

what i listed comes right in at 2800 or so.. but ive read recently (after i posted this thread) that people dont recommend the MS4 cam due to the harshness of it on the valvetrain.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The MS4 is not harsh on valvetrain. Its the people who don't set theirs up correctly is the reason for most valvetrain failures. Don't expect the springs to last 40k miles of hard running but they will last a good 2 to 3 years or more of track days and some street driving.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
The MS4 is not harsh on valvetrain. Its the people who don't set theirs up correctly is the reason for most valvetrain failures. Don't expect the springs to last 40k miles of hard running but they will last a good 2 to 3 years or more of track days and some street driving.
The MS4 uses a LSK lobe. Quoted directly from Comp's catalog:

"The LSK Series has been designed with enhanced characteristics from our latest professional drag racing profiles. These have excellent ramp quickness. They are VERY hard on parts and not generally recommended in street applications!"
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
The MS4 uses a LSK lobe. Quoted directly from Comp's catalog:

"The LSK Series has been designed with enhanced characteristics from our latest professional drag racing profiles. These have excellent ramp quickness. They are VERY hard on parts and not generally recommended in street applications!"
I understand what the site says and that it is an LSK lobe. The part that is missing is the real world data.

I have 2 friends with MS4's and they have their valvetrains adjusted perfectly they drive their cars for 200 miles or more on the weekends during the summer months and down here we have 9 months of summer. In that time, they go to the track and they street race. One cam has been in the car for 6 years and the other car has had its cam for 4 years. We replaced the springs in the 6 year car 3 years ago. The 4 year car we checked the springs and its been time to replace them but just haven't gotten around to it. To me, going 3 years on a set of springs with an LSk lobe is not too bad. Springs are cheap, just have to check them regularly.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Teching In

wow holy cam talk... thank you for the responses guys.

My car is a pure race car, and i am worried about PVC and the power band.

also some people say that the Comp Trunion upgrade is not enough for the MS4 cam. If i where to stay with it what rocker's should be used.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:34 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
LSL lobes too....

Too many folks get lost with Major/Minor intensity. I was saying this before Camking's post on the Bullet.

I know now the new thing is "Mild or slow lobes" and alot of people assume that they can decifer a camshaft lobes acceleration rates or aggressiveness based on the major/minor intensity.

But if you look at some of the lobes of several other assymetrical lobes that open fast, they automatically assume that these lobes are super agggresive without knowing the other acceleration rates along the cam lobe curve.

I got one for them to put on their spintron:
Test a XER 230 lobe and then test a LSL 219 lobe and tell me which one is more aggressive.
Unfortunately that's all most of us have to go on and except for a few examples here and there, those numbers would more often than not indicate a more aggressive lobe. I don't have a Spintron, but I know Comp does and I highly doubt Comp based their suggestions on those duration numbers alone.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I understand what the site says and that it is an LSK lobe. The part that is missing is the real world data.

I have 2 friends with MS4's and they have their valvetrains adjusted perfectly they drive their cars for 200 miles or more on the weekends during the summer months and down here we have 9 months of summer. In that time, they go to the track and they street race. One cam has been in the car for 6 years and the other car has had its cam for 4 years. We replaced the springs in the 6 year car 3 years ago. The 4 year car we checked the springs and its been time to replace them but just haven't gotten around to it. To me, going 3 years on a set of springs with an LSk lobe is not too bad. Springs are cheap, just have to check them regularly.
A guy here in Houston that runs one of those big name LS shops with a three letter acronym saw 30whp going from an LSK lobe cam to an XER lobe cam with nearly identical timing and less lift. The LSK lobe would lose stability at higher RPM whereas while still not exactly "mild", the XER cam held out to increase peak power and power thereafter.

The point is, relatively speaking, the LSK lobes are more aggressive and harder on valvetrains than almost any other hydraulic roller design out there. Unless you have a stiff and light valvetrain, the LSK is going to beat stuff up.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
I hear ya,

I thinking about Isky and UD Harolds lobes. If you were to look at Isky's lobes by the major/minor they would show to be like XER's or faster.
but yet you don't hear about Isky lobes tearing up valvetrains. Same goes for some others.

Comp's lobes are just talked about here alot because a lot of vendors here us them. Most members buy what they see.

Good bench racing talk.
I can't saw I've heard of anyone running either of those cams. EPS/Cam Motion has been the alternative to the Comp stuff and always seems to have good results.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I think what has you in a pickle is your two goals in combination. Trying to get 500rwhp out of a stock displacement 6 liter is a tall order requiring an aggressive camshaft. That type of aggressive "max effort" camshaft is not a great of choice for your drift racing where the engine will spend long periods of time at high RPM.

I would instead choose an endurance grind with a nice broad power and without the focus on an arbitrary peak HP number.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Thank you. What is considered an endurance cam? Honestly I would be happy between 450-500 hp... The car is only going to be about 2500-2600 lbs.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm620
Thank you. What is considered an endurance cam? Honestly I would be happy between 450-500 hp... The car is only going to be about 2500-2600 lbs.
Comp, Crane and Lunati all have less aggressive lobes available that lend themselves to endurance use and are easier on the valve train. You can talk to them about your application. Also, I believe EPS(Engine Power Systems) has done a lot of testing on valvetrain stability for endurance situations and he specializes in LS race applications of this type.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Speedtigger: thank you for the help.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 PM

I would go with a 92mm fast instead of 102. Unless you already have a 102. Personally never seen a 102 make but a couple hp over a 92. Plus 92 well have more midrange power. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Teching In

I already have the fast 102.

With all this cam talk let's move to the rest of the list... What do you all think about the heads, valve springs.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 PM

My brothers lq4 through a Dana 60 rear made 485hp and 444trq. His top end includes
92mm fast with 92mm tb
Comp cam, can't remember exactly what the specs on the cam are
Trick flow 225s milled to 59ccs with yella terra rockers
Fly cut pistons
1 7/8in kooks headers

Maybe a custom cam from Martin at tick would help you reach your 500 hp goal.

Quick Reply: Need more opinions on my LQ9 top end build