Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Why is my DOD so retarded? (Cam timing issue)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Default Why is my DOD so retarded? (Cam timing issue)

Has anyone degreed in a cam on a DOD crankshaft? Are the keyways in a DOD crankshaft cut to a different position than a standard NON-DOD crankshaft?

Reason I ask is I recently installed a new aftermarket isky cam. Originally just threw the cam in 2* advanced and ran it. Car ran horrible. So I got out the degree wheel and an OEM timing set. Come to find the cam is 6.5*retarded to the cam card “Dot to Dot” with an OEM gear set. (8.5* total!) I thought I had a bad cam so I ordered another. I got the exact same 6.5* retarded reading “Dot to Dot”. With an adjustable timing set I was able to get the cam to degree in .5* Adv from the cam card spec. Put the car back together and it’s a monster. Went from 160 to 195+ cranking compression. Sounds completely different, revs faster and makes a ton more power.

IMO I’ve pretty much eliminated the timing set’s as I have used 1 older OEM set and one brand new OEM set with the same results. And I’ve eliminated the camshaft error. 1 or 2 degrees may still be in the camshafts, but the majority I believe to be in the crank keyway positioning.

Anyone else degree a cam in on a DOD 5.3? (LC9 I believe, 2008 alum 5.3, no variable timing on this one) If you didn’t and your down on power, you may want to!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot speak to the keying of the DoD cams but I'd think jumping a tooth so you aren't dot to dot would get you close so you can fine adjust with the timing set.

At the crank is ~16* and at the cam ~8* per tooth.

Quick Reply: Why is my DOD so retarded? (Cam timing issue)