Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Thump sound when braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thump sound when braking

I recently changed my fuel pump and while i was down there installed the panhard relocation unit from bmr. everythings been fine no more exhaust sound banging on the panhard bar , but now whenever im backing up as soon as i press on the brake theres a loud "thump" in the rear end dont know exactly where its coming from but if i put the car in gear and barely let of the clutch there's the sound again but not as loud as when im applying the brake in reverse any ideas on what this could be? i already checked and made sure everything was tight dont know what else to do
Old 06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Could it be a bad torque arm mount/bushing letting the torque arm hit the tunnel? Have you checked that?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM

i have not, i just had a co worker tell me that! might put the car on a lift today after work and see if thats the culprit.... how will i know if that's what it is?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Take a look at the rubber for damage and try pushing up/pulling down on it. Also look above where the mount is in the tunnel for dents or marks where the arm could possibly thump the tunnel.

Could a possible trans mount do this also? When my trans mount was shot there would be a heavy clunk from a dig but my motor mounts were shot also.

Here's my torque arm mount...

Here it is with the bushing out.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:18 PM

thanks for the pics, i remeber when my trans mount went bad and the sounds are not the same with a bad trans moiunt the tranny would bang on the frame of the car. this sound is nowhere near the sound of a bad tm but ill definetly keep an eye out for it once i raise it thanks!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know if you figure it out, I've been having the same problem and I checked everything I can think of from broken bolts on the torque are and lca to all the bushings with no luck. Mine only does it when I break hard and then when I start to roll forward again. Kind of like I'm loading pressure on something breaking and the releasing it by moving forward again

Quick Reply: Thump sound when braking