Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Head Suggestions for Lightweight LS2 402ci Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW Dave, I love the idea! A lightweight stoker bottom end is real cool. The LS7 bottom end can't be beat IMO. I think you will need to work hard to get a piston to work well with the rods to ensure balance and good light weight. To give you a for instance of the difference in pretty light and light, the LS7 bottom end is some 3# lighter than my rotating assembly! That's a ton! This is why you may see good power out of forged bottom end LS7 monsters, but great power is had with the stock rotating assembly. John B is pushing 680 wheel NA and that's with a completely stock bottom end. It light. Real light, and the pistons give you a total seal netting you more power.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

One last thing, with my buddy as an example, I believe with the right H/C setup and your light rotating group, 580 can be had. It'll take the right matched combo, but I feel it can be done. Get ready to enjoy 7k+ RPM shifts! They're great fun!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We'll find out where the intake, be it a stock LS7 or hogged out Fast, will start to fade.

I can't go sheet metal on this and kill my midrange. I don't want to shift the powerband TOO high. However some 3.90's are definitely in order...

I'm not sure about the cam from Chris. I had really hoped to get that from Ed. I'll be talking to Chris more when the time comes.

Jesus, I've still got to break the news to the wife. Or, I can just hide it really well
Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
We'll find out where the intake, be it a stock LS7 or hogged out Fast, will start to fade.

I can't go sheet metal on this and kill my midrange. I don't want to shift the powerband TOO high. However some 3.90's are definitely in order...

I'm not sure about the cam from Chris. I had really hoped to get that from Ed. I'll be talking to Chris more when the time comes.

Jesus, I've still got to break the news to the wife. Or, I can just hide it really well
As long as Ed and Chris talk about the heads and the cross sectional area, you should be cool. Martin talked with Chris on mine.

BTW, you're going to love spinning it high it's addictive!

As for the intake goes, we're seriously limited with vettes. The Fast 102 for the LS7's will definitely pick up torque under the curve, but it doesn't really show gains HP wise until you go with a big stick. I need one now with my current cam, and it'll be my next mod as soon as the wallet recovers some.

Also, with my current cam, Martin has showed (at least me) lifting it high on the intake side will promote good torque down low and give you good drivability even with a giant stick!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vararam has a new intake coming on the market that should be interesting. Dual plenums and single throttle body. Should fit a Corvette. The components can be changed depending on the size of the motor and the modifications. Supposedly out late this Summer.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The LS7 intake is good for 7k+ on a 427... the 402 with small bore LS7s should still be good for 7500+ which is about as much as you want with a hydraulic roller. I think some titanium valves, CHE bronzed bushed rockers, and short-travel lifters are in order.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

That's interesting... Research tomorrow, I will.

I'm happy I get to use the 1.8 rockers, but yeah, I want a cam on the "larger" side of the house. Only time I'm under 2500 is the interstate, and power is just a downshift away.

Ed will have no issue talking to Chris I'm sure. I asked Chis about hollow valves and he said as small as they are, it would be pointless. I trust him. But definitely Ti retainers (BTR kit)

Heads are high... But screw it. It'll be worth it.

Clutch will be from Monster. Just torn on the LT1-S or the LT1-SC twin discs...

And yeah, if the intake will keep up, I have NO ISSUE going 7400 or so at least. The pistons will be light too, from JE. At least I know which ones now... The 12*
Old 07-14-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm happy I get to use the 1.8 rockers, but yeah, I want a cam on the "larger" side of the house. Only time I'm under 2500 is the interstate, and power is just a downshift away.

Ed will have no issue talking to Chris I'm sure. I asked Chis about hollow valves and he said as small as they are, it would be pointless. I trust him. But definitely Ti retainers (BTR kit)

And yeah, if the intake will keep up, I have NO ISSUE going 7400 or so at least. The pistons will be light too, from JE. At least I know which ones now... The 12*
Spinning it is fun! Dave I get what Chris is saying, and you can trust him, he's a great dude... BUT you're not planning on taking the heads back off for awhile and you want to spin it high, so, if it was me, I'd lighten the valves as much as possible. Your bottom end will be setup to spin, you mine as well make the top end able to spin high with good valve control.

I also agree completely Jake! 7500 is about all you'd want to go IMO. That said, if it's making power, let it eat! You're going to love how power up top doesn't fall off... It just flattens out. No downward turn, the motor will just keep pulling... It seems pull endlessly

Also, I'm running Lunati link bars and they're well worth it. Morel's or Johnson's would be great as well IMO. Initially, I had LS7's in, but bleed down was terrible due to them being overwhelmed by spring pressure. They were noisy and I felt like at any moment, they (being the weakest link In my motor) were going to crater. Switched over to the link bars, and even though they're heavier, they're much quieter due to slower leak down.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:25 PM
The Scammer Hammer

What intake are you running, 427? I need to go as big as possible. Might even go speed density with this one too, after having it before. I really liked it.

I'm partial to Halltech, but I'm all ears. Currently running an aftermarket bridge and Blackwing now.

I'll do whatever it takes to maintain 100kPa at WOT
Old 07-16-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What intake are you running, 427? I need to go as big as possible. Might even go speed density with this one too, after having it before. I really liked it.

I'm partial to Halltech, but I'm all ears. Currently running an aftermarket bridge and Blackwing now.

I'll do whatever it takes to maintain 100kPa at WOT
For cold air, I'm running the Halltech LS7 intake. I also looked into the LG Carbon LS7 intake.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 427zm
For cold air, I'm running the Halltech LS7 intake. I also looked into the LG Carbon LS7 intake.
No issues with the bridge fitting over the radiator or anything?

90mm LS2 TB?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

No issues with the bridge fitting over the radiator or anything?

90mm LS2 TB?
Nope and that's with the Dewitt's Radiator. And yes, I'm using an LS2 TB.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you splurge for the GM Titanium valves if you can afford it. Its only going to help the valvetrain.

Quick Reply: Head Suggestions for Lightweight LS2 402ci Stroker