Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Do these bearings look good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do these bearings look good?

This is one of the main bearing, looks pretty good, the ends of the bearing looks to be worn smooth in comparison to the rest of the bearing.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Teching In

and here is a rod bearing:

Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 PM
74u
TECH Regular

How many miles on them? What kind of miles (commuting to work vs. racing and constantly beating on it).

They don't look bad, but they show wear. If it took 80k miles to get here then great, but if they only have 5k on them I might be concerned with the rate they are wearing at.

Why did you tear the motor down?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Teching In

128k miles on them, just bought the motor and going through it before I boost it. Ring gap was still at .014 :O need to open them all up for the turbo. Figured if they are worth replacing then now is a good time.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are going to turbo this engine you better replace these bearings AND set them up properly.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
74u
TECH Regular

128K miles - those look fabulous. The motor was taken care of IMO.

Still, for piece of mind I would throw some fresh Clevite bearings in it and maybe polish the journals while you are in there.

On the other hand, I bet it would last just as long if you didn't do anything and just bolted it back together.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Teching In

The parting line really won't show any wear because it's designed to be thinner there to have more clearance. Those look good. The one thing I wonder about though... And I can't really prove it but it makes sense... The main caps are surface ground so rough from the factory where they meet the block that you can see the marks it left in the block. These marks are grooved and fit the main cap like a puzzle. Kinda like the cracked cap rod but formed in a totally different fashion. I have always been hesitant to try and put a cap back on and get it in the original grooves. Theoretically, if you have it moved forward or back the slightest amount, your vertical bore ID will be too big. I'm sure I'm just overthinking it. I just think it's better to get a fresh align hone job done so the caps are nice and flat on the bottom. The block is still marked but at least the caps are square.

Quick Reply: Do these bearings look good?