Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Advise please. 6.2 L92 for Pro Street.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise please. 6.2 L92 for Pro Street.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the LS world but have been a mechanic and drag racer over 20 years. I currently have a 7 second Chevelle (1/4 mile) so I'm no stranger to HP. I picked up a L92 for a 71 Chevelle Pro Street car I'm building and I have a new TH400 I'll be using. I need to know what cam, lifters and push rod length to use or if there is a kit available. I'll have to delete the variable valve timing too, not sure what's involved there. Its getting a Holley high ram intake with there injectors and throttle body. Not sure on injector size, lots to choose from. I'll be running Holley Dominator ECU as well. This will be a street car only so good drivability is very important. But I also want as much power as I can get out of this stock 6.2 with just a cam and intake change. Any advise would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:57 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Go check out the dyno section, lots of results there for different combos.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

SDPC has a package that includes all the parts to convert over from DOD, and or VVT. It includes the valley cover, timing chain set etc.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Wiebe
Hi everyone. I'm new to the LS world but have been a mechanic and drag racer over 20 years. I currently have a 7 second Chevelle (1/4 mile) so I'm no stranger to HP. I picked up a L92 for a 71 Chevelle Pro Street car I'm building and I have a new TH400 I'll be using. I need to know what cam, lifters and push rod length to use or if there is a kit available. I'll have to delete the variable valve timing too, not sure what's involved there. Its getting a Holley high ram intake with there injectors and throttle body. Not sure on injector size, lots to choose from. I'll be running Holley Dominator ECU as well. This will be a street car only so good drivability is very important. But I also want as much power as I can get out of this stock 6.2 with just a cam and intake change. Any advise would be awesome. Thanks.
I installed a L92 in my 1970 GTO. Follow the link in my signature and many questions will be answered for you.

Andrew
Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

It'll look cool but probably not the best intake for a stork bottom end.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks. I followed it for a while. Great thread. I've decided to go my own way on this build. I like to try different things and learn along the way. I've got the intake and Holley EFI system coming. I'm probably going with a custom cam grind, after reading about all the different cams people are using its hard to decide on one, I'll let the cam company decide. I tried to find the Edelbrock headers you have but cant find them. They look pricy though. I might just build my own unless something comes up. Right now I'm just saving and collecting parts. I won't get to work on the car till spring. I own and operate a repair shop and always have customer winter projects filling the shop. My shop projects along with mine are posted on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn
Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I installed a L92 in my 1970 GTO. Follow the link in my signature and many questions will be answered for you.

Andrew
Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Wiebe
Thanks. I followed it for a while. Great thread. I've decided to go my own way on this build. I like to try different things and learn along the way. I've got the intake and Holley EFI system coming. I'm probably going with a custom cam grind, after reading about all the different cams people are using its hard to decide on one, I'll let the cam company decide. I tried to find the Edelbrock headers you have but cant find them. They look pricy though. I might just build my own unless something comes up. Right now I'm just saving and collecting parts. I won't get to work on the car till spring. I own and operate a repair shop and always have customer winter projects filling the shop. My shop projects along with mine are posted on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn
If you want to check out a cool engine, look at my Cougar build.

Andrew
Old 12-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Very nice.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Andrew
I started reading through your thread today as I also am looking at a L92 motor for my 69 Firebird. The guy has already deleted the VVT and also installed an LS7 cam and timing chain. Everything else is stock, so I'm trying to research and see what else needs to be done to basically switch it over to an LS3 with the bigger cam. My original plan was to source a LS3 with a Hot Cam, and Dave over at Schwartz performance said I would like the LS7 cam better than the hot cam as the power/torque came on lower in the rpm range and was a little flatter. Any other advice you might want to share Andrew, should I decide to go this route?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nativefx
I started reading through your thread today as I also am looking at a L92 motor for my 69 Firebird. The guy has already deleted the VVT and also installed an LS7 cam and timing chain. Everything else is stock, so I'm trying to research and see what else needs to be done to basically switch it over to an LS3 with the bigger cam. My original plan was to source a LS3 with a Hot Cam, and Dave over at Schwartz performance said I would like the LS7 cam better than the hot cam as the power/torque came on lower in the rpm range and was a little flatter. Any other advice you might want to share Andrew, should I decide to go this route?
All I can do is share my experience with you and you can decide if it is something that will work for you.

For the GTO I wanted a very mild cam that wasn't going to beat up the valve train. I did this swap back in 2008 and the LS7 was relatively new at the time. When I saw the cam specs, it felt like it was an excellent street cam and I knew that being a factory cam the lobes would not be too aggressive. I did upgrade the valve springs, but other than that, my engine is basically stock.

It idles super smooth, pull 20 inches of vacuum, and most people that get a ride in my car are shocked when I step on it. On the highway you can lug it down below 1500 RPM and it doesn't complain. When I had 3.73 gears, it would break the tires loose from a slow roll. With the 3.42 gears that I have now, it won't do that, but it is still fast enough for me. My car is almost 4000 pounds with me in it, and the car has run a best of 12.5x at 115 mph.

Read post #354:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...553683&page=18

Hope all that helps.

Andrew
Old 12-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Read post #354:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...553683&page=18

Hope all that helps.

Andrew
Hmmm, when I'm viewing it doesn't give consecutive post counts throughout the thread. It just goes by page and then starts at #1 again on the next page.....
Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Post by Grim64, towards the end.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Advise please. 6.2 L92 for Pro Street.