Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New LS2 build, looking for tips while it's out

Old 12-31-2014, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default New LS2 build, looking for tips while it's out

After fighting a ~30hp loss in my LS1 for a while now I decided to take it apart and a friend sold me his low mileage 24x LS2 shortblock.

Cam Motion 230/238 113+3 .620/.600 similar to my current EPS cam (which was a comp grind and is not reusable due to extreme wear and starting of pitting after ~20k miles)

799 heads with hand porting and a fresh performance valve job, milled .010" now and will get a minor cleanup pass

GM MLS head gaskets, ls7 lifters, new ls2 chain/dampener, etc.

reuse my converter, headers, intake, underdrive, etc

I have a knock sensor relocation harness and need to do same for cam sensor. Also have a ls2 front cover, valley cover, and timing sprocket. New ARP head bolts will also be ordered.

Anything I am not thinking about or thoughts on the build?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have everything you need for a pretty good build. For the timing chain the LS2 chain is good but I can offer a better chain for a little more money that will work with your original GM gears and not have any clearance issues. We have released a HINSON C7-R timing chain. Its the strongest single roller on the market, due to it having a seamless roll pin unlike other chains that have a seam that will stretch over time. See the links below for further info and purchasing.

LS7 lifters will be a good choice for the power you will make with this engine but dont forget to use a good set of pushrods and measure with a pushrod length checker to make sure you get the right length. Don't guess here. We see it time and time again people say, well my buddy said to use ...... Don't go by that buy the checker its cheap and make sure, every engine and camshaft setup are different. Don't forget new trays for the lifters as well. Also something to look at upgrading are rockers. Its not a necessity to put some crazy expensive full blown race rocker on this car but a nice set of full rollers are always nice. Maybe something like a Comp Ultra Gold or at the very least upgrade the GM rockers with the Comp trunion upgrade to make sure your not dropping needle bearings down in the engine over time is always good assurance. Like I said above rockers are not a must but nice feature to have for a little extra performance.

On to head bolts. Don't I repeat Don't reuse the bolts in the engine. They are a one time use bolt that is designed to be replaced after each time they are torqued down. I would recommend ARP head bolts at least and maybe consider upgrading to studs. The benefit to studs other than they are for higher HP application is something you will appreciate is that the stud threads down into the block until they bottom out and then you use the supplied nut to torque the heads down which keeps you from possibly stripping a hole out in the block. Usually people go with the bolts because for example in the F-body cars it makes it nearly impossible to get the heads off while the engine is in the car. If your putting this in your 71 Chevelle you will have more than enough cowl clearance to get the heads on and off without issues.

All in all your on the right track. Use quality gaskets, you will be glad you did, and you should be just fine.

Click the Links Below to See the Product Info & Pricing

HINSON C7-R Timing Chain

Pushrod Length Checker

Pushrods

Rocker Upgrade Options

Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade for Your GM Rockers

ARP Head Studs

ARP Head Bolts
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks!

I do have a pushrod length checker and will measure once it's together. I used 7.4" on my ls1 build due to the older style lifters I was using which like more preload.

I also have ARP head bolts, a new crank pulley bolt, new GM LS2 MLS head gaskets, new ls2 chain/dampener, and will probably do the Tooley trunion upgrade.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Getting close now! Hoping to put the trans in this evening then button up the intake and headers/plugs/wires and it will be ready to rumble.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Who worked those heads?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

a local guy here, he's a SAM graduate with a Sunnen, flow bench, and valve grinder...did it as a favor but I tipped him some cash too

flowed 306cfm @ .600" on a slightly oversized bore plate and he surfaced them for me so they now have a total of .013" taken off...not going to set the world on fire but for less than the cost of the valvejob anywhere else I couldn't be happier with them, they looked a lot better after I washed them out real good

I got the car fired last night, holds over 70psi cold oil pressure and the throttle response is crazy good (open headers might have been helping that). Going to button up exhaust, driveshaft, cooling fans, etc tonight.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

glad you got her fired up.....looks good in there; hope it makes decent numbers for you
Old 04-27-2015, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

sounds great and drives amazing, torque is up a LOT from the old combo...my rear tires hate me

I've spun it as high as 7000 during tuning and it was pulling hard even up top. Going to try a 6800 shift point and see how it runs and adjust from there.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds snotty.....I'll be making a similar swap only a tad milder as my wife occasionally likes to row the gears...LOL...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New LS2 build, looking for tips while it's out