LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   Here's the Flow Chart for FRH LS3 heads:-) (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1766093-heres-flow-chart-frh-ls3-heads.html)

slowsol95 03-05-2015 04:23 PM

I bet a lot of his customers don't post build threads on the internet.

carbuff 03-05-2015 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix (Post 18697486)
What is the price difference between the FRH TFS LS3 heads and the FRH RHS LS7 heads?

I think $400 if I recall correctly. The ported TFS heads I just purchased were $3400, and I think Chris told me yesterday that the RHS heads are $3800. We talked a lot of numbers though, so it's possible I may have that mixed up with another one. The All Pro's are a much bigger step up in price above the TFS.

Now, the problem is, he can't get RHS castings right now. He really likes the RHS from our conversation, but they are severely constrained so he can't regularly offer them...

carbuff 03-05-2015 04:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by KCS (Post 18697552)
How do the heads look?

Not exactly sure how to answer that, but I think they look great. :) I'll paste some quick cell phone pictures which I took below.

Chris does some very nice work. I spent a couple of hours at his shop yesterday discussing my heads, intake, and the work that he does. He had a little bit of everything in there: LS, BBC, SBF, Subaru, some old straight-6 heads, and plenty of others I didn't recognize. He also had some high-dollar sheet metal intakes in there he was working with.

He also ported my Victor Jr. intake to match the heads. He matched the ports at the flanges, opened up the 4150 opening at the top, and smoothed the transition to each runner. We discussed a more detailed level of port work he could do, but it was considerably more expensive and not necessary for my application.

Originally Posted by KCS (Post 18697552)
How long until you can get some results? I haven't see anything above average come from FRH, especially considering how much his stuff costs.

Soon I hope. My application isn't a composite manifold setup though. This engine is in a pro-touring Firebird that sees street time and auto-x / track days. I'm definitely not after a big dyno number. If anything, I have a bit of an odd combination. I want as broad of a torque curve as I can get, yet I'm running the Victor Jr. which is generally thought of as more of a high-RPM intake due to the shorter runners.

Chris and I had a long discussion about my goals. He put together a custom port setup for my heads which use a relative large port with a tapered down throat close to the valve. Jesse, mentioned above, works for Chris as his CNC programmer, and he was able to combine the 2 different setups pretty quickly to then apply to my heads. Chris said this combination picked up about 6 cfm over his normal 'small' port TFS program. I don't have a full flow chart yet, but he told me 311 @ 0.400" and 398 @ 0.700" I believe. I don't really care, I just want to see how they perform on the car...

The rest of my combination in case you are interested:

LS7 block, honed to 4.127"
Wiseco pistons, 4cc valve reliefs
Callies DragonSlayer crank 4" stroke, 2" pins
Compstar 6.125" rods
FRH ported TFS GenX heads, 66cc chamber, 268cc-ish intake port
BTR 0.660" Platinum springs, Titanium retainers
Lightweight 2.165" intake valve, 1.60" exhaust
Cometic 4.130" x 0.051" gaskets
EPS speced cam (238/248, .629/.604, 114+5 with EPS lobes)
Morel 5315 Lifters
Manton 3/8" pushrods (details not determined until assembly is done)
GM LS3 rockers with Harland Sharp trunions
Victor Jr. intake, ported by FRH
Accel 1550 CFM 4150 throttle body
1 7/8" Tri-Y Headers, 3" dual exhaust

The static compression ratio should be right about 12:1, and Geoff at EPS targeted 8.8:1 dynamic compression.

My goal is a motor that peaks around 6400-6600 with a rev limit at or less than 7200. No drag racing for me, street and track time only.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. I'll post in the dyno section once I have results.

Here are the pictures I took of the heads.

Attachment 680452

Attachment 680453

Attachment 680454

Attachment 680455

Attachment 680456

carbuff 03-05-2015 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JimMueller (Post 18697480)
I spoke with Jesse again moments ago and while he's recommending going with the TFS heads instead of the new LS3's because the cost is so 'close', I just don't come up with the same numbers. Unless my math is wrong or I'm missing items it still appears to be a ~$1200 surcharge to go with the TFS's. I also learned they charge $400 to open up pushrod holes in the head, assuming the material is there, so I'm skipping that :eek2:

2 GM 12629064 assembled heads @$500 = $1000
1 BTR Platinum valvespring kit w/ Ti retainers $299
Machining, milling, assembly ~$1400
Total ~$2700, plus shipping

1 FRH TFS LS3 head, $3400, includes:
- porters castings
- machining, cleanup, assembly
- milling
- SS intake & exhaust valves
- Cnc'ing
- spring seats
- valve seals
- Valvesprings of choice
- Ti retainers
- Locks
1 TFS Rocker stand adapter (to use factory rocker arms) $150
1 set of hollow intake valves $285
Total ~$3850, plus shipping

Am I missing something?

I just went through the exact same decision. As you can see in my previous post, I ended up with the TFS. However, I made a mistake when I was thinking through the costs, and in my spreadsheet, the numbers were much closer... Had I had the numbers right, I would have likely have gone with the LS heads.

My numbers were:

$2490 for the LS3 heads, assuming I was going to start with a pair of castings that cost $850. (I had struck a deal from here for a new pair at that price, including shipping) Chris specifically told me yesterday that he could take any used pair and work them, given that he mills all 3 flange surfaces. So you should be able to start with a much cheaper option vs. the $1000 if you want to.

$3550 for the TFS. Chris actually talked me out of the hollow intake valve for my application. He had a custom lightweight solid valve which we used instead. I think the hollow valve for the TFS heads would have been maybe 5g lighter, but for me and my application, it wouldn't have made much if any difference. So you should discuss that further with him.

Regarding the pushrods, the TFS heads 'should' clear a 3/8" pushrod. Can't speak to the GM heads. though. I will be able to confirm that next week or so once I have mine together.

Rise of the Phoenix 03-05-2015 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by carbuff (Post 18697908)

I think $400 if I recall correctly. The ported TFS heads I just purchased were $3400, and I think Chris told me yesterday that the RHS heads are $3800. We talked a lot of numbers though, so it's possible I may have that mixed up with another one. The All Pro's are a much bigger step up in price above the TFS.

Now, the problem is, he can't get RHS castings right now. He really likes the RHS from our conversation, but they are severely constrained so he can't regularly offer them...

Yeah, from what I've seen him post on YB, he really does favor the RHS heads, even over the MAST heads.

andrelossem 03-05-2015 06:18 PM

$1100 dollar difference. One thing I've noticed is FRH flow past .700 on there Ls3 heads and most other CNC programs stall around .650 to .700 lift.

WE TODD DID 03-05-2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by andrelossem (Post 18698050)
$1100 dollar difference. One thing I've noticed is FRH flow past .700 on there Ls3 heads and most other CNC programs stall around .650 to .700 lift.

It's all in the what the cylinder head is designed for. If you have a camshaft that is .6xx lift like 95% of the LS crowd, you won't need anything that flows past that. Getting them to flow past .700 just requires short turn work. The last set I did I opened the valves to .900 and they never backed up.

JimMueller 03-05-2015 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by carbuff (Post 18697952)
I just went through the exact same decision. As you can see in my previous post, I ended up with the TFS.

Looking forward to some real-world before & after results. I won't use more than ~.620" lift for my application, how far past your max valve lift do you need to worry about port stall? I don't see myself using the TFS's at all.

KW Baraka 03-12-2015 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by KCS (Post 18618531)
......it's a system of parts that all have to work together........

"System" is the key word to remember when properly spec'ing and building an engine.

Having great, high-end parts is all fine and well....but if these separate parts can't interact well with each other, the results will be......disappointing'.

KW

1sick_eg 03-12-2015 06:04 PM

I should have some results here soon. Just got my ls3 FRH ported castings installed. Unfortunately I switched from a hydraulic roller to a solid, so that adds something else into the equation. The two should compliment each other well however.

Just have to finish setting up the rockers on Saturday and get her back on the dyno.

SydwayZ 09-14-2015 12:23 AM

What's the difference in Max valve lift between Frankenstein CNC'D ls3 GM heads vs. the trick flow 255X Frankenstein CNC'D heads.?
I know that the 255x have a 12° valve angle as compared to the GM LS3 15°.

Can .750" lift be ran on either?

KW Baraka 09-14-2015 12:52 PM

You probably want to call Frankenstein Racing for the answer to your questions.

KW

carbuff 09-14-2015 01:24 PM

I have a set of FRH ported TFS GenX Square Port heads. The flow chart keeps climbing up to the last measured point at 0.9" lift. So I expect that running a 0.750" lift would be no problem.

But call them and speak to Ray or Chris. They will take good care of you.