Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

07 corvette lost oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 07 corvette lost oil pressure

Hey everyone. So I was driving my 07 corvette (85k miles) yesterday, had been driving about 1-2 hours total running errands. I got in after leaving the bank, and was waiting to turn out, and got a low oil pressure alarm on the DIC. Gauge showed maybe 10-20 psi, so I pulled into the closet parking lot and shut it off. I let it cool down, checked the oil (level was good, nothing metallic in it) and cranked again. This time it showed 0 psi. I shut it down immediately, and waited again. This time I cycled the DIC to the oil pressure page, and cranked one last time. The gauge showed nothing, the DIC showed 1 psi. Got it towed to my dads' friends place with a lift.

What are some common problems or possibilities? I went ahead and ordered a melling oil pump, just in case its the pump itself. The valvetrain has always been noisy (bought it about 3 months ago, had a cam, btr spring kit, btr pushrods, new ls2 timing chain, ls2 dampner), but it sounded slightly noisier than usual.

I'm leaving for Vegas sunday morning, so my dad's friend said he would check it out for me while i'm gone if i'd like. I plan on at least getting an actual mechanical gauge on it tomorrow while I have time. Could it be the sensor or gauge? I read some topics on here and it mentioned either the oil relief valve or the sending unit. Any ideas?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Launching!

I've seen alot of the bypass/relief valves on the stock pumps stick open. That's probably all it is.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Launching!

So if it is the relief valve sticking, how can I assure that it doesn't stick again? Is it better to just replace the pump all together, since I'm assuming it has to come off to see if it's stuck / get it unstuck?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The valve train being noisy points to the pickup tube O-ring not being seated properly and thus sucking air; aerating the oil and a complete inability to effectively pump the lifters up against the new stiff double springs.
The bypass could be stuck from metal created if the pump was not installed properly (shimmed) and then the geroter gears begin to tear up the inside of the aluminum housing....could also be that someone who disassembled the pump than put the gears in upside down and the beveled edge is now against the cover so the sharp edge is gouging the aluminum housing.
Hope all works out for you....gosh it would really suck to have to call Texas Speed and order a 402" stroker kit....

Quick Reply: 07 corvette lost oil pressure