Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Dry Sump Oil Routing Flow

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS7 Dry Sump Oil Routing Flow

Can someone explain the oil routing on the LS7 dry sump setup. Looks like there is 3 large oil pump holes in the pan plus the outlet from the pump into the motor...can someone lay out all the directions of flow. I see which goes where , just trying to figure out how it pulls from the on and sump and output to the motor and tank?
Old 03-08-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MattKatz
Can someone explain the oil routing on the LS7 dry sump setup. Looks like there is 3 large oil pump holes in the pan plus the outlet from the pump into the motor...can someone lay out all the directions of flow. I see which goes where , just trying to figure out how it pulls from the on and sump and output to the motor and tank?
Pretty much all dry sumps work on the same principle. The scavenge section pulls oil from the pan and pumps it to the external oiling tank, where it is deposited in the top, and the spins around the tank, allowing trapped air to escape. It then ends up in the bottom of the tank, which is connected to the input of the second pump stage, which then feeds pressurized oil to the engine. One other thing to realize is that a Dry Sump oil pump is actually several pumps combined in to one housing. Aftermarket pumps can have as many 6 stages of scavenge, but typically only a single pressure pump. I am sure someone will post a diagram here that helps explain it visually.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Teching In

The LS7 dry sump system is only 2 stages, one scavenge and one pressure. The scavenge line out to the tank as well as the supply line coming from the tank uses passages from the pump that are routed from the o-ring ports under the pump to the pan through the cast alum oil pan to the passenger side of the pan (this is both the tank return and tank supply lines). Then there is a double hose assembly that routes these two lines to and from the sump tank on the passenger side of the car.

The pressure side from the pump is also routed through the pan to the oil filter on the drivers rear side of the pan.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vito.a
The LS7 dry sump system is only 2 stages, one scavenge and one pressure. The scavenge line out to the tank as well as the supply line coming from the tank uses passages from the pump that are routed from the o-ring ports under the pump to the pan through the cast alum oil pan to the passenger side of the pan (this is both the tank return and tank supply lines). Then there is a double hose assembly that routes these two lines to and from the sump tank on the passenger side of the car.

The pressure side from the pump is also routed through the pan to the oil filter on the drivers rear side of the pan.

Hope this helps.
Hi Matt,

I highly recommend you use a Peterson 80 micron inline oil filter in the scavenge feed back to the tank, the nice thing about these metal mesh filters is that you can clean and inspect them visually to make sure that the engine is not 'eating' itself, particularly if you are using the standard Titanium rods, which can and do rub together on the cheek's of big end's and then instantly gall. When and if that happens all the Ti shaving's are readily seen and will alert you to a potential disaster.

Are you planning on running an oil cooler?

Cheers,

Mark.

Last edited by KiwiKid; 03-08-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

See. One of you gets how an LS7 Setup is set up and the pother guy is used to aftermarket Dry Sump. The LS7 Uses an internal Pump that bolts where a stock style LSx Wet sump pump goes, and I guees I am wondering how the internal working of the LS7 pump varies from the standard wet sump pump. And everything you said above may be correct except for the fact that pressurized oil isn't routed through the pan to the filter, its routed from the pump, through the first oil passage, down to the filter on the pan, and then back up in to the block for distribution. I do know that much. Is there a flow or pump diagram floating around for the LS7 Dry Sump specifically....Ive seen a Wet Sump LSx style flow chart.

And As far as an Oil Cooler, No, as this is a race only application, and Its a modified LS7 Setup on top of that with a Universal Peterson Tank and Turbo plumbing.

Last edited by MattKatz; 03-09-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

I figured out what is what with some research and I made this little diagram of a pump to hopefully help anyone else who runs across this question. I know it was simple, and once I saw the exploded pic of the pump, I knew exactly how it worked, but until this I did not. I couldn't see inside my assembled motor to know what ports did what in the system, and since mine was slightly modified, it threw me for a little loop doing plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails LS7 Dry Sump Oil Routing Flow-ls7-oil-pump-diagram.jpg  

Quick Reply: LS7 Dry Sump Oil Routing Flow