Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

l96 truck caught fire motor any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default l96 truck caught fire motor any good?

I am a noob to your site. So this makes for a great first post!

Any ways
I bought a 2012 l96 out of a burnt hd. Was said to only have 22k miles before truck caught fire.
So I am taking the heads to machine shop next week to get them checked. I have pulled cam and bearings look great on the cam. I am strongly thinking about pulling the crank to check bearings.

Questions!
Do you think I should have block hot tanked and magnafluxed? Should I take crank and block to machine shop when I take the heads?

I bought a theft recovery they took motor and Trans and seats. It's a 2010 silverado crew cab 1500. I am still looking for parts lol what ever u got lmk

Thanks guys love the site
Old 05-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine should be fine, except for the plastic intake manifold and some of the sensors. If you already have it apart why not rebuild it? I would not bother to Magnaflux the block unless you have reason to suspect it was damaged somehow. Clean everything well, lightly hone the cylinders, and reassemble it with new rings, bearings, and gaskets. Have the shop check the valves, seats, guides, and springs. This is an excellent time to add a cam that suits your application. When you are done you will have a better than new engine.

If you do not want to disassemble the short block it will be fine. Just have the heads checked and put it back together with new gaskets. You are going to need a new intake manifold and injectors.
Best of luck!

Quick Reply: l96 truck caught fire motor any good?