Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

7k+ rpm na 5.3...?

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7k+ rpm na 5.3...?

Just curious to see if anyone has built a High rpm na 5.3.WHat kind of tracks times? Est hp? Tossing ideas around as my engine is torn apart, completely. I plan on forging the bottom end. Have around an 11.5:1 cr in the end, maybe even higher and run e85. ANy reason that is a bad idea? Its an L33. I have hand ported 799's for it and would like to use those. Its going in a fox body with a t56, and 4.10's out back for now. I have a edelbrock proflow intake and 60lb deka injectors. 90mm throttle body. Pac 650 lift dual springs. Looking into a LLSR for a cam from cam motion.

Anyone have any insite?

I mainly just want a really hard running na 5.3. Why? Why not go 6.0? Or a big stroker? Because everyone else does that and this is what I want to do. Street/strip car. And when its on the street it will only be to upset people so drivability is not an issue.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U can get 7grand with the set up but the valve train has got to be willing or in other words buying the correct : Cam, lifters,rocker-arms,springs, and valves. One problem you ARE NOT going to have much TQ as any factory style intake does not go up to or pass 7000 rpm. Put your plan on paper and and call KIP @ Cam Motion to see what he thinks... the compression would be good @ around 11:5 to 12:0 with a cam that gets you up to 7 grand this way you can still run 93 octane as the bigger cam will Bleed off cylinder pressure and cut the middle man called detonation out. You may be able to get a little higher like 12:2 with the correct cam choice. I know of a few hyd roller guys TWISTING there engines up around 7400 rpm...Sounds good doesn't it with a maintenance FREE hyd roller. You would get more with a solid roller set -up but I think your more with just keeping things simple and not going overboard in cost with the solid roller.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Agree with Lil John speak with Kip @ CAMMOTION.
Actually if you are putting this in a Fox check to see if the LSXRT
Truck intake fits. if it does that would be the Best Intake,
Ported or not, with your 90 MM TB, allot more torque! and the same
Top end as your Edelbrock.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

I've built a few high rpm blue oval small blocks and a ton of import motors that rev'd like liter bikes. For the valvetrain, lil john's advise on who to talk to is very good. Most of your problems are going to come from valvetrain control and rings. There are several opinions on the bottom end. I personally use the lightest pistons and rods that fit the budget, good cast pistons shine in this application if they are available. Ring selection and setup is something that you will need to pay attention to if you want it to live. Read up on what they do to Cup motors to get them to work, a lot of it is applicable.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Launching!

For a budget, hydraulic will be cheaper, but not by much if you're putting in quality hydraulic lifters. You're looking at around $700-$900 more for a quality low lash solid roller setup vs. a quality hydraulic setup. To top it off you'll have better valve control and more power.

If you were dead set on hydraulic, I wouldn't use anything other than a Johnson lifter. They will run you between $500 and $850. The Morels are a nice piece as well, but I like the Johnsons better in a hydraulic setup.

If not, you can get a set of quality drop in Morel solids for around $350 and pick up a set of t&d rockers for around $1000 and Rev to the moon.

Either way you go, I highly recommend using Cam Motion. You won't find a better company to deal with. Promise.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep valvetrain light. 7500 regularly with nice 230/240 cam, ls7 lifters, trunion upgrade, good beehive spring, good thick pushrod. Vic super would work killer.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Looks like ill be getting in touch with Kip here in a little while. Got a couple things to do before that call happens lol Ill try to keep the thread updated. May be a while between each post as im not racing to get this done. Id rather have all the goods at once and done right then wish I would of done something different after its done. And its personally my first engine build for me. Should be a pretty stout set up once its running. And yes ill see this project through tell its running down the strip!

Question. What would be the better of efi routes to go? Would a gm 411 ecu work fine that's tuned for the set up with hptuners? I don't have holley or hptuners but a friend has hptuners who is very knowledgable and could at the least get a solid basetune to work from.

Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are doing E85 go with 13.5 / 14 to one compression and let it rip you can do this with your stock pistons and heads just ask dogsballs how is done then contact Patrick G to spec the cam for your rpm shift points car weight purpose and so on.

Is best to contact him after you select your compression then he will guide you true the rest of the parts selection for best results as he likes light weight valve train parts

HTTP://www.guerragroup.com/#!canshaft-help/c1m05

Select motorsports then camshaft help

Originally Posted by 5FOX3
Just curious to see if anyone has built a High rpm na 5.3.WHat kind of tracks times? Est hp? Tossing ideas around as my engine is torn apart, completely. I plan on forging the bottom end. Have around an 11.5:1 cr in the end, maybe even higher and run e85. ANy reason that is a bad idea? Its an L33. I have hand ported 799's for it and would like to use those. Its going in a fox body with a t56, and 4.10's out back for now. I have a edelbrock proflow intake and 60lb deka injectors. 90mm throttle body. Pac 650 lift dual springs. Looking into a LLSR for a cam from cam motion.

Anyone have any insite?

I mainly just want a really hard running na 5.3. Why? Why not go 6.0? Or a big stroker? Because everyone else does that and this is what I want to do. Street/strip car. And when its on the street it will only be to upset people so drivability is not an issue.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAMSTER;18805325[B
]If you are doing E85 go with 13.5 / 14 to one compression and let it rip you can do this with your stock pistons and heads just ask dogsballs how is done[/B] then contact Patrick G to spec the cam for your rpm shift points car weight purpose and so on.

Is best to contact him after you select your compression then he will guide you true the rest of the parts selection for best results as he likes light weight valve train parts

HTTP://www.guerragroup.com/#!canshaft-help/c1m05

Select motorsports then camshaft help
I was more asking if its worth it I guess for the way higher compression. Stock parts will not be used here though. Junkyard dog +6cc dome tops and forged rods and crank too. Pretty certain Ill be having Martin at tick spec out the cam. That's the plan anyways
Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5FOX3
I was more asking if its worth it I guess for the way higher compression. Stock parts will not be used here though. Junkyard dog +6cc dome tops and forged rods and crank too. Pretty certain Ill be having Martin at tick spec out the cam. That's the plan anyways
I honestly prefer an ls3 cause it won't be much more and pay back with big power and can be done stock pistons rods and crank and heads with same porting.

But if done rite the 5.3 can be a very stout contender in a light car.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
I honestly prefer an ls3 cause it won't be much more and pay back with big power and can be done stock pistons rods and crank and heads with same porting.

But if done rite the 5.3 can be a very stout contender in a light car.
That's the plan. I wanna keep what I have. The plan has already changed twice so im sticking with this lol I figure the aluminum block will keep weight down. Rowing gears ftw!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be glad to spec you out a cam sir!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

7k is nothing. I turn my bolt-on ls6 that hard on the stock springs. With the psi springs in it now I've been think about setting the limiter up to 7200. Find a set of 243s with the light valves and spin dat bitch.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I'd be glad to spec you out a cam sir!
Perfect! Ill get In touch with you shortly
Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Welp there is a turbo on order...how that happened Idk lol vs 88/83. Clone of the pt88. Ill start a thread in the forced inductions section once a couple more parts show up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7k+ rpm na 5.3...?