Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

trying to understand the LS7 oil pump system...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trying to understand the LS7 oil pump system...

So, I'm trying to understand how the LS7 dry sump oil system works. I understand the dry sump concept. What I am trying to understand is the pumping system and where the pumps are located...

There is a scavaging pump and a high pressure pump right? Both of these pumps are located internal to the engine? The oil pan completes the oil passageway by providing an outlet to the oil reservoir and also provides an inlet from the same reservoir to support the high pressure pump (or maybe better described as the pump that provides oil to the engine components).

Does this sound right?
thanks.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah that's pretty much it.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowcountry
So, I'm trying to understand how the LS7 dry sump oil system works. I understand the dry sump concept. What I am trying to understand is the pumping system and where the pumps are located...

There is a scavaging pump and a high pressure pump right? Both of these pumps are located internal to the engine? The oil pan completes the oil passageway by providing an outlet to the oil reservoir and also provides an inlet from the same reservoir to support the high pressure pump (or maybe better described as the pump that provides oil to the engine components).

Does this sound right?
thanks.
Hi again LC,

In principle you are correct, however, to be more specific the LS7 has a two stage Gerotor style pump mounted within the front cover. The Gerotor's are driven by the spline on the front snout of the crankshaft, so its debatable to say its internal in the engine, as is a conventional internal oil pump, yes, it's covered by the front cover, but its not within the sump pan, or the engine block.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Hi again LC,

In principle you are correct, however, to be more specific the LS7 has a two stage Gerotor style pump mounted within the front cover. The Gerotor's are driven by the spline on the front snout of the crankshaft, so its debatable to say its internal in the engine, as is a conventional internal oil pump, yes, it's covered by the front cover, but its not within the sump pan, or the engine block.

Cheers,

Mark.

Alright, thanks guys. I like to try and understand how things work before I go tinkering with them.

Quick Reply: trying to understand the LS7 oil pump system...