Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New guy with a couple questions about a LQ9 build Calling all Gurus!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a couple questions about a LQ9 build Calling all Gurus!!

Gentlemen-

I'd like to start by saying what an excellent resource this forum has been. I finally decided to buy a LQ9 and join the forum. I've learned a lot from reading the threads, and I'm looking forward to learning even more by doing a build.

The engine will eventually go in my Ultra 4 style off road buggy. Power goals are 600ish HP at the crank, all motor.

Here's the parts list with a $8500 budget:
Junkyard LQ9 with 100k miles (already have it)
402 Stroker kit with whatever pistons TSP recommends to get me in the 11:1 compression area with a Cometic gasket. I'll only run pump gas. 2618 Pistons
Chevy Performance CNC ported LS3 heads (upgraded springs)
ARP Studs
Proper LS3 Rockers for the heads
Chromoly push rods
Holley Hi Ram intake
Holley TB
CTSV water pump
Alternator Relocation Bracket
PSC steering bracket
LS2 Oil Pan
Cam: I have no idea. I'll be calling one of the pros for recommendation. Cams scare me.... any recommendations on who I should turn to?

Here's my questions:
Stripping the block down to nothing for the stroker kit, should I replace the cam bearings?

Would pistons with relief cuts be preferable to allow for a bigger/longer duration cam?

Will a simple hone by a machine shop allow for 4.005 pistons with the stroker kit? Or should I have the cylinders bored and step up piston diameter? The cylinder walls are in pretty good shape as it sits.

What is a good option for valve spring upgrades?

Do the timing chain and sprocket need to be replaced with a higher-end unit or are the factory parts okay?

Thank you in advance and I'll continue to research as well.

Last edited by Patches LQ9; 07-21-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: New guy with a couple questions about a LQ9 build Calling all Gurus!!