Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is a standard oil pump (non-DOD) okay to use when doing a DOD delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is a standard oil pump (non-DOD) okay to use when doing a DOD delete?

I am doing a DOD delete on my L76 G8. It has a lot of miles on it and I happen to have an extra oil pump on hand in case the one in the motor looks rough. However, the extra I have is a regular non-DOD oil pump. Is this okay to use when doing the DOD delete?

Also, would the pressure bleed valve in the oil pan cause me any issues with the non-DOD oil pump?

As far as I can tell the non-DOD oil pump is good to go - just want to be sure.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

As far as I have read, your original oil pump will work fine. You shouldn't experience any oil pressure spikes either high or low. It's a high volume pump from the factory, which is good for you now that you no longer have all those extra passages. As for the relief valve, remove it and replace it with an oil plug. Dorman 65386 is a suitable plug. It must be stated though that leaving it there will have no ill effect on your engine performance per se. However, the relief valves are known for squirting oil at a piston and contributing to oil consumption. On the other hand, the main purpose of it is to prevent over-pressure. (most oil filters have bypasses in them for this anyway) I would get rid of it personally, but that's up to you.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would replace it with a normal flow and either normal oil psi or the higher pressure version.

I just finished mine up with Melling 10295 (10% increased psi) and I love seeing 30psi hot at 600 rpms and I have seen up to 80 psi at WOT.

It's all psychological I am sure, but I hated how low the oil pressure got with the stock pump. The rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm though, and I assume you're deleting DOD to put a bigger cam in = higher revs above 6k. Well, the relief valve will bleed off at 55 psi, so it kind of breaks that rule of thumb if you don't plug it.

Quick Reply: Is a standard oil pump (non-DOD) okay to use when doing a DOD delete?