Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

C5Z 430" build thread... ERL, PRC, SRD, DLRE.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5Z 430" build thread... ERL, PRC, SRD, DLRE.

Hey guys... just wanted to start this build thread here and list what I've got/what I'm doing and see what people have to say or if they have any suggestions or tips for me.

Car is an 02 C5Z.. I took the stock motor combo with S trim out in favor of a ERL dry sleeved block at 4.135", Callies compstar stuff with Wiseco -2.8cc flats for 11.7:1... DLRE; Dustin Lee Race Engines is the builder, he's out of Lancaster, Ca and has tons of LS experience as he runs an LS3 in his bracket dragster. Here's the setup...

4" X 4.135"... 430" 11.7:1
PRC 265 LS7 2.2/1.6 heads, stock 1.8 rockers with Straub trunions and 3/8" .120 wall pushrods
Lunati/Morel billet .750 wheel link bar lifters
Martin spec'd 243/259 113.5+3 cam motion ground. (Kip has gone above and beyond with an issue I had, great people to deal with over there)
MSD Intake w/ NW102 TB
Kooks 1 7/8" X 3 headers
LS7 MAF in a 4" pipe with a vararam setup
Trans and diff are both rpm builds and stock 3.42's for now.
Fuel, I've got stock rails with bosch greens (~50's) and the walbro 340lph pump
25% underdrive balancer

Really hoping to touch 600rw with this thing shifting at 72-300 along with some decent tq...
Attached Thumbnails C5Z 430" build thread... ERL, PRC, SRD, DLRE.-photogrid_1448527854151.jpg   C5Z 430" build thread... ERL, PRC, SRD, DLRE.-img_20151011_103107.jpg   C5Z 430" build thread... ERL, PRC, SRD, DLRE.-img_20151120_195812.jpg  

Last edited by FRiCK; 06-22-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Should be a real monster in a 3080 pound car. F ing awesome
Old 12-16-2015, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRiCK
Hey guys... just wanted to start this build thread here and list what I've got/what I'm doing and see what people have to say or if they have any suggestions or tips for me.

Car is an 02 C5Z.. I took the stock motor combo with S trim out in favor of a ERL dry sleeved block at 4.135", Callies compstar stuff with Wiseco -2.8cc flats for 11.5:1... DLRE; Dustin Lee Race Engines is the builder, he's out of Lancaster, Ca and has tons of LS experience as he runs an LS3 in his bracket dragster. Here's the setup...

4" X 4.135"... 430" 11.5:1
PRC 265 LS7 2.2/1.6 heads, stock 1.8 rockers with trunions and 3/8" .080 wall pushrods
Lunati/Morel billet .750 wheel link bar lifters
Martin spec'd 243/259 113.5+3 cam motion ground. (Kip has gone above and beyond with an issue I had, great people to deal with over there)
Stock LS7 intake with ported 90mm for now
Kooks 1 7/8" X 3 headers
LS7 MAF in a 4" pipe with a vararam setup
Trans and diff are both rpm builds and stock 3.42's for now.
Fuel, I've got stock rails with bosch greens (~50's) and the walbro 340lph pump
Underdrive balancer

Really hoping to touch 600rw with this thing shifting at 72-300 along with some decent tq...
Unfortunately you're going to be way short of 600rwhp, I'd say closer to 540-560.

I have an ERL 434, PRC 285 heads, ported LS7 intake, LGM Super Pros 1 3/4 headers with cats and full 3" exhaust thru the mufflers, Halltech Killer Bee, 250/258/.652 cam, 12:1 and I'm at 580whp. Torque will be good though, 400+ at the wheels @ 2500
Old 12-16-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh maaaann... lol

What dyno did you make your numbers on?

Last edited by FRiCK; 12-16-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

I built a 427 with the same PRC heads and Mast 4500 intake. Brian Tooley sent me a 246/251 cam. Not sure why you need so much split on your cam. It's almost like it was spec'd for stock LS7 heads.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill71
I built a 427 with the same PRC heads and Mast 4500 intake. Brian Tooley sent me a 246/251 cam. Not sure why you need so much split on your cam. It's almost like it was spec'd for stock LS7 heads.
Maybe cuz it's kind of a weak exhaust port? I also said I may spray it down the road.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the cam is spec's by Martin, it'll perform well. I will suggest bumping you're static CR up from 11.5:1 if possible... But living in the land of fruits and nuts, along with 91oct fuel may put a damper on that. Now, E85 and you're golden... And you'd reach your goals. Go w/ a LLSR spec's by Martin, a Fast 102, and a NW 102 and 650+ would be obtainable. Regardless, I applaud the effort, I know what you're in for, as I too built a ERL 434 a couple years back. Hope your budget is flexible.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427zm
If the cam is spec's by Martin, it'll perform well. I will suggest bumping you're static CR up from 11.5:1 if possible... But living in the land of fruits and nuts, along with 91oct fuel may put a damper on that. Now, E85 and you're golden... And you'd reach your goals. Go w/ a LLSR spec's by Martin, a Fast 102, and a NW 102 and 650+ would be obtainable. Regardless, I applaud the effort, I know what you're in for, as I too built a ERL 434 a couple years back. Hope your budget is flexible.
As of now I own all of this, so it's paid for. I'm gonna stay the course and get it in the car, have some fun and in 3 days when I'm bored I'll probably rip it apart lol I did 11.5 because my tuner said that all he wanted in it with the 91 gas so he could still put some ti.ing in it.

Have a feeling it'll go something like PRC 285's, 13.5:1, a bigger LLSR, shaft rockers, E85.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Ahhh maaaann... lol

What dyno did you make your numbers on?
Dyno jet.

It pulls through 7K and I usually shift at 7-7100.
New stock rockers with the BTR truninon kit and Lunati race Hyd lifters

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 12-17-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Maybe cuz it's kind of a weak exhaust port? I also said I may spray it down the road.
The exhaust port is fine and the heads overall perform well, the fact that you're using 265's will help your low and mid range torque and I don't think will cost you more than 15-20hp on top so their not a bad choice.
Better choices (Allpro, MAST) wont net you more than another 15-20 and likely up top for an additional $3k.

I do think you'll need more cam and compression to make your number but you'll still be limited by the intake whether it be a ported FAST or a ported LS7 intake (which I don't believe there's more than 7-12 hp in it over a ported LS7).

If you can run E85, hike that compression up as high as you can go.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

If you can run E85, hike that compression up as high as you can go
and you will need more injector. That car will be a BEAST!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ide love to run e85, the availability here in nor cal just isn't what it needs to be for me to feel comfortable. I like to drive my car places, bay area, tahoe ect.

I think next winter I'll have the heads gone over by hand, do some T&D and talk to Kip about an LLSR. And get my static up as high as I can with whatever cam I go with for an acceptable DCR for 91.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Ide love to run e85, the availability here in nor cal just isn't what it needs to be for me to feel comfortable. I like to drive my car places, bay area, tahoe ect.

I think next winter I'll have the heads gone over by hand
, do some T&D and talk to Kip about an LLSR. And get my static up as high as I can with whatever cam I go with for an acceptable DCR for 91.
Dont, there is little to be gained unless you're doing a valve job and changing the angles. PM'd you
Old 12-19-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Frick,
Check out CorvetteForum, A member posted Dyno and track results
With Tony Mamo ported MSD Intake gained ~ 50 RWHP on Dyno
Vs Stock LS7 Intake backed up by 4+ MPH TRAP Speed Increase
In 1/4 129-133 MPH under similar DA and since increase to 135+
with better Air. Probably 20+ RWHP better than MAMOFIED FAST 102!

Also if you could PM me with a good PH# for Dustin, I'm looking
For a potential builder for my engine and have heard & read
Good things about him as well. I am just South & West of SF.
Thanks.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

I think next winter I'll have the heads gone over by hand, do some T&D and talk to Kip about an LLSR. And get my static up as high as I can with whatever cam I go with for an acceptable DCR for 91.
Navy Blue just pointed me your way....you need to run one of my ported LS7 MSD intakes. I will take it back from you if you arent absolutely stoked with the results (not too many shops offering money back guarantees in this industry).

Im not joking....if you don't feel the gains were worth the money you spent mail it back to me for a full refund.

I just shipped one to a customer overseas and recently got his independent feedback as well....he tunes the car himself and hasn't been to the dyno yet but he said it feels like he just did a head swap. For the money spent and ease of install (its a causal afternoon bolt on), it doesnt get any better and it will really help you step up your program.

When your in the market for better LS7 heads come talk to me as well.....I have a killer OEM head program and an even better program using the TFS castings. Well over 400 CFM...

Cut me loose on the intake.....you wont be disappointed!

Here is the thread on the forum that Dan was referencing where my other customer picked up a ton of power in his stock headed C6Z (its a cam only car that's now flying with the addition of the ported MSD I helped him with)

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...d-results.html

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 12-19-2015, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Frick,
Check out CorvetteForum, A member posted Dyno and track results
With Tony Mamo ported MSD Intake gained ~ 50 RWHP on Dyno
Vs Stock LS7 Intake backed up by 4+ MPH TRAP Speed Increase
In 1/4 129-133 MPH under similar DA and since increase to 135+
with better Air. Probably 20+ RWHP better than MAMOFIED FAST 102!

Also if you could PM me with a good PH# for Dustin, I'm looking
For a potential builder for my engine and have heard & read
Good things about him as well. I am just South & West of SF.
Thanks.
Thanks for the heads up on the MSD LS7... last I talked to Tony he was leary on them, looks like that's changed lol

Dustin says you can reach him on his cell or on Facebook, pm coming to you.

Tony, I will be talking to you soon about the intake.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for the heads up on the MSD LS7... last I talked to Tony he was leary on them, looks like that's changed lol

Dustin says you can reach him on his cell or on Facebook, pm coming to you.

Tony, I will be talking to you soon about the intake.
You know how many "best thing since sliced bread" items in this industry haven't panned out?? LOL

They are a little rough around the edges out of the box however (I even have to rework the injector openings when I port them), but the basics are there and after dialing in the runners much like the FAST intakes I work on, the end results are almost better than I could expect. Truthfully I love the runner layout, size, cross section, and "angle of attack" it has on the intake runners of the head (straighter shot than the FAST), but I was never thrilled about the way the front runner impedes the entrance from the TB opening.

Bottom line, the motor doesn't seem to care about that and I always default to the dyno when I think Im "smarter" than the end results....LOL

At first glance I was questioning the effectiveness of the intake only due to the "crowded" entrance situation....but felt the rest of the layout was sound (barring the typical production issues handled with the grinder). The results (which is all that matters) clearly show that there is enough room for the air to pass around that front runner and get into the twin plenum area ultimately taking advantage of the more optimal runner layout that I immediately liked when looking it over.

But yeah....ported properly to handle some of the production shortcomings it works extremely well....almost better than it ought to but I'm not going to complain about that!

Get in touch with me at your convenience and lets talk about it....hoping your game for giving it a try!

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 12-19-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony, care to give a brief breakdown on the heads you mentioned above? Ide be interested in something like that at a later date, like after I recoup from what I've just spent lol I got these 265's damn near new for a steal, which is why I went with them for now.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
You know how many "best thing since sliced bread" items in this industry haven't panned out?? LOL

They are a little rough around the edges out of the box however (I even have to rework the injector openings when I port them), but the basics are there and after dialing in the runners much like the FAST intakes I work on, the end results are almost better than I could expect. Truthfully I love the runner layout, size, cross section, and "angle of attack" it has on the intake runners of the head (straighter shot than the FAST), but I was never thrilled about the way the front runner impedes the entrance from the TB opening.

Bottom line, the motor doesn't seem to care about that and I always default to the dyno when I think Im "smarter" than the end results....LOL

At first glance I was questioning the effectiveness of the intake only due to the "crowded" entrance situation....but felt the rest of the layout was sound (barring the typical production issues handled with the grinder). The results (which is all that matters) clearly show that there is enough room for the air to pass around that front runner and get into the twin plenum area ultimately taking advantage of the more optimal runner layout that I immediately liked when looking it over.

But yeah....ported properly to handle some of the production shortcomings it works extremely well....almost better than it ought to but I'm not going to complain about that!

Get in touch with me at your convenience and lets talk about it....hoping your game for giving it a try!

Cheers,
Tony
Damn Tony! Quit working miracles or I'm going to have to find another project car! That was impressive results on the other thread and ARE YOU KIDDING ME, a money back offer?! Who the hell does that these days?!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by tadams72
Damn Tony! Quit working miracles or I'm going to have to find another project car! That was impressive results on the other thread and ARE YOU KIDDING ME, a money back offer?! Who the hell does that these days?!
Yep....must be the Holiday eggnog effecting my business sense!

Im excited about the results and feedback I have gotten so far (clearly) and its nice to see another company step up to the plate regarding the LS induction choices we have.

Frick....kind of difficult to give you an abridged version and convey all there is to convey but suffice to say both programs involve a CNC ported head and hand finishing and are both very optimized versions of a great port architecture to begin with. Alot of emphasis was also placed on the exhaust side which is really the Achilles heal of this design which has alot of intake flow in stock trim but is very weak on the exhaust. I take a head that's 58% exhaust to intake ratio and fatten up the flow on both sides but with the gains in the exhaust representing a higher percent improvement and you end up with a head that flows alot more and has a much better relationship with an E to I ratio of approximately 65% which is alot easier to cam around as well.

Bottom line.....when your closer to moving forward with something lets discuss in more detail and go from there.

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Quick Reply: C5Z 430" build thread... ERL, PRC, SRD, DLRE.