Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

"Remanufactured for General Motors" engine identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Remanufactured for General Motors" engine identification

Hello. I put together a junkyard 5.3 and slapped a turbo on it and made 601whp with it for a while now. It's been great, but now I'd like some more power, so I was going to build myself a stronger engine.

I purchased a L33 engine from the junkyard and when it got here I was pretty excited about it, but then saw the tag glued on it "Remanufactured for General Motors". Dang it! I would much rather have a stock one with 200k miles on it versus a rebuilt engine that I don't know who built it did... Is there anyway to look up what was done to the engine? I Googled it and I only found it one place that it was mentioned, but wasn't able to find the site they were actually using.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/4467/oem-and-re...s-and-trucks/2

Has anyone seen these and know more?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most manufactures outsource their remanufactured engines and transmission. All of those remanufactures have to meet certain guide lines in order to get the contract from the auto manufactures as they have to warranty it.

GM, Ford, Dodge and some of the Japanese car makers outsource their remans. Mazda actually uses a company in South Carolina to reman their rotary engines.

There is no way to figure out what was done other than pulling the engine apart and start measuring crank journals and bore size.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info FD. Very interesting. From the way you worded it it sounds like these engines are backed up by GM, as in, if a customer needed an engine at a dealership they could get him one of these as a "GM remanufactured" engine.

I got a pretty good deal on the engine but I'd really rather not take it apart to check everything out, and I don't know if I should risk running it as is either since I'll be making so much power on it. Sounds like I'll have to think about it and make my own decision. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: "Remanufactured for General Motors" engine identification