Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Swap Help

Hey folks,
How are you all doing? I have recently sold my motorcycle and have funds in preparation to purchase my motor for my RX7. I need some assistance on where to go get one either built or just bolt on.
What I am looking for is the ultimate goal of over 500 RWHP and a daily driver. I am in Alabama so I don't have to worry too much about emissions so I am going long tube headers and exhaust. Can someone point me where to go? My pocket is only 9K deep so that is all I got to play with right now. Thanks
Old 04-18-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out scoggindickie Chevrolet
They have a complete 525 hp engine for a little less than $8000
Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
Check out scoggindickie Chevrolet
They have a complete 525 hp engine for a little less than $8000
Nah.....you don't want that one.

Get a complete base 430 HP crate LS3 --->> http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...gines/ls3.html

The only different between that 525 HP LS3 and the base LS3 is the cam. And that cam really isn't all that impressive.

Put a 'real' cam in that crate engine along with some 'real' valve springs, and you can get 50 to 100 HP more than that '525 HP' LS3.

In any case, either engine will come with a (2 year?) GM warranty.

KW

NOTE.....Scoggin Dickie has these engines for a bit less. They don't seem to have the base LS3 crate motor but they do have the 480 HP crate motor that's about $1000 less than the 525 HP crate. Again, the only difference in these engines is the cam....so I'd look at buying the least expensive (lowest HP LS3) they have and sticking a custom cam in it......

https://sdparts.com/i-19928374-chevr...ine-480hp.html

Last edited by KW Baraka; 04-20-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I had that thought at one time myself, but I think I talked myself out of it because
I wasn't sure how the warranty would work if I put a different cam in the less expensive
one, I did not check on it though it may not make a difference. I sure liked the idea of having
everything all at once, as far as engine goes.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a $9000 budget, I would sit down and make a spreadsheet with all the parts needed for a swap, engine mount, trans, fans, wire harness. Once all the secondary things are tallied for, with what you have left it will basically tell you what engine to get.

You can go with a dropout, which sometimes you get the deal but you never know the condition of the block until you turn the key. It will run close to the price of a crate engine, but comes with all the accessories which is nice to have.

As difference in why getting a crate instead of a built one, well, crate is built by GM so it is doubtful you will run into any issues with the engine. In fact you can get the LS3 480hp for $6300 from Summit shipped to your door. Plenty of power there, use the 2 yr warranty for anything that can happen in between but it is rare that you will ever need to place a claim. After that you can swap the cam if you want to. You will need a harness for it, plus ECM and pedal. Plenty of harness swap people around, I used www.bp-automotive.com and had great experience with them.

I have learned my lesson, I have spent well over what a crate LS3 engine would have cost rather than going with a engine builder which then turned out to be a bad experience. Live and learn as they say, but if I had to do this all over again, I'll buy new GM crate engine and know that at least I will not have an issue with the engine build.
The following users liked this post:
MShea (09-26-2022)
Old 04-21-2016, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

If this budget includes headers/exhaust, PCM/harness, then you better start looking at used motors. Parts add up fast.

Www.norotors.com is the best v8 rx7 swap forum.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebtarta
With a $9000 budget, I would sit down and make a spreadsheet with all the parts needed for a swap, engine mount, trans, fans, wire harness. Once all the secondary things are tallied for, with what you have left it will basically tell you what engine to get.
Yea I already bought everything but the engine, headers, exhaust and transmission. That is why I made sure I would have all swap parts before the biggest purchase which would be the drivetrain.

If for any chance it is easier to get a legitimate builder to build me an LS3 stroker for a decent price then I would. The cheapest builder I saw that has good stoker engines are Texas Speedwords. But that is pushing my budget.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
Nah.....you don't want that one.

Get a complete base 430 HP crate LS3 --->> http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...gines/ls3.html

The only different between that 525 HP LS3 and the base LS3 is the cam. And that cam really isn't all that impressive.

Put a 'real' cam in that crate engine along with some 'real' valve springs, and you can get 50 to 100 HP more than that '525 HP' LS3.

In any case, either engine will come with a (2 year?) GM warranty.

KW

NOTE.....Scoggin Dickie has these engines for a bit less. They don't seem to have the base LS3 crate motor but they do have the 480 HP crate motor that's about $1000 less than the 525 HP crate. Again, the only difference in these engines is the cam....so I'd look at buying the least expensive (lowest HP LS3) they have and sticking a custom cam in it......

https://sdparts.com/i-19928374-chevr...ine-480hp.html

Would buying the crate engine and swapping the cam void the warranty though?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
Would buying the crate engine and swapping the cam void the warranty though?
Maybe.

No way to know unless you contact GMPP ask......

KW
Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what i put in my CTS-V this weekend, should make over 500 rwhp and drive great. Have less than $7k in it

LS3 shortblock
Ported LS3 Heads by Frankenstein racing with dual valve spring and Ti Retainers 11.0:1 compression
Ported LS3 Intake by Frankenstein racing
Ported LS2 Throttle Body by Frankenstein racing
LS3 Injectors
Custom Frankenstein racing cam 233 dur .630 lift intake 246 dur .605 lift exhaust 113 +3 LSA
SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley
ARP Rod Bolts
Melling High Pressure Oil Pump
Comp Cam Rocker Trunion Upgrade
ARP Head Bolts
Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffle
Norris Motorsports Catch Can
and a bunch of misc parts for the LS3 Swap

Hoping for 500-525+ RWHP.

Video - with exhaust

Quick Reply: LS3 Swap Help