Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSX stroked rotating assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSX stroked rotating assembly

Looking for opinions on the best option for stroked LSX block 428 or maybe 454.I already have the block now.
Block is going to machine shop anyways, would you rather buy individual parts, let machine shop balance or buy a balanced assembly? Any saving either way? Not really looking for anything out of the ordinary as far as rotating assembly goes. Probably looking for around 700 hp at least for now.
What about GMPP balanced LSX rotating assembly, its more money at over 3100. 454 displacement could be nice in a 1970 Chevelle. Whats the opinion on these parts compared to Callies or Scat etc? The 4.185 bore doesn't seem to be very popular, esp. with rotating assembles at least in kit form but I have found DSC pistons in this size. Im sure others make them too,
The 4" stroke (with a 428)seems to be a safer bet for durability but 4.125 doesn't seem to bother GM at least with a LSX block.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Go big or go home!

454!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1029-ts...-assembly.aspx

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1263-ts...-rot-assy.aspx

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1023-ts...-assembly.aspx

KW
Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Balance Rotating Assembly

My method, "save" the block for future needs, thus 4.130" bore, 4.125" bore, 4.00" bore, .etc.

My "down under" LSX customer bought my IGN-1A coil kit for use with NOS.

The block was bored @ 4.200", when the dyno (bench) was done, with spray activated, the block cracked at the deck between the bore/stud hole.

He sent a picture, will send if a PM request is made.

My quote :

1. 4.130" RaceTec pistons with pins, rings, and wire locks
2. 4.10" Crankshaft
3. Forged "H" beam with ARP
4. 58x Target Wheel, welded onto crankshaft
5. Balanced @ 52% over
6. King Rod & Mains

The cost would be under 2K.

There are TWO "deck" LSX block heights, which is yours ?

Would that be of interest ?

Lance
Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,thanks for that Texas Speed link, I always kinda figured those guys would be too good(hence expensive) for me but Im wrong there ! now if I go big either way 427 or 454, what about heads? Just recently I got a pair of CNC LS3 heads. (still can't get over how big those intake ports are!) but as everyone knows the LSX can use 6 bolt LS7 heads, and they can flow even better. But Im in these ex katech owned heads (from EBAY) at $710.00. And I have a lot to buy. How much more can I expect if I pay the dollars necessary to step up to LS7 heads? I know one big advantage is the 6 bolt clamping force, but at 700 +-hp is that advantage really necessary and justifiable for the money? I guess heads could be updated later with minimal work, but I need to kinda plan the build for one or the other.. the pic everything on this engine is just half hanging on there but I had get a visual for extra motivation!
Attached Thumbnails LSX stroked rotating assembly-img_0274.jpg  
Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hawssie
Ok,thanks for that Texas Speed link....
No problem!!

Originally Posted by hawssie
......Im in these ex katech owned heads (from EBAY) at $710.00......How much more can I expect if I pay the dollars necessary to step up to LS7 heads? I know one big advantage is the 6 bolt clamping force, but at 700 +-hp is that advantage really necessary and justifiable for the money?.....
These Katech heads.....are they LS3 heads?

How much you spend will depend on whether you go aftermarket or OEM.

That much having been said, no sense in going with big cubes if you're only gonna smother the engine with inadequate heads. And NOTHING kills power from a performance engine like inadequate heads!

With that block, I'd go with OEM LS7 heads......at the very least......with consideration to going with aftermarket heads later on. LS7 versus LS3 isn't that much more expensive if you're starting from scratch and if you're going with OEM parts. You'd be talking about maybe a $500 difference.

BTW.....this 700+ HP. Is this from the engine......or at the wheels?

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 11-10-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: LSX stroked rotating assembly