Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ported ls7 heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ported ls7 heads

These heads were cnced by ips motorsports. bronze valve guides..these heads had guides installed 7k miles ago and were toast. will post vid. first i'd like to share some porting pics and what i did to these heads...The wing in the bowl area,This wing promotes mixture motion in low air speed conditions but does nothing or actually hurts the volume flow rate at wide open throttle. When taken out , engine with larger cams operating in the 3500 to 7000rpm will pick up power across the board. When taken out and fully porting the intake ports I usually pick up 30cfm with ease. on these heads i went a little more aggressive on the throat. most of the heads I do I open to 89% the size of the valve. on these I opened them bigger on the intake and exhaust. throat and the front wing on the valve guide gets laid back. I take it out, thin the front wing up and lay the SSR apex back!. guys just because you have reworked valve guides does not mean their fixed.......

bowl.........

bowl before porting

and the heads before work with shot guides...

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 03-24-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Wow, looks Awesome!
Will you share flow#s, & port volumes?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Wow, looks Awesome!
Will you share flow#s, & port volumes?
Ports are 278 intake 99cc exhaust. flow numbers cant give out yet. the owner may chime in though.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are those with the bronze guides, before the repair?
Do you think roller tip rocker arms would help, or is there no help?
I sent mine to WCCH and they put the CHE guides in, I have the CHE installed bushed
trunnions in factory rocker's, but thinking I would rather have roller tip rocker's.
Your opinion?
Why did you remove heads? Running bad or just to check?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slogo
Are those with the bronze guides, before the repair?
Do you think roller tip rocker arms would help, or is there no help?
I sent mine to WCCH and they put the CHE guides in, I have the CHE installed bushed
trunnions in factory rocker's, but thinking I would rather have roller tip rocker's.
Your opinion?
Why did you remove heads? Running bad or just to check?
This is the 3 set of guides the guy has went through. in the video the heads had 7k miles on them after new valve job an ss exhaust valves and bronze valve guides. I ported these for a friend he is going diff route. I dont think their is a fix..just from what ive seen. here is a vid that should answer your ?? I think roller tipped rocker is always best to run with bronze guide but doesn't seem to matter much.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Allowing air and fuel to stain your ports/chambers is like urinating all over a Rembrandt
Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WCCH heads on mine, this doesnt look too promising.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Maligator
WCCH heads on mine, this doesnt look too promising.
Richard did guides for my car 2 years ago..just checked guides last month by wiggle test..heads have to come off just as bad as the heads in the vid. will get video when i pull an break down the heads.one thing i can tell you for sure its not valve seat concentricity. like ppl are saying..i checked run out on my own heads. run out was .001 dont get any better than that
Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Richard did guides for my car 2 years ago..just checked guides last month by wiggle test..heads have to come off just as bad as the heads in the vid. will get video when i pull an break down the heads.one thing i can tell you for sure its not valve seat concentricity. like ppl are saying..i checked run out on my own heads. run out was .001 dont get any better than that
So what are your plans for your heads? Did you see American Heritage and the work they do? Thoughts? Going to be a **** storm when people start finding excessive wear on heads that were "fixed".
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

So what are your plans for your heads? Did you see American Heritage and the work they do? Thoughts? Going to be a **** storm when people start finding excessive wear on heads that were "fixed".
I may try the moldstar 90 guide...but at this point if that dont fix then i'll just pull the heads every 10k an replace the worn guides ect
Old 12-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Teching In

I may try the moldstar 90 guide...but at this point if that dont fix then i'll just pull the heads every 10k an replace the worn guides ect
sad thats the point we have come to, 80k car and having to pull the heads every 10k. It seriously makes me want to dump this car and just get a zr1
Old 12-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

sad thats the point we have come to, 80k car and having to pull the heads every 10k. It seriously makes me want to dump this car and just get a zr1
I feel ya..bs for sure
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Hey Chad, Happy New Years...My WCCH heads are on the car now going on 4 years, still seem to be ok...I have Brodix BR7 heads, CHE bronze guides, and CHE rockers. Stage 2 ported and BT springs with SS exhaust valves...I watched the vid you posted, and some posts about WCCH...Could be a cause for concern on my heads...I do not have 10K miles on heads yet...But will pull them and check...

Regards, LT5 John
Old 01-01-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LT5John
Hey Chad, Happy New Years...My WCCH heads are on the car now going on 4 years, still seem to be ok...I have Brodix BR7 heads, CHE bronze guides, and CHE rockers. Stage 2 ported and BT springs with SS exhaust valves...I watched the vid you posted, and some posts about WCCH...Could be a cause for concern on my heads...I do not have 10K miles on heads yet...But will pull them and check...

Regards, LT5 John
I'm pretty sure this thread is about factory LS7 heads.
You can google and find several issues with them. Your Brodix are fine.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slogo
I'm pretty sure this thread is about factory LS7 heads.
You can google and find several issues with them. Your Brodix are fine.
I know John well he knows all about these heads...but I've seen many aftermarket heads out of spec after low miles out of spec. after market heads are not fixing the issue or i'd still be using mine. but this is just what I've seen..enough not to spend big coin on heads that arent fixing the issue..I got your number John want me to give you a call?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT5John

Regards, LT5 John
You should be fine at the moment...check at 10K miles john..at 10k my heads were at .0059 worst..so i could have made it longer
Old 01-01-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

I know John well he knows all about these heads...but I've seen many aftermarket heads out of spec after low miles out of spec. after market heads are not fixing the issue or i'd still be using mine. but this is just what I've seen..enough not to spend big coin on heads that arent fixing the issue..I got your number John want me to give you a call?
Oh Crap, I have not read of any aftermarket heads with the issue, I have
been thinking about ditching the LS7 stuff and using the MAST 295 cathedral
port, I really don't want to have to be pulling Heads every 10000 miles.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Chad, great to hear from you...yeah, some concerns about the CHE guides...I will wait a little longer then yank the heads off and check them...Call me when you get a chance, I do not have your current number...Regards, John
Old 01-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I might of read somewhere those LS7 heads were recalled for these issues. I was reading about the 2013 aniv. vette and the 7.0L engine had problems with their heads. You might want to check GM to see what they can do for you.....just a thought
GL buddy
Old 01-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hrlyhnx
I might of read somewhere those LS7 heads were recalled for these issues. I was reading about the 2013 aniv. vette and the 7.0L engine had problems with their heads. You might want to check GM to see what they can do for you.....just a thought
GL buddy
Their was a class action law suit filled last year on gm for this issue. gm wont even admit there even is a problem. Hell with GM

Quick Reply: ported ls7 heads